Start by marking “Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous” as Want to Read:
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous (Astonishing X-Men #2)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  9,601 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
A tragic death at the Xavier Institute reveals a powerful enemy living among the X-Men that they could never have suspected - and no, it's not Magneto. Things heat up in a way none of the X-Men ever dreamed, but will teamwork save the day when they can't even depend on themselves? Collects Astonishing X-Men #7-12.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 6/27/2007
Published June 27th 2007 by Marvel (first published March 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2

X-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonAstonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris Claremont
X-Men Trade Paperbacks
6th out of 205 books — 80 voters
Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonMarvels by Kurt BusiekX-Men by Chris ClaremontThe Infinity Gauntlet by Jim StarlinX-Men by Chris Claremont
Best of Marvel Comics
9th out of 405 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
Jul 07, 2016 Kemper rated it really liked it
The new X-Men team continues to promote the mutant cause by astonishing the world with their super heroics. Things go pretty well when they help drive a giant monster out of Manhattan with a little help from the Fantastic Four, but there’s problems back at the school with the revelation of a ‘cure’ for the mutant gene causing tension. The exposure of an old secret also turns out to be the birth of their latest enemy, and this is a threat unlike anything the X-Men have faced before.

This is a stro
Josu
Jul 15, 2016 Josu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-2-julio, marvel
No tenía muchas esperanzas puestas en este tomo, pero me ha sorprendido... y mucho. La trama en general ha sido interesante, presentando situaciones guays y descubriendo traiciones e historias del pasado para aderezarlo. Personajes como Emma se hacen más y más interesantes, hay tiempo para el amor y para unos cuantos giros muy buenos. Me ha entretenido y lo mejor de todo, me ha enganchado. Voló en mis manos, deseoso de saber qué ocurría. Muy buena mejora respecto a la primera entrega.
Nicolo Yu
Mar 09, 2012 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
It took a few years, but I finally have my second volume of the Astonishing X-Men hardcover, completing Joss Whedon’s and John Cassaday’s twenty-five issue run in the title.

This hardcover collection, like the one that precedes it, contains two story arcs, with the last culminating in an oversized “giant-sized” issue. The first story, “Torn”, features the return of a new incarnation of a classic X-Men nemesis, the Hellfire Club, or is it? With psychics, one can never be too sure how much your per
Brittany
TALK ABOUT ONE UPPING YOUR PREDECESSOR!

First, I must comment on HOW FUCKING FUNNY THIS VOLUME WAS. Colossus was thinking about the fight, and Kitty was thinking about the fight, and Logan is thinking how much he loves beer. I was tickled beyond belief reading this. Half of me says it's because Joss is a fucking funny man. The other half of me tells me that it's just because the X-Men HAVE to joke. They're in such dire situations, comics and movies alike, and they have to keep their humanity some
Heather Sinclair
Aug 28, 2007 Heather Sinclair rated it it was ok
Joss Whedon takes the Star Trek cliche.. the holodeck malfunctions and comes alive.. and, well, doesn't do much with it other than give it breasts.
Ronyell
Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Flashback:

After reading the first volume, “Astonishing X-Men: Gifted,” I just could not wait to read the second volume in this fantastic series, “Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous!” Joss Whedon and John Cassaday has once again woven a truly interesting story that is way more intense than the first and is full of shocking surprises that will leave every X-Men fan shocked for the rest of their lives!

What is the story?

After the events of the first volume “Ast
Bhanuj
May 09, 2016 Bhanuj rated it did not like it
It was not my cup of tea.

After having really enjoyed the Volume 1, I had high expectations from Volume 2. For a while it felt that the story is going to be mind blowing! The part till the tragic death occurs in the institute, had me by the edge of my seat and then, I fell. Sadly, I fell into a deep abyss of confusion and disappointment.

