Start by marking “The Centurion and the Queen” as Want to Read:
The Centurion and the Queen

The Centurion and the Queen (The Ghost Series #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Marius has been stationed on the island of 60AD Britannia for sixteen years, since his demotion from the famous Praetorian Guard after his suspected involvement in the assassination of Caligula. When Delia enters his life, she challenges everything he believes, effortlessly strips away years of Roman conditioning, and angers him to the point of betraying his training, and ...more
Published April 10th 2008 by Resplendence Publishing, LLC (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Centurion and the Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Centurion and the Queen

Catherine
THE CENTURION AND THE QUEEN is fabulous. You'll be swept away, back in time...to the golden days of Rome and its conquests.

And you'll want to be in Marius' tent! Such a fantastic romance between the hero and heroine in this book. If you want to read a great historical romance with the backdrop of ancient Rome, then read THE CENTURION AND THE QUEEN.

: )

Catherine Chernow
Mei
Jan 31, 2013 Mei rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Sophia
I was so thrilled when I saw what historical period would be the backdrop for this book. The Roman conquerors against the native Bretons. Queen Boudicca (or however you want to spell it since there are a zillion ways it seems) and her push to rid the English soil of the Romans as one of the last huge battles- yeah, exciting stuff. Much of the story centers around a particular group of Romans and Bretons and I found it a fantastic blend of historical authenticity and a beautiful romance.

Marius is
Sheila
Feb 16, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
I’d read Minnette’s fantasy novel, "Starsight," a while ago and really enjoyed it. But I wasn’t quite so sure what I’d think about historical romance, particularly not when it’s set in the land of my birth. I’m kind of possessive about England and its history; I people its past with characters from the Rosemary Sutcliffe novels I read as a child. And the memories run deep because she always made me cry, much to my brothers’ amusement.

Minnette didn’t make me cry. But she did create a very plausib
Tia Fanning
Jan 01, 2009 Tia Fanning rated it it was amazing
Five stars does not even come close to how much I love this book. It deserves ten, perhaps twenty stars!

Author Minnette Meador takes you on a thrilling journey to a turbulent time in history and spins you a romantic tale that will have you emotionally engaged until the very last page.

As you read, you'll be laughing with the characters, crying with the characters, screaming at the characters one moment (yes, as if they could actually hear you), then cheering them on the next (and making all the
Vanetta Quintana
Aug 29, 2011 Vanetta Quintana rated it it was amazing
Note: I don't give *Spoilers*

This was my first book by this author and don't be fooled by the cover! This is a 10+ Star Book!

When you open this book up and start to read it you don't want to put it down. I love how she wrote the plot of this book, she had you grabbing this book and I felt like I was there in the "era".

This is not your "typical" love affair in historial era. I loved how she writes about a strong women and strong men (when the time is right).

I fell in love with characters &
Thelma Banzhoff
Sep 21, 2011 Thelma Banzhoff rated it it was amazing
If you have never read a historical book or series. This is a must read. Minnette grabs you from the first page and dosen't let you go until the end. Well not actually lets you go, you are just waiting for her to write more. The book is mainly about Marius and Delia. The trials and tribulations of the ancient people, the way women were treated until they found the one to love, and who loves them. This is a wonderful book. A must read.
Miriam Newman
Sep 30, 2011 Miriam Newman rated it it was amazing
A super book, a definite five. Riveting and dramatic, full of rich historical detail. Not for the faint of heart, as there are graphic scenes of battle and violence, but a very satisfying read.
Missy Jane
May 29, 2012 Missy Jane rated it it was amazing
Very well written and intriguing. I really liked this book.
Cheap and Lazy
3.5 stars. I really struggled with how to rate this one. The setting was incredibly rich, could-be-a-movie dazzling. The story was action-packed, but very bloody and heavy. The combination overshadowed the romance for me, and I never really felt it. I do like a lot of plot with my romance, and I don't usually have a problem with violence. Some details also detracted from my enjoyment. Such as: how quickly characters recovered from wounds, the thing with her brother in general, the disjointed tel ...more
Kj
Jul 21, 2013 Kj rated it did not like it
It started out good. About 25% of the way in the conversations started to make me question how realistic it was. Nothing kills a book for me quicker than unbelievable dialogue, Like shouldn't the Centurion already know about the local kings and chieftain's and their families? Is that good policing tactics? The behavior on both sides had me eye rolling. By the 50% mark I was skimming just trying to make it through the horrible ridiculousness.
Kathryn
This was a really good historical romance. I've seen people list it in erotica, but not so much for me. Marius and Delia meet under a stressful situation but their connection is immediate. I don't want to give away much because I think you will enjoy this just from the description of the book and other reviewers.
Betsy
Feb 16, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic
This was a good historical romance. I enjoyed the characters, they were compelling and not foolish, hysterical or overplayed. The romance was well done and the grisly nature of the times and the horrors of war was reflected and respected rather than ignored.
Helen Peter
May 19, 2012 Helen Peter rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Love the strong heroine and hero. Look forward to the next book in the series.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Else-Marie
Else-Marie rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson
Mathilda Koppel Eriksson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Lin
Lin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Bhabyann5678
Bhabyann5678 marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Itsannelisem
Itsannelisem marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Adri
Adri marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Saoirse Sterling
Saoirse Sterling marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Identity Crisis
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
  • White Wedding
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • The Crystal Warrior (Crystal Warriors, #1)
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • The Virgin Proxy
  • The Perfect Score
  • Taken by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)
  • She Wolf (True Mates, #1)
  • Declan and Tori (The Hunters, #1)
  • The Bride Found (Civil War Brides, #2)
  • Working Out (The Works, #2)
  • Dark Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #3)
  • Escaped (Running In Fear, #1)
  • Opposites Attract (The Trilogy Collection, #1)
  • Restless Spirit: An Erotic Novel
  • Breathe Me In (Tales of the Darkworld, #6.5)
Somewhere between thirty and dust...red hair, blue eyes...six kids, one slightly used husband, and any number of pets from time to time... wanttabe hippy... wanttheirmoney yuppie... pro musician and actress for 20 years...native Oregonian... lover of music, beauty and all things green. Willing slave to the venerable muse.

Minnette currently resides in Portand, Oregon with her husband and one dog.
More about Minnette Meador...