Start by marking “From Boys to Men: Gay Men Write About Growing Up” as Want to Read:
From Boys to Men: Gay Men Write About Growing Up

From Boys to Men: Gay Men Write About Growing Up

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  11 reviews
More than an anthology of coming out stories, From Boys to Men is a stunning collection of essays about what it is like to be gay and young, to be different and be aware of that difference from the earliest of ages. In these memoirs, coming out is less important than coming of age and coming to the realization that young gay people experience the world in ways quite unlike ...more
Published September 4th 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about From Boys to Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Boys to Men

Nic
I really enjoyed this collection of essays from gay men chronicling their childhoods. The details they recounted inspired me to recall the pecularities of my own growing-up and most essays were completely universal. Gay or straight, it's tough being a kid.

Yet 22 straight men would not have penned these essays. Many contributers confessed feeling "different" at a shockingly young age. While the repetition of themes is one of the flaws in this collection, (few essays truly "stood out" and the writ
Michael
This is one of those "short story" collections (many of the essays feel more like fiction than nonfiction, even if they aren't) that will appeal to those men closer to their coming out party than not. For me, at 38, I came out at 21, and I didn't find much here that I truly felt I hadn't read before. I didn't find much here that caused me to become emotionally invested in the material.

This collection may also appeal to those who've been out a while, but haven't read much similar material.

For me,
Ted
Jun 04, 2009 Ted rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: guys who want to know why
Recommended to Ted by: group read
“From Boys to Men”

My favorite title: “The Lives and Deaths of Buffalo Butt.”

My favorite opening line [from “Whatever Happened to…”:] : “Though I can remember being attracted to men at a young age, for a long time I knew very little about being gay except that it was something I didn’t want to be.”

I agree with Michael, who, in one of his posts to the May '09: From Boys to Men forum, says “This is one of those ‘short story’ collections ( [in which:] many of the essays feel more like fiction than
Skip
Like some really good cookie that you eat in slow savoring bites, I read this collection slowly.
Though I could have devoured it.
Each of these memoirs turned out to be so beautiful and honest, and helped me make sense about my own growing up.
I discovered this book in our local library — perfect place for it. And I hope many younger gay kids find their way to it.
Sometimes the point of good writing is not simply to offer understanding — but more largely, empathy.
James
There are so many passages in these narratives to speak to experiences and feelings I had while growing up, but also plenty that surprised me. I wish Santa would have put this book in my stocking when I was 12 or so.
Patrick
Not the usual coming out stories/essays +
Geoff
Sep 05, 2011 Geoff added it
This book is a bit unusual in that I have no idea when or where I picked up this collection of essays. I’ve had it since I moved into my new place last September, but I have no idea where it came from. But wherever I got it from I’m glad I did (if you loaned it to me and want it back let me know :-D ).

From Boys to Men is a collection of stories/essays from men growing up and coming to terms with their sexuality and masculinity. What I enjoyed most about this book is that it wasn’t all about sex
Elizabeth
I'm a bisexual woman-born-woman who came to sexual awareness relatively late, so the idea of growing up knowing that there was something "different" about oneself on a sexual level is fairly foreign to my personal experience, so I don't particularly _resonate_ with these stories, but they're well-written and interesting.
John
Usually, I find anthologies an uneven bunch, but this collection contains more winners than duds (IMHO). It's been mentioned that these true stories read like fiction; I agree, but often because they're (unexpectedly) funny than dramatic.
John
This is a book of short stories of boys/men of various ages about growing up gay. Some of the stories were better than others, but some did not hold my interest very well.
Stan Houston
loved this book great short stories and vary touching wish I could find my copy and read it all over again
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
John Nooney
John Nooney marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Randy
Randy added it
Jan 31, 2015
J. Patrick Redmond
J. Patrick Redmond marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Rob Walter
Rob Walter marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014