The powerful enemy in this issue is the danger room, taking a physical form which just didn't go oh so well with me. Meh! Hope the next volume brings something
Sesana
Feb 02, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
I know Joss Whedon has his own projects... But couldn't he have just kept writing X-Men forever? He gets the characters, he can set up an interesting plotline, he can write good, even funny dialog... He can even take the Colossus/Shadowcat relationship, which I've never, ever liked, and make me actually kinda like them together. I can't say that I'm entirely thrilled with Danger (a little too late TNG for my taste), but other than that, fantastic. And good art with personality!
Aaron
Apr 27, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
The Danger Room is the X-Men's highly advanced holographic training facility, augmented with alien technology. It's so advanced that it becomes sentient and lures a student to his death. The Danger Room (or just "Danger") maneuvers the X-Men and their students into a corner as it begins taking even further revenge on the team.

In a plot echoing the creation of Ultron, Charles Xavier inadvertently births a new artificial life form that emerges to attack the X-Men from the inside. I thought this ar
Elin the Lightship
This get's five stars because somehow it stirred so much emotions in me that even now, the third time I read it, I had close to tears all the way through.
X-men is one of my weak spots and it's hard to comprehend everything that's going on inside me unless you've lived in my brain for... a couple of years.
I cry at special scenes in movies that most people think makes no sense. It's not emotional even sometimes, I don't move a muscle to The Notebook. I cry because of the beauty, from how epic so
Damon
Aug 27, 2016 Damon rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Still not really interesting at all.
Justin
Jul 28, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
More hilarious snark! More fantastic artwork! The second volume of Whedon and Cassaday’s run on Astonishing X-Men is as good as the first in terms of story, characterization, and artwork, though it is perhaps not quite as accessible to new X-Men readers as the first volume. Thankfully, I’ve got enough background knowledge on the X-universe that it didn’t slow me down at all.

This volume breaks away from the story arc established in the first. Ord, the Breakworld, S.W.O.R.D., and the ominous proph
Miriam
Feb 08, 2011 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, superheroic
Unexpectedly tangential to the huge Mutation Cure! Alien Attacks! SWORD Secret Research Lab! Plot arc of the previous volume.
Bookwraiths
Sep 25, 2016 Bookwraiths rated it really liked it
Reread. Just a great x-story.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)

I watched the motion comic on Netflix not too long before I read this, and it was like déjà vu for me. That is to say, the motion comic suits this series very well. As with the first volume, Whedon's unique voice comes out in his writing. Emma Frost's bitingly sarcastic comments are very suited to Whedon's similar style of humor. The artwork of John Cassady is perfectly paired to Whedon's prose.

Funny enough, the members of this team of the X-Men aren't ones I'd think of as my favorites, with the
David Schaafsma
Aug 25, 2013 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Why read this, when you think you just want to see the movies? Joss Whedon: his wit, his dialogue, his humor, on injecting horror into a sci fi series, his serious reflections on AI, on fear, on human weakness, on our desire to control the universe in order to control our fears. On the surface, this looks (to me) like a pretty standard sorta superhero comic book; scratch a little deeper, and it's unique and thoughtful, for general and superhero readers alike. And even for X-Men geeks (and I'm no ...more
Sam Quixote
Jun 09, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
If you ever watched episodes of Star Trek, be it The Next Generation or Voyager, you'll know there were episodes, maybe one a season, where the holodeck would malfunction and the holograms would become real. Joss Whedon takes that storyline and applies it to the X-Men, bringing the Danger Room (their version of the holodeck) to life, causing chaos and havoc. Granted it's not the holograms but the room itself, still...

The new shadow organisation SWORD is still in the background and seems likely t
Mike
May 20, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This trade collects issues 7-12 of Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men.

Dangerous directly continues events started in Volume 1 (Gifted). It will be hard to follow and will loose a lot of impact if you don't read that first.

Vol 2 of Joss Whedon's X-men story expands see the team dealing with some of the indirect fallout of Ord's actions in the first trade. This gives an enemy the X-men have faced countless times a chance to meet them face to face at last. As the second act of our four act tale
Rachael
Aug 25, 2016 Rachael rated it it was amazing
This took a bit longer to read because I had a 9 hour driving trip with family both ways this past weekend, but no matter. It was an excellent continuation to our story in vol. 1- I think I liked this volume even more. The story revolves less around Ord this time and more about the X-Men themselves, and the troubles they have with the danger room. I liked that the Fantastic Four was in this volume as well. I anxiously await future volumes.
Automation
Jan 30, 2008 Automation rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: retards
John Goode
Sep 30, 2014 John Goode rated it it was amazing
You know how stories kind of wind down and the second part is less than the first? Not here. This story keeps better and better, want to introduce someone to X-Men? Get them volumes one and two.
Mary Mustachio
Nov 27, 2013 Mary Mustachio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joss, I tip my hat; I snap my fings; I toss my bra (oops, I mean) rose and pay you the highest of respect and the utmost of allegiance.

