Start by marking “鋼之鍊金術師 1” as Want to Read:
鋼之鍊金術師 1

鋼之鍊金術師 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist #1)

4.49  ·  Rating Details ·  91,243 Ratings  ·  1,030 Reviews
Dabbling in alchemy carries a price. When brothers Edward and Alphonse played with the mystical power to alter the natural world, they both paid dearly. One lost an arm and a leg; the other became a soul locked into a body of living iron. Now these siblings are slaves of the evil military-alchemical complex, using their unique powers for dire purposes. Fullmetal Alchemist ...more
Paperback
Published 2005 by Tong Li Comics (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about 鋼之鍊金術師 1, please sign up.

Cressie Patterson Yes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular…moreYes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular shonen series. FMA finished up with 27 manga volumes. It was such a hugely popular series, it also spawned five novels as well, so you could read those if you didn't want to try your hand at manga. The first Fullmetal Alchemist novel is called "The Land of Sand". You can find them on Ebay.

It's kind of odd that you were prompted to read Fullmetal Alchemist if you like Harry Potter but don't have an interest in manga. Most likely because of the link that both series have to the Philosopher's Stone, but they don't really have that much else in common. Well, I'd say that Edward Elric, the main hero character in FMA is even more altruistic than Harry Potter, and both series have over-the-top villains that want to take over the world, but the FMA story is darker, in it's own way, than Harry Potter. Still, because of the common link between the two series, crossover fanfictions between Harry Potter & FMA are very popular on fanfic websites. Both series boast casts of incredibly colorful and likable characters, both have unforgettable storylines, and both series have spawned incredibly popular theme park attractions at Universal Studios Parks, HP currently, and FMA used to have one in Japan.

If you can't get into reading manga, you should try watching the FMA anime series. The first one, made in 2003, follows the author's story only halfway through the series, then the anime production crew made up their own ending to finish the series, seeing as the manga's creator was still in the middle of her story. The second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, made in 2009, follows the original manga storyline more faithfully until the end, although it does rush through the early details of the series, since they were already known to the fans from watching the first series.(less)
Crimsonsnow I guess if you've finished Brotherhood you've basically finished reading the manga, plot-wise it's quite faithful. If you do have the interest to read…moreI guess if you've finished Brotherhood you've basically finished reading the manga, plot-wise it's quite faithful. If you do have the interest to read the manga, try to read a bit though, there are quite a lot of things not presented in the anime.(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Jun 03, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicomanga
This was great! Pumped to check out the anime(s) and more volumes of the manga soon.
Lola  Reviewer
I have no idea what, in this manga, prompted an average rating of 4.47/5 stars. No idea. It's even higher than Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (which is the most read manga on GR) and Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 which, until it became too repetitive, used to be my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E manga series. Because the characters and drawings and world-building are extraordinary.

Nonetheless, the world-building in this book too wasn't bad either. But there were too many characters that appeared and then disappeared... no
Kogiopsis
Love love love love love.

It's actually been quite some time since I first read this volume, and now that my public library has finally started buying the series (just in time for me to leave town - thanks, guys) I checked out the first seven on a whim.

I'd actually forgotten a lot about this volume. Somehow I got the idea that the Cornello/Liore plot was stretched over the entire volume, and that Youswell was in V. 2, and obviously that was wrong - and the train thing I'd forgotten entirely. It
Antonio
Quiero empezar diciendo que la moraleja de esta historia es nunca, Nunca, por lo que más quieras NUNCA dejes a niños sin supervisión.

Edward y Alphonse Elric son unos niños prodigios en Alquimia, la ciencia que parece magia, por una razón, bastante comprensible y dramática, ellos van a cometer uno de los pocos tabús que existen en la alquimia, la transmutación humana, tratando de recuperar a su madre, trayendo consigo, catastróficas consecuencias

Alphonse pierde su cuerpo humano y Edward pierde
Lily
3.5 stars *flips coin to decide whether to round up or down*

Of all the stages of grief, "bargaining" has always struck me as the most interesting and memorable: the appraisal of all we have and don't have, and the hypothetical transactions that we think would make things better. It's an activity whose allure is counterbalanced by its low probability of success. What would the world be like if bargaining actually had some chance of working? That's the world of Fullmetal Alchemist.

illias
May 06, 2016 illias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All manga readers
Shelves: manga, favorites
I can't imagine someone not liking this. I just can't....
If you like manga, you will like this.
Lizziegolightly
Aug 29, 2007 Lizziegolightly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Fullmetal Alchemist in its anime form is one of my favorite television shows. I watch it religiously, even now that I have seen every episode. I never read manga before and basically, I picked up this edition because of my devotion to the program.

