Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous (Astonishing X-Men #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  8,586 ratings  ·  203 reviews
A tragic death at the Xavier Institute reveals a powerful enemy living among the X-Men that they could never have suspected - and no, it's not Magneto. Things heat up in a way none of the X-Men ever dreamed, but will teamwork save the day when they can't even depend on themselves? Collects Astonishing X-Men #7-12.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 6/27/2007
Published June 27th 2007 by Marvel (first published March 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2

X-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonAstonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris Claremont
X-Men Trade Paperbacks
5th out of 133 books — 60 voters
Marvels by Kurt BusiekAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinX-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris Claremont
Best of Marvel Comics
10th out of 319 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittany
TALK ABOUT ONE UPPING YOUR PREDECESSOR!

First, I must comment on HOW FUCKING FUNNY THIS VOLUME WAS. Colossus was thinking about the fight, and Kitty was thinking about the fight, and Logan is thinking how much he loves beer. I was tickled beyond belief reading this. Half of me says it's because Joss is a fucking funny man. The other half of me tells me that it's just because the X-Men HAVE to joke. They're in such dire situations, comics and movies alike, and they have to keep their humanity some
Heather Sinclair
Joss Whedon takes the Star Trek cliche.. the holodeck malfunctions and comes alive.. and, well, doesn't do much with it other than give it breasts.
Ronyell
Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Flashback:

After reading the first volume, “Astonishing X-Men: Gifted,” I just could not wait to read the second volume in this fantastic series, “Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous!” Joss Whedon and John Cassaday has once again woven a truly interesting story that is way more intense than the first and is full of shocking surprises that will leave every X-Men fan shocked for the rest of their lives!

What is the story?

After the events of the first volume “Ast
Sesana
I know Joss Whedon has his own projects... But couldn't he have just kept writing X-Men forever? He gets the characters, he can set up an interesting plotline, he can write good, even funny dialog... He can even take the Colossus/Shadowcat relationship, which I've never, ever liked, and make me actually kinda like them together. I can't say that I'm entirely thrilled with Danger (a little too late TNG for my taste), but other than that, fantastic. And good art with personality!
Aaron
The Danger Room is the X-Men's highly advanced holographic training facility, augmented with alien technology. It's so advanced that it becomes sentient and lures a student to his death. The Danger Room (or just "Danger") maneuvers the X-Men and their students into a corner as it begins taking even further revenge on the team.

In a plot echoing the creation of Ultron, Charles Xavier inadvertently births a new artificial life form that emerges to attack the X-Men from the inside. I thought this ar
Elin the Lightship
This get's five stars because somehow it stirred so much emotions in me that even now, the third time I read it, I had close to tears all the way through.
X-men is one of my weak spots and it's hard to comprehend everything that's going on inside me unless you've lived in my brain for... a couple of years.
I cry at special scenes in movies that most people think makes no sense. It's not emotional even sometimes, I don't move a muscle to The Notebook. I cry because of the beauty, from how epic so
Justin
More hilarious snark! More fantastic artwork! The second volume of Whedon and Cassaday’s run on Astonishing X-Men is as good as the first in terms of story, characterization, and artwork, though it is perhaps not quite as accessible to new X-Men readers as the first volume. Thankfully, I’ve got enough background knowledge on the X-universe that it didn’t slow me down at all.

This volume breaks away from the story arc established in the first. Ord, the Breakworld, S.W.O.R.D., and the ominous proph
Bookwraiths
Reread. Just a great x-story.
Miriam
Unexpectedly tangential to the huge Mutation Cure! Alien Attacks! SWORD Secret Research Lab! Plot arc of the previous volume.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)

I watched the motion comic on Netflix not too long before I read this, and it was like déjà vu for me. That is to say, the motion comic suits this series very well. As with the first volume, Whedon's unique voice comes out in his writing. Emma Frost's bitingly sarcastic comments are very suited to Whedon's similar style of humor. The artwork of John Cassady is perfectly paired to Whedon's prose.

Funny enough, the members of this team of the X-Men aren't ones I'd think of as my favorites, with the
David Schaafsma
Why read this, when you think you just want to see the movies? Joss Whedon: his wit, his dialogue, his humor, on injecting horror into a sci fi series, his serious reflections on AI, on fear, on human weakness, on our desire to control the universe in order to control our fears. On the surface, this looks (to me) like a pretty standard sorta superhero comic book; scratch a little deeper, and it's unique and thoughtful, for general and superhero readers alike. And even for X-Men geeks (and I'm no ...more
Sam Quixote
If you ever watched episodes of Star Trek, be it The Next Generation or Voyager, you'll know there were episodes, maybe one a season, where the holodeck would malfunction and the holograms would become real. Joss Whedon takes that storyline and applies it to the X-Men, bringing the Danger Room (their version of the holodeck) to life, causing chaos and havoc. Granted it's not the holograms but the room itself, still...

The new shadow organisation SWORD is still in the background and seems likely t
Mike
This trade collects issues 7-12 of Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men.

Dangerous directly continues events started in Volume 1 (Gifted). It will be hard to follow and will loose a lot of impact if you don't read that first.