For reals, I hope you sit around your house all day - reflecting on all the awesomesauce you've played a part in creating - and scream at anyone who enters...

And if you (Joss) don't, you totally should.

And if you (remaining audience members) don't get the reference above and love the X-Men as much as this pretty lady, you should totally click on the link below...
Gavin
Mar 04, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was my second read of this (first was in a combined book with Vol 1). Strong work by Whedon here, keeping pace brilliantly, and introducing Danger, a villain that makes sense in so many ways I'm amazed no one thought of it first. Having Colossus back is enjoyable, he's never been in many of the X-books I've read, so it's kind of fresh. The appearance of Prof X. is important, as is the reaction Cyclops has to him when things are said and done. The strong characterization of all the players i ...more
Mike
Feb 20, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
I've seen Danger crop up in a few of the recent X comics, but had no idea when or where she came into being. Of all the new characters to be generated since I stopped reading comics in the 80's, I've figured most of them are just throwaway anyway. Thankfully, once in a while not only do I learn about one of them, but the origin actually has some weight behind it - i.e. there's some actual repercussions or permanent change to the x-verse history coming out of it.

That was a satisfying read - weigh
David Caldwell
Aug 22, 2015 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
What happens when you rely on alien technolgy that you haven't totally figured out? If you are the X-Men, expect it to come alive and try to kill you.

A really nice story arc. It helps to bring the latest team together alittle more. It also sheds a new light on Professor X in an unexpected way. There are also some hints of things to come.

Great writing with lots of action balanced with humor. Backed up with some gorgeous artwork. Definitely some good work here.
Katie
Oct 23, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing
Ugh, this was really disturbing to me, but also very well done.
Tarique Ejaz
Apr 13, 2016 Tarique Ejaz rated it liked it
"I was programmed to kill each and every one of you. Just Father's restraint held me back."

A new threat is out and about and the death of a student, a former-mutant that is, has ushered this particular threat. And to top it all off, this threat is more internal and startlingly familiar to the X-Men than Magneto himself, if I may be so bold enough to say.

"I have fought against each and every one of you so many times that I fail to count. I know all your strengths and weaknesses."

The Danger Room,
Brad
Aug 10, 2014 Brad rated it it was ok
The John
Dec 26, 2010 The John rated it it was amazing
As a lifelong X-Men acolyte I believe Whedon and Cassady's Astonishing run stands alone as THE definitive X-Men story. Whether you've never read an X-Men comic before or you're thinking about growing out your sideburns and changing your name to Logan (I don't recognize the James Howlett's of this world.),you will be able to pick up and enjoy this amazing mix of spot on characterization and flawless art.
Jamie
Aug 11, 2008 Jamie rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphicnovels
This one pretty much lost me at the concept stage. Danger Room grows sentient and attacks? No thanks. I'm kind of surprised how lacking in personality this title is. It seems rather standard for the caliber of people involved--though I know I am pretty well in the wilderness as far as this opinion is concerned. Oh, well, hopefully vol. 3 will be a step up.

• New X-Men, Vol. 2: Imperial
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 3: World Tour
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 5: Ghost Box
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • X-Men: Messiah CompleX
  • X-Men: Second Coming
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 8: New Mutants
  • X-Men: Schism
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Astonishing X-Men (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 8: Children of the Brood
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 9: Exalted
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 10: Northstar
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 11: Weaponized

“The news isn't there to tell you what happened. It's there to tell you what it wants you to hear or what it thinks you want to hear.” 58 likes
“You can't just throw people at all your problems, dear.” 20 likes