Start by marking “The Centurion and the Queen” as Want to Read:
The Centurion and the Queen
Preview

The Centurion and the Queen (The Ghost Series #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Marius has been stationed on the island of 60AD Britannia for sixteen years, since his demotion from the famous Praetorian Guard after his suspected involvement in the assassination of Caligula. When Delia enters his life, she challenges everything he believes, effortlessly strips away years of Roman conditioning, and angers him to the point of betraying his training, and ...more
Published April 10th 2008 by Resplendence Publishing, LLC (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Centurion and the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Centurion and the Queen

Catherine
THE CENTURION AND THE QUEEN is fabulous. You'll be swept away, back in time...to the golden days of Rome and its conquests.

And you'll want to be in Marius' tent! Such a fantastic romance between the hero and heroine in this book. If you want to read a great historical romance with the backdrop of ancient Rome, then read THE CENTURION AND THE QUEEN.

: )

Catherine Chernow
Mei
Sheila
I’d read Minnette’s fantasy novel, "Starsight," a while ago and really enjoyed it. But I wasn’t quite so sure what I’d think about historical romance, particularly not when it’s set in the land of my birth. I’m kind of possessive about England and its history; I people its past with characters from the Rosemary Sutcliffe novels I read as a child. And the memories run deep because she always made me cry, much to my brothers’ amusement.

Minnette didn’t make me cry. But she did create a very plausib
Sophia
I was so thrilled when I saw what historical period would be the backdrop for this book. The Roman conquerors against the native Bretons. Queen Boudicca (or however you want to spell it since there are a zillion ways it seems) and her push to rid the English soil of the Romans as one of the last huge battles- yeah, exciting stuff. Much of the story centers around a particular group of Romans and Bretons and I found it a fantastic blend of historical authenticity and a beautiful romance.

Marius is
Tia Fanning
Five stars does not even come close to how much I love this book. It deserves ten, perhaps twenty stars!

Author Minnette Meador takes you on a thrilling journey to a turbulent time in history and spins you a romantic tale that will have you emotionally engaged until the very last page.

As you read, you'll be laughing with the characters, crying with the characters, screaming at the characters one moment (yes, as if they could actually hear you), then cheering them on the next (and making all the
Vanetta Quintana
Note: I don't give *Spoilers*

This was my first book by this author and don't be fooled by the cover! This is a 10+ Star Book!

When you open this book up and start to read it you don't want to put it down. I love how she wrote the plot of this book, she had you grabbing this book and I felt like I was there in the "era".

This is not your "typical" love affair in historial era. I loved how she writes about a strong women and strong men (when the time is right).

I fell in love with characters &
Cheap and Lazy
3.5 stars. I really struggled with how to rate this one. The setting was incredibly rich, could-be-a-movie dazzling. The story was action-packed, but very bloody and heavy. The combination overshadowed the romance for me, and I never really felt it. I do like a lot of plot with my romance, and I don't usually have a problem with violence. Some details also detracted from my enjoyment. Such as: how quickly characters recovered from wounds, the thing with her brother in general, the disjointed tel ...more
Kj
It started out good. About 25% of the way in the conversations started to make me question how realistic it was. Nothing kills a book for me quicker than unbelievable dialogue, Like shouldn't the Centurion already know about the local kings and chieftain's and their families? Is that good policing tactics? The behavior on both sides had me eye rolling. By the 50% mark I was skimming just trying to make it through the horrible ridiculousness.
Thelma Banzhoff
If you have never read a historical book or series. This is a must read. Minnette grabs you from the first page and dosen't let you go until the end. Well not actually lets you go, you are just waiting for her to write more. The book is mainly about Marius and Delia. The trials and tribulations of the ancient people, the way women were treated until they found the one to love, and who loves them. This is a wonderful book. A must read.
Kathryn
This was a really good historical romance. I've seen people list it in erotica, but not so much for me. Marius and Delia meet under a stressful situation but their connection is immediate. I don't want to give away much because I think you will enjoy this just from the description of the book and other reviewers.
Pamela Craft Jenewein
All Romance freebie

An awesome historical read as the overall plot was fast paced, emotional and real. The characters, Marius, Delia, Aelius and Glenys were strong, endearing, and charismatic. A thoroughly enjoyable read that will be enjoyed many times again.
Betsy
This was a good historical romance. I enjoyed the characters, they were compelling and not foolish, hysterical or overplayed. The romance was well done and the grisly nature of the times and the horrors of war was reflected and respected rather than ignored.
Miriam Newman
A super book, a definite five. Riveting and dramatic, full of rich historical detail. Not for the faint of heart, as there are graphic scenes of battle and violence, but a very satisfying read.
Helen Peter
Very interesting book. Love the strong heroine and hero. Look forward to the next book in the series.
Missy Jane
Very well written and intriguing. I really liked this book.
Riya
Riya marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Paz
Paz marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Hannahkate
Hannahkate marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Marnie
Marnie marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Somewhere between thirty and dust...red hair, blue eyes...six kids, one slightly used husband, and any number of pets from time to time... wanttabe hippy... wanttheirmoney yuppie... pro musician and actress for 20 years...native Oregonian... lover of music, beauty and all things green. Willing slave to the venerable muse.

Minnette currently resides in Portand, Oregon with her husband and one dog.
More about Minnette Meador...
Starsight A Ghost of a Chance The Belle Stalker The Edge of Honor Starsight - Volume II