Sasquatch

Sasquatch

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  850 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Adventure lovers won't be able to put down this riveting story of a teenager who must save the "Bigfoot" from ruthless hunters.
Published April 15th 1998 by Disney-Hyperion (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Sasquatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sasquatch

Kevin
“Sasquatch” by Roland Smith,this book is about a kid named Dylan, who joins an aging field biologist on the mountains named Samuel Johnson, to try to keep his dad in control ever since he joined the sasquatch-hunting team. Dylan’s father’s mission is to find a Sasquatch and kill it, but Dylan looks out for his dad to try to stop him. But as they continued on their searches they see realize that something or someone is following them. Is it the Sasquatch is it a person, read to find out.
While I...more
Ellis Stice
Elements and Style: Roland Smith uses a simialar Style of writing like in his other book "Thunder Cave". He creates very wierd and awkward characters along with some normal ones that make the story more interesting. The reason they're awkward is because they are so obssesed with the "Sasquatch" or "Big Foot" and also they have some "interesting stories". Roland creates a humorous novel with some dark and intense moments also. I loved this book and recommend it to any reader and it's not that har...more
Elementary OBOB, book 3. I loved it! The combination of two Northwest legends (I won't disclose the second legend, or I may have to mark this review as containing spoilers) was genius. Being from the Northwest myself, I especially enjoyed the location descriptions and geographical info. But what I most enjoyed was the exciting, suspenseful, entertaining, and dare I even say believable tale of family, friendship and legends.
R.M.
Fourteen-year-old Dylan Hickock knew that something was up when he and his dad, Bill, put his mom on an airplane to Egypt. His dad had come home from a camping trip on the slopes of Mount Saint Helens... different a few months before. He always "tinkered" (one might call it, "obsessed") over one subject or another, learning everything there is to know, but when Dylan's mom left the country to finish her PhD in Egyptology, life got interesting.

Bill Hickock drags Dylan to a B.F.I. (Bigfoot Interna...more
Tyler Sherwin
The book Sasquatch by Roland Smith is a story about a young boy named Dylan and his Dad who venture out to save Bigfoot. Once Dylan's mom leaves on a trip to Egypt, his dad starts to become a little crazy and joins the big foot International group (BFI). Soon after he becomes a member Dylan realizes his leader (Dr.Flagg) is trying to kill Big Foot. Dylan then tries to stop him and joins Samuel Johnson who is an aging field biologist. Both of them then get his dad to realize he was mixed with the...more
Deanne
I loved this book. It is a definite must read. It is suspenseful, has a great message and leaves you with a great feeling. One of the best children's books I have read in a long time. Dylan's Dad joins a Sasquatch expedition. In the meantime, Dylan goes with Buckley Johnson who once (hijacked a plane) and tries to help save the sasquatch from being killed. His Dad gets obssessed with it all. I enjoyed the storyline of this book.(less)
Mitchell
this book sucks so bad i wanted to cry...honestly it just horrible in every sense of writing..
Amy Barton
Aug 12, 2009 Amy Barton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: My brother, Max
Fourteen year old Dylan Hickock is worried, but not shocked, when his Dad announces he's going to find a Sasquatch. Dylan's Father, Bill Hickock does all sorts of 'tinkering'. But he's not tinkering with random items, the way some people do, he's tinkering with his mind. He will grab one subject and, like a dog with a bone, effectively worry it to death until he knows all their is to know about it.