This first installment of the manga is damn near close to (if not completely) identical to the first few episodes of the show. I won't give away the plot twists, just for those of you who haven't seen it yet. The essential storyline, though, is that
King Haddock
I have become a skeptical reader over the years. It's because I've read A LOT. I was the kid who could read over 12,000 pages in a single summer - and I know because I counted. So I learned about plots, characterization, and all the things authors can do to make reading a pleasant experience.

Unfortunately, after a while, you become so knowledgeable of the meta-world that you lose sight of the treasure within the tale. Frequently I pick up a fantasy or science-fiction novel off a shelf and think,
Hassan
I appreciate the originality in Manga.
they're always original and different than any other story.
and this one was as good as any Manga i've read, i'm just hoping that we could discover more of the world and the magic system, cause it's a bit vague so far.
Nərmin
Aug 07, 2016 Nərmin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who loves great stories with great characters
Recommended to Nərmin by: Argona
First rewiev
Very good and entertaining opening... I liked Elric brothers and Edward is so cool with that intelligence and style. His shortness is cute though.)
The artwork is not that pretty but good enough to deliver the story. Going to read next volumes.)

Rewiev of all manga

One of the best manga in the world! Even if I haven't read all the manga, I can surely say it.
God! Who transmuted all these onions into tears? But don't worry, Edward. It is tears of joy!
This one month of my li
Aisyah (≧◡≦) ♡
It's been 10 years-ish since I first read it, still one of the best shounen manga ever. I would 100% recommend it to anyone seeking a manga that is action-packed, unique, and funny Not to mention the excellent graphic. Join Edward Elric and his brother, Alphonse Elric in the quest of finding the ultimate power of alchemy in a world that is filled with science, magic and automails.

This manga is intelligent and downright riveting, I've read it countless of times and it never fails to entertain and
Alican Bozkurt
Jan 23, 2015 Alican Bozkurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death Note'mu daha iyi yoksa bu mu karar veremedim ama sanırım bunu okurken daha çok eğlendim çünkü Edward çok badass xd
Zoe
Jul 07, 2011 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fullmetal Alchemist happens to be a one-of-a-kind in the manga genre. I mean, c'mon people: has ANYONE encountered such a brilliantly diverse series? Amongst a world of manga that is somewhat the same and unoriginal(enough with the vampire manga already, people!), Fullmetal Alchemist, or FMA as it is nicknamed by fans, stands out.
This series is so well-known that I really shouldn't have to summarize it, but I will just in case you are one of the five or six people on this planet who have no ide
Rebecca T
*metaphorically cracks knuckles*

- a good start, introduced to the main characters and got a basic background on them and the plot
- i think the overarching plot of the series has to do with the philosopher's stone, but it was only mentioned in chapter 1?
- i really like edward. he's a little shit so ofc i would like him most.
- chapter 1 is probably my fave of the four.
- the art style seemed a little messy, but in a good way.
Mal
Mar 12, 2016 Mal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly so glad to be reading this. Finally, right? Haha! I watched Brotherhood a while back and was totally in love (though, admittedly, I didn't like the first season much and had a hard time keeping at it, but once I took a break and then came back I was hella ready to plow through it). Crying though because I know things and I don't wanna go through that again D: *cry*
Emory Russo
Feb 23, 2014 Emory Russo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves manga/anime or a good story.
Recommended to Emory by: HI SARAH!!! *waves through computer*
Shelves: reviewed
Gavin Abdollahi
description

Even if you've watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you should still read the manga, since it has more adventures that were deleted in Brotherhood.

This was quite fun.
The story revolves aroun the Elric brothers, whom have performed the forbidden alchemical trnasmutation:
Human transmutation.
In an attempt to bring back their dead mother, Edward Elric loses his left leg, and his younger brother, Alphonse, loses his whole body. In a desperate attempt to bring back his brother, he sacrifices h
Kassandra
Sep 11, 2015 Kassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This series is so much fun!! I'm so excited to explore the crazy world of Amestris all over again with Edward and Alphonse, this time in the manga! GIVE ME MORE.

