Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn

Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3: Torn (Astonishing X-Men #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  7,431 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
They're back! The chart-topping super-team of Joss Whedon and John Cassaday return for more Astonshing X-Men! If you thought their past efforts were full of shocks and surprises, hold onto your eyeballs - because you haven't seen anything yet, as things go from peculiar to just plain bizarre! Emma Frost's erratic behavior has the X-Men spinning in a non-stop downward spira ...more
Published February 14th 2007 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2007)

Raeleen Lemay
May 25, 2016 Raeleen Lemay rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
The first in this series is still my favorite, but I plan to at least read the last of Joss Whedon's volumes... I don't know if I'll read the whole series.
Kemper
Feb 09, 2009 Kemper rated it really liked it
The X-Men are betrayed by someone close to them as a series of psychic attacks leave Cyclops in a coma, Beast going feral, Kitty phasing to the center of the earth, and Wolverine acting like a cowardly 19th century gentleman. Meanwhile, the alien from Breakworld who has future knowledge that an X-Man will destroy his planet has broken free of government custody and is on his way to the mansion to make a bad situation worse. All of which is a pretty average Wednesday at Xavier’s School for Gifted ...more
Josu
Jul 14, 2016 Josu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-2-julio, marvel
Volvemos al nivel de la primera entrega, aunque entiendo que de nuevo estamos ante una nueva historia. No me ha terminado de convencer: demasiados frentes abiertos y traiciones a las que les faltaba lógica, y que no se terminaba de explicar. Me han gustado los giros de personajes como Scott, también el hecho de descubrir más mutantes y que algunos de los jóvenes estudiantes tuvieran sus escenas para brillar. Sin embargo, me he sentido confundido gran parte del cómic con parte de las tramas.
Bookwraiths
May 06, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Reread. This was more three and a half stars to me, but I decide to round up, because I just love the way Joss Whedon uses the characters. The big enemy reveal was a bit meh however.
Wren | WrensReads
MY GOODNESS, my head hurts.

So the X-Men are comfy. They have fought of the two evils from the last book and they are finally bunking down and getting back to what they have been trying to do since they got together: teach the next generation.

Well, little do they know that the real danger is among them and someone is about to betray and hurt every last one of them. Again, little do they know that pushing off the last two evils may bite them in the tush with a big, giant BANG.

Basically, they are f
Sesana
Jan 25, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Maybe not quite as amazing as the first two volumes, but still really, remarkably good. The Emma subplot is finally played out, and... Well, I'm not entirely sure that the Big Reveal can hold up. That said, the whammy on Kitty was just wrenching, and I enjoyed every moment of Logan as Christopher Robin. Another fun collection, even if I'm not exactly looking forward to X-Men in Space, Take 176.
Ronyell
Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Flashback:

After finishing the second volume of the awesome “Astonishing X-Men” series “Dangerous,” I was definitely looking forward to reading the third volume of this series “Torn.” Imagine my pure delight after I had finished reading this volume since I was totally blown away by the twists and turns in this volume and I am sure that X-Men fans will enjoy this volume as much as I did!

What is the story?

Emma Frost has been acting strange ever since the
Abe
Mar 02, 2009 Abe rated it really liked it
the most emotionally confusing volume of the whedon/cassaday run, in this reader's heart.

the basic concept, as in the second volume, is fascinating (if a bit similar to the concept in the second volume itself): what if someone played fantastic mindgames with the x-men, forcing them to become upsettingly-plausible alternate versions of themselves?

but the engine behind that idea makes no sense. cassandra nova is alive? except she isn't? and she's been living in emma frost? except emma frost isn't
Sam Quixote
Jun 13, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
The campy-named Hellfire Club and its roster of oddball villains sashay up to the Westchester School for a showdown with our heroes. But there is a turncoat among the X-Men, the once-villainous-turned-good-now-turned-bad-again Emma Frost who it seems has been helping Cassandra Nova regain power slowly to come back and defeat the X-Men once and for all. Throw in SWORD, the quasi-government agency from the future/another dimension (I forget) who are looking to save their world from destruction by ...more
47Time
May 25, 2017 47Time rated it it was ok
Emma's true allegiance is shown: she is secretly on the side of the Hellfire Club who attack the mansion and take out the X-Men. Their goal is a highly secured box that contains an item that is vital for one member of the Hellfire Club, Cassandra Nova.

