Start by marking “The Fantastic Art Of Frank Frazetta” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Fantastic Art Of F...

Frank Frazetta

The Fantastic Art Of Frank Frazetta

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  10 reviews
More than 42 works of art by Frank Frazetta;most are in color. The plates are printed on one side only. Book is a little over 11 inches tall. This is the first book of the Frank Frazetta series done by Peacock Press&Bantam Books.
Published (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Fantastic Art Of Frank Frazetta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fantastic Art Of Frank Frazetta

Jim
Frazetta did a lot of the cover art for fantasy & SF books. His covers for the Lancer editions of the Conan books were what got me interested in him. Later, I recognized his style & bought a book just for the cover art - my first Kane book, by Karl Wagner. He's done a wide range including a lot of the Barsoom series for the Martian books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Also some Tarzan. He also illustrated for Playboy or Penthouse - I think he did the 'Little Annie Fanny' cartoons for a while. ...more
David
This is probably one of the best collections of Frazetta's artwork, with prints of classic paintings from Conan, John Carter of Mars, Pellucidar, Lord of the Rings, etc. Frazetta's iron-thighed barbarians and lush women are oft-imitated, never duplicated. He truly is unique among fantasy artists. Even Boris Vallejo is not his equal.
MB Taylor
The first and best of the early five book series reprinting Frazetta's work on slick paper. Volume one reprints 6 of his legendary Conan covers for Lancer books, including the iconic Conan the Adventurer (possibly a repainting/reworking, given the 74) and my favorite Conan, the cover to Conan of Cimmeria featuring a lone swordsman facing two larger warriors wielding doubled bitted axes.

Also included are three of my favorite Frazettas, "The Silver Warrior" (cover from a US edition of Michael Moor
M.i.
There's something to be said about art work that seemingly transports you to the locations and worlds being displayed and doing so without the use of words or language. That's just how great this book is and of course Frazetta's artistry. My only qualm was just how quick I got through the book.
Andy
With all the other art books I have, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get my first Frank Frazetta artbook. Picked this up second hand and it's a more than welcome addition to my library. Full of iconic Frank Frazetta art including the 'Egyptian Queen' that appears on the cover, some interior art from the Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter/Barsoom series, The Death Dealer and more. It's old (the copy I have was published in 1976), but totally worth looking out for. If you're a fan of Fra ...more
Serge Pierro
This is the first volume of the initial series of books collecting the art of Frank Frazetta, and it is probably the best. Many of the iconic paintings are featured, including the legendary "Death Dealer" (including a closeup showing the detail). Many are recognizable as the covers to the Conan paperback series and the covers to various Warren publications. Also featured is some of Frazetta's beautiful pen and ink work. Highly recommended.
Thomas
RIP Frank. One of the all time greats. When I see artists like Boris who try to imitate him, it only brings into focus how pure Frazetta's talent was. I can't stand it when people make jokes about painted vans and Molly Hatchet record covers, trying to reduce the huge impact Frazetta has had on illustration. He is a legend!
Elijah Meeks
The first in a series of books exploring Frazetta's work. Ballentine's writing doesn't match up to the art and her exploration of Frazetta's technique and training is really little more than fandom, but the artwork is so spectacular that you don't mind.
Friedrich Haas
Frazetta was a strong new wind, fresh, powerful, vibrant, and heralding change.
Ana
Masterfully beautiful. Frank frazetta's work is unique and fantastic in itself.
Émilie Deschamps
Émilie Deschamps marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Amber Martingale
Amber Martingale marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Lissa Makareka
Lissa Makareka marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Cutething
Cutething marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Joshua Chrastil
Joshua Chrastil marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Harry
Harry added it
Apr 07, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
  • The Art of Michael Whelan
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
  • Tree Finder: A Manual for the Identification of Trees by Their Leaves
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • Art History, Volume I (w/CD-ROM)
  • Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
  • The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • Schiele (Taschen 25th Anniversary Series)
  • Spectrum 11: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • Clive Barker : Illustrator
  • The DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics
  • Castles (An Original Bantam Gift Book)
  • Night Winds
Frank Frazetta was an American fantasy and science fiction artist, noted for work in comic books, paperback book covers, paintings, posters, record-album covers and other media. He was the subject of a 2003 documentary.

* Complete list of his book covers.
More about Frank Frazetta...
Icon Frank Frazetta: Rough Work (Spectrum Presents) Legacy: Selected Paintings and Drawings Testament: The Life and Art of Frank Frazetta Frank Frazetta - Book Three