Start by marking “The Dark Stairs (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Stairs (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #1)

The Dark Stairs (Herculeah Jones Mysteries #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  31 reviews
When her best friend, Meat, narrowly escapes a hired gunman's bullet, Herculeah Jones has another mystery on her hands. Just as she begins to piece together the clues, she's kidnapped and taken to Death's Door, a deserted bookstore that may be too aptly named. Because somewhere in the dark, stalking Herculeah, is the assassin -- and this time, he's determined not to miss.
Published September 1st 1994 by Viking Juvenile (first published 1994)

Sam
This was a pretty good book. Its about a girl named Herculeah that doesn't now how to mind her own business but ends up helping solve a 10 year old disappearance of an old man. Its a good book for kids that are in middle school. Its a good mystery for kids that like mysteries like this.
Emma Baumgardt
Down the Dark stairs wasn't my favorite book. Im not the bigest mystery fan though so I have a biased oppinion. This book may have been more aimed at younger kids because it is told about a younge girl.

The book is based of a ten year old girl named Herculeah Jones who is very interested in both her parents work. She just wants to know the mysterys they know and will stop at nothing to find out what it is. Herculeah listens in on one of her moms meetings with man needing a private investigator.
Laura Verret
Herculeah knew something was up. She could feel it in her hair from the very first moment she saw her father, Police Detective Jones, enter the yard of Dead Oaks, the local mystery mansion. Her sense of danger deepened when she encountered the creepy, hollow-toned man who hired her mother to investigate a case for him. But with both her parents refusing to let her get involved with their cases, Herculeah decides that it’s time for her to do a spot of investigating herself! Even if it means going ...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog (of the whole series)...

I enjoyed these books. I wouldn't say that these were the best mystery books I have ever read although I have to admit that I haven't read Nancy Drew books or other mystery books written for that age in a long time.

Personally I felt that the subject matter was a little serious for the age group that the books were aimed for but Byars avoided telling any gruesome details and managed to tell a fairly good mystery although a bit convoluted and obvio
Mary
This is a mystery for upper elementary and middle-school-aged readers that is a real mystery. The story is focused on who the gigantic, scary stranger is, and what his connection to Dead Oaks and its possibly dead owner is. I don't know how old Herculeah Jones is, because I don't need to know. I know how she got her name because it's related to the story. Herculeah and her friend, Meat, are quirky and likeable characters - as are Herculeah's divorced parents, Mim and Chico, who drink beer togeth ...more
Ghausia Parveen
I love the series! I just wanted to ask the author to write more books! PLEASE!!
I want to read more! I have read all the books !!
Tara
Jul 22, 2008 Tara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: younger Nancy Drew fans
Herculeah Jones comes by her curiosity honestly. With a P.I. mom and a Dad on the police force, Herculeah feels like solving mysteries is a legacy she has inherited. With her pal, Meat, by her side, Herculeah must get to the bottom of what her mom's newest client is up to. With narrow escapes, hidden stairs and an old abandoned house, this mystery will appeal to Nancy Drew fans. (Though classified as a YA book, I think this would also appeal to jFic readers more than YAs)
Spencer E.
The book The Dark Stairs is a good mystery. I liked the characters Herculeah and Meat. The halarious part of the book was when Meat's mom had a frying pan when Meat got scared at Dead Oaks and ran home to get his mom for help. Meat and his mom went to the house to help Herculeah. Meat's mom made me laugh so hard because she was ready to fight. I enjoy reading mysteries. My mom does too. I would recommend this book to her.
Barbara
Good characters, dry humor, and just enough tension to make this a good book. Readers Advisory info - mystery books for kids, this series by Betsy Byars has a good female protagonist and an entertaining overweight male sidekick named Meat, divorced parents - dad a cop and mom a private eye. Entertaining and an easy read. good 3rd grade reader and up.
Camille 11-12
It was very suspencefull, and it grabed you and wouldn't let go. No matter what happened you nrver wanted to put the book down personaly i love Besty byars and all her books i have read. If you want a bookthat is awsome and that you would want to recomend to your friend this is a perfect book to do that.
Taylor Blagdon
Herculeah's mther is a private eye, and her father is o the police force so she is very curious and her parents get annoyed by that a lot.I learned from this book how to identify evidence and to make sure you got the right person.
Sharon
I judged the moloch at first but when i read the end i was surpried that the moloch just wanted to know if his dad was dead. I liked when they found his picture in a old news paper next to the murder house. I really loved this book.
Samantha Lim
This book is really meant for kids around third grade it was a very easy read which I didn't expect when I got it from my older sister. It's a good book just not meant for any one older than 9 tops I believe.
Gabriella 11-12
I liked this book it made me want to keep reading.

I like betsy byars mystery books a lot because I think she is a very good author.

I recamend this to the class if you like mystery books.
Ella
It was ok, not the greatest, and it really doesn't seem like the mystery of this book was really compltetly solved, and the bit that was solved was solved in an anti-climactic way.
Susan
Very thrilling..kept me shaken from the suspense.
Read these a long while back ago and loved them instantly.
I just don't understand how so many people never read these...
Brett
Reminiscent of Sammy Keyes in her determination to solve things & her habit of getting involved where she isn't wanted, Herculeah Jones has some interesting things going for her.
Gabriella 11-12
This book was a very good book.

I like it because I like mystery books.

I recamend this to the class if you like scary/mystery books.
Catherine  Mustread
The intrepid Herculeah helps her mother, a private investigator, solve a puzzling and frightening case.
Wileen
this book is kinda in the middle but i wouldn't recommend this book unless your fully psyched about mystery.
Curlybabydash
One of my favorite mystery book collections I had to choose between this and Nancy Drew definitely Herculeah
Adele
I love mystery books and The Dark Stairs was very well written and the details were great.
Tania Vu
(Eve's) very exciting, creepy, and interesting. you never know what's going to happen next.
Cherilynn
awesome mystery series and i don't really like mystery series so that's saying something!
Janie
i thought this was a very good book! I also love to read this authors books!
Mustang
He had red eyes and they were like flames. And Meat said he was scared.
Melissa Elizabeth
read it along time ago but I remember there was really great imagery
Jessica
It wasn't rally fantastic, I don't recomend it.
Emily
this is such a great book so engaging
Raquel
this book was great
changing book 1 1 Nov 26, 2012 06:34PM
  • Mystery of the Dark Tower (American Girl History Mysteries, #6)
  • Taste of Salt: A Story of Modern Haiti
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • Way Down Deep
  • The Mystery of the Missing Everything
  • Reaching for Sun
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • The Case of the Gasping Garbage
  • Encyclopedia Brown's Book Of Strange But True Crimes
  • Wolf Rider
  • Boy2Girl
  • Ace: The Very Important Pig
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...

Herculeah Jones Mysteries (7 books)
  • Tarot Says Beware (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Dead Letter (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #3)
  • Death's Door (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #4)
  • Disappearing Acts (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #5)
  • King of Murder (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #6)
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File