Start by marking “Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero” as Want to Read:
Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero

Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the Making of an Antihero

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  26 reviews
No player in the history of baseball has left such an indelible mark on the game as San Francisco Giants outfielder Barry Bonds. In his twenty-year career, Bonds has amassed an unprecedented seven MVP awards, eight Gold Gloves, and more than seven hundred home runs, an impressive assortment of feats that has earned him consideration as one of the greatest players the game ...more
Published February 20th 2007 by It Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Love Me, Hate Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Me, Hate Me

Adil
"Love Me, Hate Me: Barry Bonds and the making of an Antihero" is an excellent book written by Jeff Pearlman about the biggest figure in baseball history and probaly biggest cheater of the 20th century. Instead of just bashing Bonds for lying about using steroids and performance drugs, he interviews both sides: the critics and Bond's family. Pearlman does a good job of recapiing what Bonds did in his 20 year and how tremendous it was. He passed both Babe ruth and Hank Aaron in home runs with ove ...more
Ice
Max Anadon
Well I'm one of the multitude of Barry bashers. It's clear he used PEDs...the only thing missing is his acknowledgement that he did so knowingly. It's a sad story, and it's impossible for me to understand the world of a superstar like Barry and what life is like in an egocentric world like his. If I did not vote for him for the HOF, it would be out of spite... Incredible athelete without PEDs, but from this story, he seems to lack quite a bit in the compassion, understanding, and humane departme ...more
Tommy
Wow, in case you couldn't tell from his behavior in press conferences, interviews, and candid moments on the diamond, Barry Bonds has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Gate Bridge.

This book just confirms it - you might go in looking for the misunderstood athlete who secretly wants to be loved, who visits sick kids in the off-season.

That guy's not here. Where have all the baseball heroes gone? Pete Rose, Bonds, McGwire, Clemens - all sport asterisks next to their names in my book now.
Branden
A very interesting and intriguing look at baseball's Public Enemy #1. The facts and sources that go into this book are great, the author really took his time to make sure everything was accurate. It really paints a picture of what kind of guy Barry Bonds is and where the source of his "attitude" comes from. The author takes an un-biased view on the man and tries to point out the positive moments but by the end you learn that those positive moments are not very genuine and Barry Bonds really is a ...more
Amanda
Barry Bonds is an enigma - self-absorbed, highly sensitive, ridiculously talented. I wonder what he really thinks when he goes to bed at night - is he a victim of fame and circumstance? is he as clueless of his own responsibility as he seems? how does he reconcile his legitimate, true talent with the steroid-driven quest for the home run record? Good story, but makes me wonder if we will ever see the real end of it.
J.O. Obdin
So far a great book. Gives good insight on Barry Bonds. I can't wait to finish and see who is the real and true him!

September 24, 2012 Updated- I am still reading the book. I can really see why people dislike the book because of how a guy with great talent... Well you need to read the book to really judge him. Overall this gives good insight who Barry Bonds really is.
Kay
Barry Bonds has a split personality and the author mixed the media view with friends and teammates view. In doing so he managed to show the good side and the bad side of him. I find it a shame that he used HGH & steriods to enhance his remarkable talent. Without these drugs, he still would be a top player and now he has ruined his standing.
Benn
Bonds doesn't come across well in this book, he seems to be despised by teammates and the media, and as for the Hall of Fame debate, I expect that to rage on for a long time. No doubt the guy was a talented ballplayer whether he was clean or not, I guess only one person knows the truth and he ain't talking.
Steven
Comprehensive biography of the controversial Barry Bonds, exploring what motivates him and what tortures him.

I learned from this book that Barry Bonds is conceivably a worse person than he is portrayed in the media. He is the very embodiment of the spoiled, petulant, modern superstar.
Mark
Excellent read & look into Barry Bonds. As a Giants fan, it was tough to read (I have my own feelings on Bonds), but for die-hard Bonds fans, I imagine it would be painful and eye-opening. Definitely a must read for baseball fans, in general.
Jeff
Nothing fascinates me more than reading biographies or insider accounts of professional athletes. The lives they lead and the things they get away with are second to none. The life and path of Barry Bonds is gripping.
Tim Hickey
Good book. Couldn't stand Barry Bonds and what his bogus records did to baseball but have a better understanding of who he is and what's he's gone through. Poison in the clubhouse and hated the press.
Duane Hill
If you are going to hate some one, get some information about them. Reading this book gave a excellent insight of who really is Barry Bonds.
Luigib
Great documentation of a fraud who has zero personality!!! Just needed to get rid of him to win the World Series. Barry who??
Peter
Whether you love Barry Bonds or you hate him, you'll certainly understand him after reading this book.
Jason
Honestly, I thought this book was hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious, but hilarious all the same.
Chris
Aug 25, 2007 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who hate Barry Bonds
Shelves: sports
Barry Bonds is a jerk. Jeff Pearlan's a pretty good writer. Read this and find out why.
David
An underated book. Really tells what an enigma the subject is.
Jim
Nov 20, 2007 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any baseball fan
That you can write a compelling biography of an unlikeable person.
Gary
Barry Bonds is the biggest jerk to ever play baseball.
Kristin
Interesting read about an arrogant man.
Matt
Aug 06, 2007 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the Home Run record chase
What an uber-talented prick.
Todd
Juggal0family marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
  • Living on the Black
  • Under the Baseball Moon
  • The Kid Who Ran For President (Kid President, #1)
  • Yogi Berra: Eternal Yankee
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports
  • The Underdogs
  • Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball
  • The Mick
  • A False Spring
  • The Last Great Fight: The Extraordinary Tale of Two Men and How One Fight Changed Their Lives Forever
  • The Lords of the Realm
  • The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty: The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness
Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty The Bad Guys Won! Sweetness: The Enigmatic Life of Walter Payton Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s The Rocket That Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality