Start by marking “SKULLS” as Want to Read:
SKULLS

SKULLS

On June 4th, 2007, artist Noah Scalin came up with an ingenious idea: he cut a skull out of orange paper and posted it online with the note, “I’m making a skull image every day for a year.” His uniquely witty works became a wild success: five months later, nearly 250,000 people have visited the site, many sending in skull photos of their own and turning Scalin’s blog into ...more
Published October 7th 2008 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about SKULLS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SKULLS

Shannon
Oct 21, 2009 Shannon rated it liked it
This guy made a skull out of different material every day for a year. Cool idea. (One of my favorites = skull of 500 arranged condoms named "Safe Skull". heh). But MAN I cannot help but feel like the author/artistman is a giant douche, which shoudlnt affect the coolness of the book but it somehow does. Every time he made a skull using some type of food (like a bell pepper) he didnt just say "Skull carved out of bell pepper" he said "skull carved out of organic bell pepper". I'm like WHY. I don't ...more
Sylvia
Feb 22, 2010 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is SO COOL!!

Dalam blognya yang mendapatkan penghargaan Webby People's Voice Award (dalam kategori personal website) http://skulladay.blogspot.com/ Noah Scalin membuat tengkorak dari berbagai media sehari satu tengkorak selama setahun.

Biasanya ngeliat tengkorak kita kan ngeri ya? Tapi ngeliat karya seni berbentuk tengkorak di buku ini kok ya malah fascinating?

Sekarang di websitenya, koleksi tengkoraknya makin beragam bahkan banyak yang ikut mengirimkan karya mereka yang terinspirasi
Monkey
Nov 11, 2008 Monkey rated it it was amazing
who doesn't enjoy a lovely skull? i know i do! so, i love this snazzy skull-a-day book chock-full-o-skully goodness. this is not a coffee table, but a comfortable-to-the-hand sized book that is perfect for personal perusing or passing among pals. while the whole book is creative and inspiring, the do it yourself project in the back got my scissors and paper flying while the fan skull submissions is a lovely nod to others who were inspired by mr. scalin's delightful website. perfect gift for your ...more
Irene Ziegler
Feb 11, 2011 Irene Ziegler rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent example of symbiosis: for one year, Scalin created a skull a day out of diverse materials, then assembled photos of each into a book. Taken one at a time, the skulls are clever, whimsical, unexpected, creepy, funny; taken all together, they become bigger than the sum of their parts. SKULLS is a comment on Death and Beauty (capitals are intentional). It bravely pokes fun at the Grim Reaper and the inevitable outcome of this mortal coil.
Kasia
Oct 06, 2011 Kasia rated it it was amazing
The first time I have stumbled upon this magnificent little book was during lazy browsing on Amazon, it looked cute so I added it to my wishlist. Few weeks later I was browsing my favorite bookstore and lo and behold, this was near the Halloween section ( my favorite section haha) and of course I had to at least take a look at this but after seeing 4, 5 pages I simply had to have it so home with me it went.

I remember the first time I became fascinated with the actual image of the skull, it was a
Joel
Jun 19, 2009 Joel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I had no knowledge of Scalin's "Skull A Day" website before I stumbled across this book, so it was a nice little surprise for me. Basically the guy created an art project for himself where he would create some sort of skull every day for a year. He made them out of metal, broken glass, food, fake bones, vinyl records, chalk, push pins, etc. etc. His level of creativity and execution were superb and this book of highlights from the series (I think it includes 150) showcase how many ways a simple ...more
Mari
Mar 11, 2009 Mari rated it it was amazing
So nifty. Too bad it wasn't a chronological display. Have not yet figured out the pages, or the way to view all the skulls on the blog site. But, I understand scarcity--perhaps that was a factor, or maybe Noah just wanted to edit this way. Having once undertaken a One-A-Day project (though only for 2 1/2 mos), I remember how much better I got by the end, and how it was clear to any viewer.

In this same line of thinking, would have liked to know the date of each piece.
Brandy
Oct 07, 2013 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get to attend a class by Noah Scalin two weeks ago, and meet him. He is amazing, as is this book. I don't have an artistic bone in my body, but he helped me see old problems with fresh eyes, and sparked my creativity. I'm now doing my own make a thing a day project, and while it is not great art, it is refreshing my mind and I am enjoying it. A lovely book. Out of print, so grab your used copy ASAP.
Terry
May 05, 2009 Terry rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the coolest books I've ever read. The author/artist spent a year creating a skull a day, while holding down a job, which is impressive in itself. The book contains a short intro along with over 100 of the author's skulls. Given the diversity of media he worked with, some of the skulls are a little harder to visualize than others (some are really amazing), but the sum total of the work is impressive. For middle school and up, this book's appeal is huge.
David Bales
Jun 14, 2009 David Bales rated it it was amazing
An interesting art book by Noah Scalin who got the idea to make some sort of art featuring a skull every day for a year. He made skulls out of tin cans, carved a butternut squash, arranged broken glass and nails to make a skull, and even carved his wisdom tooth. Good ideas for Halloween, since we only have 4 months and 17 days left.
Alicia
Jan 25, 2012 Alicia rated it it was ok
Noah Scalin decided to make a skull each day in some kind of medium. I admit it would have been cooler with some skull factoids interspersed with the neat designs (a human tooth? bandaids?!) but taken at face value, it could definitely be used as inspiration for artists but also for the morbid fascination some might have with them.
Brandi Bette
This book is from the award-winning blog www.Skulladay.com. The writer came up with the idea of creating a skull a day and posting them on his blog. In five months, Noah had over 250,000 visitors.

From Benicia High School Booktalks 2009, Benicia Middle School Booktalks 2009-10,
& Liberty Booktalks 2010
Benicia Public Library Call Number: YA745.5 SCALIN
Gretchen
May 16, 2009 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-for-school
Noah Scalin is incredibly creative. Looking through the photos in the book, I was amazed and impressed. I really need to look at mundane things in a different way. A plastic grocery bag skull? Awesome!
Andrew
Jun 08, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Skulls by Noah Scalin is exactly what you would expect. It's a book about interestingly designed skulls. Wanna see skulls being made out of all sorts of stuff? Like bubbles and metal? Then you know which book to read next. This one.
orangerful
May 19, 2009 orangerful rated it really liked it
Really cool book version of the Skull-a-Day website (http://skulladay.blogspot.com/) which makes for a very good conversation piece and might inspire the reader to start a similar project of their own.
Heather
Jul 06, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
OK, so there is not much to read with only captions, but it is a testament to how creative one can be with everyday objects, and how far you can push a concept. I have perused his blog before (www.skulladay.com) which has all of these images on it.

I should be sketching every day . . .
Kathleen
Nov 05, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This is a fun and handsome book to have around, it may actually inspire you or your guests to create some spontaneous and satisfying art from just about anything that comes to hand.
Jennifer Blakeslee
Jul 02, 2013 Jennifer Blakeslee rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this collection of Noah's skull creations. Also love the inspiring idea to focus on a single creative concept and revisit it every day with a new approach. Plus, yay skulls!
mim
Oct 04, 2008 mim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone~
I loved this book! It's a convenient size so you can carry it with you, it's filled with fabulous skulls and even has some you can create yourself. Very cool!!
Marissa
Feb 07, 2014 Marissa rated it it was ok
I agree with the review by Shannon ;)
Carol
Apr 14, 2008 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely gorgeous!!
I am one satisfied skulladay.com junkie.
Tiffany
Apr 14, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All artists
The projects that Noah did are amazing. And I liked that he put a caption to each skull. Very inspiring project.
Jenn
May 20, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
My pre-school age son (who refuses to read fiction) loves looking at the art in this book and then attempting to mimic the projects.
Faythe
Sep 18, 2009 Faythe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen
Loved it! So creative.
Charla aka Chuckie
Mar 24, 2009 Charla aka Chuckie rated it really liked it
crazy that someone got to publish this. Why didn't I think of that.
jenny
Oct 28, 2008 jenny rated it it was amazing
Richmonders should check out Noah's exhibit at Quirk Gallery.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2010
Manintheboat
Manintheboat rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2009
Kittypocket
Kittypocket rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Noah Scalin is an artist and author based in Richmond, Virginia. Noah is the creator of the Webby Award winning art project Skull-A-Day . His fine art has been exhibited in museums and galleries internationally, including the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia, the International Museum of Surgical Science in Chicago, and Krause Gallery in NYC. He also co-runs the art & innovation consulting firm he ...more
More about Noah Scalin...