// My first experience with manga! Here we go! ^_^
Melisa Ramonda
Jul 03, 2014 Melisa Ramonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uno de mis mangas favoritos de todos los tiempos. Simplemente, impecable.
Cassie Felix
Jul 28, 2015 Cassie Felix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Summary: Meet the main characters: Edward and Alphonse Elric, two alchemist brothers on a mission to repair the damage they suffered to their bodies by committing the ultimate sin in alchemy: attempting human transmutation. Edward lost his left leg while trying with Alphonse to bring their mother back from the dead, and Al lost his entire body. At the price of his right arm, Ed was able to bond Al's soul to a giant suit of armor, which means he cannot eat or sleep. E
Radwa
Jun 06, 2016 Radwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
What's the best way to get through a reading slump? read a new manga!

I've heard so much about this manga and anime, and I'm glad I'm finally starting to read it. We star following the story of two brother alchemists, Edward and Alphonso, as they try to regain their bodies after a disaster fell upon them after failing to resurrect their mother.

This volume has a lot of philosophical and theological messages, that I'm really excited to continue.
Shaun Ponting
Aug 11, 2015 Shaun Ponting rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novel
I don't usually read graphic novels, but can definitely get into this series. Didn't realize that you read these books right-to-left so was pretty confused by the storyline at first! Once I figured all that out and got going found it entertaining, even if the 'plots' are basic. Starting the second book right away so that's got to stand for something.
Stephanie
Nov 10, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
11/10/16: This is the first time I've reread this since the last volume came out. I'm noticing how much groundwork is laid IMMEDIATELY for later plot developments. Seriously......the story is structured SO well!

Ed and Al are tiny babies!
Becky
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8th grade and up
Shelves: graphic-novels
After persistent pestering from some teens (boys and girls alike!) who have told me this is the best series they've ever read, and the one that hooked them on both anime and manga, I've finally read Vol. 1. And I'll admit, it's the first manga volume that I've truly finished, and I highly enjoyed it.

The story itself is so bizarre that it makes you keep reading out of sheer curiosity. Alphonse and Edward, the Elric brothers, are trained in alchemy, and they know its laws very well. Unfortunately,
Sarah Sammis
May 13, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa is one of the most popular shonen manga series. It's also a damn fine anime series, so good that it was redone to better follow the manga. The first time around the anime ran quicker than the manga (a fairly common occurrence) and so the two plots diverge. Last December Ian and I watched the first anime series. Now as we're reading the manga we are also watching the newer Brotherhood series which is like a director's cut version.

Volume 1 begins with Edward a
Victoria
A fantastic series opener to one of the most layered, astounding mangas I've ever read. The whole story continues to blow me away.

Edward and Alphonse Elric are a very unlikely pair of brothers; one a diminutive (sorry Ed!), fierce-eyed young man, the other a full-body suit of armor that contains only a soul. Both are alchemists, able to break down and reshape the material of the world around them for purposes of both healing and destruction...but only if the trade is equivalent.

When they were y
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
Jun 28, 2012 Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stella by: Jen
I know my friend Jen will be so proud of me (and herself considering she finally got me to read this). My friend, Jen, is a HUGE manga and anime fan and she's been bugging me to read this series for a long long time.

Since summer began for me last week (June 22nd), I finally gave in to her constant fangirling and decided to try it. (Yeah, look at me advocating for peer pressure right here...NOT WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO.) I'm simply saying that friends are great to have and they know you. Trust them
Nisha
Before I begin, I must explain that I have already watched the anime and that I've only read book 1 so far, so basically, I may be biased or something.

I love this series. It's a great mix of steampunk, adventure, humor and drama, with supernatural additions. I think its a great start for anyone interested in anime or wants to introduce someone to anime. Unfortunately, this awesome series outshines more than 99% of the stuff out there, so sometimes it creates a level of disappointment when trying
[2016] Don't Breathe HD (1080px) Online Full Movie 1 2 Sep 02, 2016 04:46PM
Who are your favorite fma ships? 1 2 Jun 25, 2016 06:01PM
Why do you read Manga and watch Anime? 11 97 Apr 25, 2016 08:42PM
Spoiled Rotten Manga: It's all about Equivalent Exchange... 3 5 Feb 04, 2016 03:06PM
She-Geeks: October 2015 Read: Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 3 15 Oct 22, 2015 07:13AM
  • Bleach, Volume 11
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 04
  • Bakuman, Band 1: Traum und Realität
  • Chrno Crusade, Vol. 1 (Chrno Crusade, #1)
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 06
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Trigun Maximum Volume 1: Hero Returns (Trigun Maximum, #1)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 17
  • Naruto, Vol. 02: The Worst Client (Naruto, #2)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)

“Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect. But it's there for us, trying the best it can; that's what makes it so damn beautiful.” 466 likes
“Humankind cannot gain something without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is Alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.” 390 likes