The story jumps rapidly from one thing to another, so I won't even try to summarize it. (view spoiler) It's too fast paced for what it wants to do and the multiple twists, instead of being fun, m
Justin
Jan 26, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
I feel like I might be overzealous in my praise of this series, but I'm really, really loving it. None of the small annoyances from the second volume are here; this one is back to high bar established by the introductory volume. Whedon’s run on X-Men makes me feel like the reckless fanboy I used to be when I first discovered the X-books during the Claremont years.

This story arc begins with the faculty and students of Xavier’s school recovering from the hard-fought battles and somewhat pyrrhic vi
Aaron
Sep 25, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it
Collecting Astonishing X-Men #13 through #18. Emma Frost and a new Hellfire Club (Sebastian Shaw, Cassandra Nova, Negasonic Teenage Warhead, and Perfection) take advantage of a lull in the action to divide and conquer the X-Men. Emma manipulates Cyclops, Cassandra handles Beast and Wolverine, Colossus and Shaw tussle, and NTW gets in Shadowcat's head. Meanwhile, S.W.O.R.D. has calculated exactly which mutant will soon destroy Breakworld, which also becomes known to those on the planet.

The takedo
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los mutantes de Marvel y de Whedon en general.
Recommended to Feather by: Sus autores y que era una continuación de New X-Men.
Tercera parte de la más que digna continuación de los increíbles New X-Men de Morrison. La mayor desventaja con la que corrió Morrison en su etapa -el eterno baile de dibujantes- acá se ve subsanada gracias a la lenta pero constante pluma de John Cassaday, que deslumbra en cada tomo. Una muy buena continuación de una muy buena etapa de un grupo de "superhéroes" que de vez en cuando tiene historias muy buenas. Además, los guiños para los fans de la etapa de Morrison, son varios, están muy bien he ...more
Brad
Sep 28, 2012 Brad rated it really liked it
The plot thickens.
Get X Serious
Jun 20, 2016 Get X Serious rated it really liked it
More of what I've come to expect from Mr. Whedon's little X-Men run. Top notch. Honestly feeling pretty upset about there only being one more volume in his run.
Liana
Jun 11, 2017 Liana rated it it was amazing
This series is so fucking good I need to buy every single one of the comic books!!! I never want this to end, I'm honestly thriving, they are feeding me so well
Vincen A
Apr 26, 2017 Vincen A rated it it was amazing
Whedon steps up his writing in these issues compared to vol. 1 and 2. These bound issues are a fine example of how good of a read comics can be.
Brittany
Jan 18, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
This volume was on a different playing field than the first two. Kitty has to jump in and be the main player. Emma is obviously evil but her soul and heart are starting to get weird and feely. The Hellfire Club offers up new and different obstacles. And the mind fuckery is so insane that it's both absolutely hilarious and a major major set back.

So the best and worst part of this is Emma and Nova working their shit to convince the X-Men that they are the opposite of themselves (or in McCoy's case
Mike
Mar 17, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade collects issues 13-18 of Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men.

**Note: Torn directly continues events started in Volume 1 (Gifted) and continued in Volume 2 (Dangerous). It will be impossible to follow if you don't read those first and this review by necessity will contain some spoilers for previous volumes. **

Vol 3 of Joss Whedon's X-men story builds off the revelation shared with readers at the end of Vol 2. Emma's secrets and odd behavior pays off as The Hellfire Club returns to p
Gavin
Mar 04, 2014 Gavin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Took me far too long to get to Vol. 3, so I just read 1-3 in a row again.
This is where things get ratcheted up a notch. There's enough mindfucks here to confuse you, but enough good stuff to keep you guessing and going along with everything. Emma Frost has turned to her evil ways, helping Cassandra Nova, and with the 2 powerful telepaths, the X-Men are in serious trouble, especially when the Hellfire Club accompanies Frost and Nova. Joss Whedon loves Kitty Pride, and here she really shines, whic
Scott Lee
Mar 29, 2012 Scott Lee rated it it was amazing
Good stuff. Several neat moments. I love it when Cyclops appears to waste the whole Hell Fire Club with a pistol. They all turn out to be psychic projections, which works for me. Of course in the years since Scott has made exactly the same choice (to kill the enemies occasionally even pre-emptively) using the new "X-Force" as his weapon, so I guess "character development" for Cyclops in the last few years has been totally inconsistent with who he is/has been since 1963, but oh well. The ending i ...more
Nikki
May 09, 2014 Nikki rated it it was ok
The copy of this I picked up has no indication of where it might come in a series. I was sure it was probably in the middle of something anyway, but I thought I'd give it a go, see if X-men is something I'm interested in following ('cause you know, it's not like I'm following enough already).