His newest topic are the Sasquatch, the legendary beasts of the mountains, and he is determined to...more
Kari
Again, O-Bob continues to introduce to me books in my library that I have walked by and thought...hmphf.
I put off this one - 15th read of the 16 books on the list- as I was sure it wasn't going to like it. (No, I do not save the best for last...) Low expectations? Maybe. But, as a sucker for all things mysterious and alien-like...I have always been a Bigfoot believer - so this tale of their existence and DB Cooper - well I was just suckered into loving it.
Kobe Lynch
This book Sasquatch by Roland Smith was very interesting and adventurous so if you like adventurous books I'd suggest this book to you because it got a lot of action and stuff like that. The book is about a boy and his dad went out on a hunting trip and was attacked by a sasquatch but at the time his dad didn't know what it was and then his mom went of for a business trip in India. And eventually the dad realizes what the creature was and got a group of people and went out to kill the sasquatch....more
Jimmy Zaarour
The book "Sasquatch" by Roland Smith is about a boy named Dylan and his dad, who decides to find out more about the Sasquatch. He then joins a Sasquatch-hunting crew that goes onto Mt. Saint Helens right before it blows. Dylan decides to follow his dad and the crew onto the mountain with the animal-rights activist Buckley Johnson. My favorite quote from this book is " In my dreams, Agent Crow, in my dreams," because it tells how anything is possible in your dreams.
I chose this book because I l...more
Lisa Singleterry
Another book that I wish I could give 5 stars to, but once again, this book had unneeded language. 2 little words that, as I parent, I would not want my child to read in print, especially at a 3rd or 4th grade level. THe book itself is fabulous...very mysterious and scientific. I love that its set in my home state of Oregon. Authors just need to now always feel that they need to include language in their books!!
Seth Sharpe
This book follows the adventure of a father and his son hunting sasquatch with a group that the father was a part of. The book presents a good story of a father and son relationship and their desire to stick together and protect each other. Dylan (the son) takes on the role of protecting his father it seems when his mother leaves to go to Egypt. I chose to read this book with the class as a practicum student in order to be able to better comprehend the activities and teaching strategies my coope...more
Leah
Another worthy OBOB book. I read it aloud to my family on summer road trips. They loved it!!! It was a fun read full of facts about Mt. St. Helens, geography of the Pacific Northwest and Sasquatch believes. Cute, fun, easy read for upper elementary school and middle school aged kids.
Stacey
Dylan’s dad has always been perfectly normal crazy. Sure he’s sometimes forgetful, indulges in odd projects and refuses to see the internet and the computer as something that is here to stay. But when Dylan’s mom goes to Egypt for a couple months all of a sudden it’s just Dylan and his dad and his Dad’s sudden new fascination with the Sasquatch.
Roland Smith has never been a horrible author, but this isn’t one of his best books ever. It was an interesting idea, and the best part was the ending of...more
Geri
Set around Mount Saint Helens a group of not very nice guys go gunning for Big Foot with a couple of good guys trying to keep the big guy safe and hidden.
It throws in a couple of surprises that enhance the story.
I enjoyed this book and think kids will too.
Journi
Sasquatch has always been an interesting topic to me since my grandparents told my brother and I scary stories of him/her/it when we were younger, and since I discovered that I was born and raised in a very sasquatch-known area. This book just made my interests peak.
Daniel Dewulf
This book had tons of action and makes for a fast-paced read. A lot of the dialogue and actions didn't feel real and made it hard for me to get into the book. The vocabulary and writing were appropriate for upper elementary.
Andrew
I thought think that Sasquatch was a good book. To me, it was the kind of book that you can't put down. Sasquatch is the Native American term for Bigfoot. The main character is Dylan. Dylan is a young teenager. His father is always tinkering about something. For example, he went from typewriting, to real-estate, to Sasquatch. He joins a secret group that is trying to track down the Sasquatch. It is led by a top Bigfoot-researcher. Dylan's father was going to Mount Saint Helens. Dylan went with h...more
Tyra Voll
Fun book, glad I read it along with my son. I think it is a great book choice for 3-5th grade battle of the books for 2014-2015 yr.
Zarahi
It is such an interesting version of what happened to Sasquatch and a northwest mystery. Great read for boys, I would expect!
Jamie Winfield
Awesome if you are a Squatch lover! Just reread this book, still surprised me with the ending! (It'd been awhile . . .)
Stacey
did not quite have the grab that his other books have had for me so far. but it was about sasquatch, so naturally i had to read.
Nia Ariel
I haven't read this book since elementary school, but I remember being uninterested, so I won't be picking it up anytime soon.
Kristen
I think a lot of my middle school boys would love this book! I loved Peak and thought I'd enjoy another book by Smith, but this one didn't hook me as much. I'm not the target audience, though, so go off ratings by teenage boys instead of mine.
Paul Warner
Great little outdoor adventure story that middle schoolers will love! It's especially awesome if you are from the Pacific Northwest and like to read exciting fiction mixed with bigfoot & D.B. Cooper legends, as well as real-life places like Mt. St. Helens and Powell's Bookstore!
Alexandra Rain
OMG!!! Ronald Smith books keep getting better and better!!!
Jordan713
This book was the perfect book for me and for anyone who believes that Bigfoot is really out there! On page 178 when Dylan is following the squatch (short for sasquatch)it might not have been the most realistic part of the book, but it really made me feel like Dylan could trust these creatures. After all, the squatch did carry his father that broke his arm. I think that this book was a great book, and I think that all you people thhat don't believe that sasquatches aren't real should think again...more
MUNSTER UNSTER!!!!!!(not really its me logan te he
this book is amazing.its got lot of suspense secret passage ways.i havent read something this good in a long time.it had me staying up all night just to finish. his dad gets absesed with many things but this one is the biggest by far. dylans dad has joined a sasquatch expedetion and dylan sneeks away and goes with buckley johnson(hijacked a plane) and tries to help his dad try to save the sasquatch from being killed.if they save it or not, even if the sasquatch is even real you will have to read...more
HOW BAD THIS BOOK IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 20 May 20, 2014 12:25PM
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • Sun & Spoon
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Arcadian Genesis (Alex Hunter, #0.5)
  • Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1)
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
  • Upchuck and the Rotten Willy
  • The Art of Keeping Cool
  • The Great Expectations School: A Rookie Year in the New Blackboard Jungle
Roland Smith is an American author of young adult fiction as well as nonfiction books for children.
Smith was born in Portland, Oregon, and graduated from Portland State University and, following a part-time job at the Oregon Zoo in Portland, began a 20-year career as a zookeeper, both at the Oregon Zoo and the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma, Washington. After working to save wildlife following the E...more
More about Roland Smith...
Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4) Peak Independence Hall (I, Q, #1) Elephant Run Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)