Vol 2 of Joss Whedon's X-men story expands see the team dealing with some of the indirect fallout of Ord's actions in the first trade. This gives an enemy the X-men have faced countless times a chance to meet them face to face at last. As the second act of our four act tale
Automation
Jan 30, 2008 Automation rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: retards
John Goode
You know how stories kind of wind down and the second part is less than the first? Not here. This story keeps better and better, want to introduce someone to X-Men? Get them volumes one and two.
Mary Mustachio
Joss, I tip my hat; I snap my fings; I toss my bra (oops, I mean) rose and pay you the highest of respect and the utmost of allegiance.

For reals, I hope you sit around your house all day - reflecting on all the awesomesauce you've played a part in creating - and scream at anyone who enters...

And if you (Joss) don't, you totally should.

And if you (remaining audience members) don't get the reference above and love the X-Men as much as this pretty lady, you should totally click on the link below...
Gavin
This was my second read of this (first was in a combined book with Vol 1). Strong work by Whedon here, keeping pace brilliantly, and introducing Danger, a villain that makes sense in so many ways I'm amazed no one thought of it first. Having Colossus back is enjoyable, he's never been in many of the X-books I've read, so it's kind of fresh. The appearance of Prof X. is important, as is the reaction Cyclops has to him when things are said and done. The strong characterization of all the players i ...more
Mike
I've seen Danger crop up in a few of the recent X comics, but had no idea when or where she came into being. Of all the new characters to be generated since I stopped reading comics in the 80's, I've figured most of them are just throwaway anyway. Thankfully, once in a while not only do I learn about one of them, but the origin actually has some weight behind it - i.e. there's some actual repercussions or permanent change to the x-verse history coming out of it.

That was a satisfying read - weigh
David Caldwell
What happens when you rely on alien technolgy that you haven't totally figured out? If you are the X-Men, expect it to come alive and try to kill you.

A really nice story arc. It helps to bring the latest team together alittle more. It also sheds a new light on Professor X in an unexpected way. There are also some hints of things to come.

Great writing with lots of action balanced with humor. Backed up with some gorgeous artwork. Definitely some good work here.
Brad
Stephen Leach

After getting off to a good start, things take a nosedive with this second volume. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it goes wrong: there's too many little twists that either aren't built up enough or fall flat, and a
The John
As a lifelong X-Men acolyte I believe Whedon and Cassady's Astonishing run stands alone as THE definitive X-Men story. Whether you've never read an X-Men comic before or you're thinking about growing out your sideburns and changing your name to Logan (I don't recognize the James Howlett's of this world.),you will be able to pick up and enjoy this amazing mix of spot on characterization and flawless art.
Jamie
This one pretty much lost me at the concept stage. Danger Room grows sentient and attacks? No thanks. I'm kind of surprised how lacking in personality this title is. It seems rather standard for the caliber of people involved--though I know I am pretty well in the wilderness as far as this opinion is concerned. Oh, well, hopefully vol. 3 will be a step up.

Alex Lee
This volume was better than the first one. The pacing for what needed to happen was fast; and as a team x-men worked out very smoothly, as expected. There was, however, nearly no twist to this, despite the changing need to deploy the team members smoothly. As always the art was good. The ending however, made all the difference, as the ending tied together the plot so that all the characters found their center again. As typical with comic books, we get a glimpse at normalcy (for them) but also an ...more
Silas
This was an enjoyable volume. It has the first appearance of Danger, which I had always wondered about, and this has all the beats of a Whedon story, which is enjoyable in itself (but very distinct). The cast expands a bit here from the last volume, but slowly, and a lot of the enjoyment is based on the characters interacting rather than on fight scenes, though there are also plenty of those. Nobody here comes off perfect, which is nice, and I do like some of the developments for some of the cha ...more
Jesse Lehrer
Whedon is killing it with this series. He has a knack for making up corny villains but then making them kinda awesome, and that is done really well with "Danger" in this volume. It's a bit ridiculous, but he makes it work - and with the bit about Shi'ar tech being self-aware it all kinda comes together in a wacky way.

The art continues to be amazing and a huge draw point for the book. And the end was a twist I definitely didn't see coming although it, of course, immediately made sense.

The story i
Lynda
I hate having to rate books. Is this the best comic (graphic) I have ever read? No. However, I loved it.
Joshua
danger room sentient?

This got me to stop reading his run.
Jordan
Mar 01, 2015 Jordan added it
TL:DR

I watched the animated version of this on Netflix. I liked it more than I anticipated. I now feel brave enough to branch out and read more superhero comics which I had never done before this.

Review

A Note about the Motion Comics

I watched an animation of this on Netflix, so that's what I am reviewing. From what I understand it is the same story, just animated a little bit and with voice acting and music and such. I don't have a ton of experience with comics and what I watched, called a motion
  • New X-Men, Vol. 2: Imperial
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 5: Ghost Box
  • X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 4: Hellfire and Brimstone
  • X-Men: Messiah Complex
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout
  • X-Factor, Vol. 1: The Longest Night
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Astonishing X-Men (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 8: Children of the Brood
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 9: Exalted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 10: Northstar
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 11: Weaponized
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1) Fray The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)

“The news isn't there to tell you what happened. It's there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.” 50 likes
“You can't just throw people at all your problems, dear.” 18 likes