If you're already invested in the characters and know what's going on the story, then I think this would be a gut punch of a volume. There's some amazing stuff going on with Kitty Pryde, and all of the X-men
Paul
This third volume of Astonishing X-Men was a mixed bag for me. Like the previous volumes, Whedon channels the characters extremely well. The inner conflicts that all these characters have is without a doubt the highlight of this Joss Whedon run. He just creates a personality for these X-Men and villains so well. My biggest issue with this run is that the plot just doesn't really have much clarity. I feel that maybe I missed a lot in the previous X-Men run before the Whedon run, especially a lot ...more
Stephen
Feb 18, 2015 Stephen rated it did not like it
Astonishing X-Men continues. There's trouble in the X-Mansion. Things aren't right with Emma Frost, and the all-new Hellfire Club finally make their move.

I can think of exactly one good thing about this arc, and that's the sequence where Wolverine gets regressed to the mental state of an eight year-old. If that doesn't scream low standards, I don't know what does.

Seriously. This arc was just... dull. The dialogue remains fantastic as ever, but the plot has stilted. Somehow Whedon manages in this
Mike
Feb 20, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Great, creative storytelling here - putting the balance all out of whack, giving us a while new way to look at the team. But even without a good story, I would celebrate this whole book for just the hilarious twist they put on our favourite hairy Canadian. Satisfying story, still-great art, and leaves us wanting to see where the team is headed next. Yes, I'm really intrigued and dying to get into the next (and for Whedon, the last) book.
AGamarra
Aug 15, 2015 AGamarra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cómics-y-mangas
La explicación final de cómo adquirió Emma Frost su forma diamantina se encuentra en este volumen. Empieza el combate contra el "Club del Fuego Infernal" y los X-Men. Emma Frost de manera sorprendente traiciona a Cíclope y hace el papel quizás que mejor le cae cuando es villana. Esto hace que aparezca como un nuevo apoyo "Armor", Hisako una estudiante muy aplicada y valiente que se ve envuelta al final de la derrota de Casandra Nova en un viaje hacia Breakworld.
Jeane
Aug 02, 2011 Jeane rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I love Joss Whedon's writing, and the fact that he brought about a story that faced a problem that the fans probably were having a hard time dealing with for a while, I know I did, can we really trust the White Queen? The art is great, and I love that Whedon wrote for the fan based which are not 9 year olds anymore, but are gown-ups, and he put them in grown up situations. It's really refreshing that after so long someone is taking the X-men seriously.
Artemy Nizovtsev
This is probably my favourite volume of Whedon's X-Men, or any other X-Men for that matter. It feels like watching some of the best episodes of Buffy (it actually conceptually resembles "Tabula Rasa"), only with X-Men as main characters. I love Logan as a little child. I love Scott "Making a statement". I love Kitty kicking Emma's ass. Gahd, I love this comic book. I am so happy it exists.
Elin the Lightship
Oct 06, 2014 Elin the Lightship rated it really liked it
Oh dear. Roller coaster-ride to say the least. Went from heartbrokenly sad to mad to giggling my daily use of giggles away. Hilarious. Emma/White/Cassandra (I'm a liiiittle bit confused here tbh) did a terrible horrible thing to my Kitty. Katya is mine and don't you dare hurt her in any way that's even close to somewhat permanent.
Richard
Apr 17, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Astonishing X-Men Vol 3: Torn collects issues #13 to 18 is a much better read than the second TPB. Torn focuses on Emma Frost (she's been acting a bit strange lately...)and the possible return of the Hellfire Club. Also, I enjoyed the way Joss Whedon evolved Kitty Pryde into one heck of a hero. Differently recommended for X-Men fans. Can't wait to get a hold of vol. 4.
  • New X-Men, Volume 2: Imperial
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 2: Grand Theft America
  • X-Force, Volume 2: Old Ghosts
  • X-Men: Nation X
  • X-Men: Schism
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Astonishing X-Men (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 1: Gifted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 7: Monstrous
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 8: Children of the Brood
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 9: Exalted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Volume 10: Northstar

“I'm totally cool. I'm totally calm, and I'm totally cool. My calm is exceeded only by my cool. Which is total. Here we go.” 16 likes
“There's so much you thought you could never face. The decision not to try to control your power, to let it be your demon. Too shameful to remember, so you let it eat your life up instead. But you're past it now, Scott. And all you had to defeat, all you had to let go of...was you. You're free, my love. You're free.” 7 likes