Start by marking “Exploring the Titanic: How the Greatest Ship Ever Lost—Was Found” as Want to Read:
Exploring the Titanic: How the Greatest Ship Ever Lost—Was Found

Exploring the Titanic: How the Greatest Ship Ever Lost—Was Found

For the first time, the complete story of the sinking and discovery of the "Titanic" is available to young readers, written by the author of the bestseller "The Discovery of the Titanic". "Captures the drama of both the night of the sinking as well as . . . the discovery of the great ship. . . . Stunning".--"School Library Journal", starred review. Full-color illustrations ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Madison Press Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Exploring the Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploring the Titanic

Rae
Oct 05, 2015 Rae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-k-5
Tarissa
May 29, 2013 Tarissa rated it really liked it
In this book, Dr. Robert Ballard explains how he located the Titanic's shipwreck 73 years after it sank. The story of the Titanic is told: main facts about the ship, the voyage, the sinking, etc. Ballard then goes on to tell about his expeditions, and the condition of the ship and debris as it was found. The underwater photos that Ballard obtained are equally informative.

"Exploring the Titanic" is actually just a reduced version of Ballard's bestseller, "The Discovery of the Titanic". I would re
Wayne S.
Aug 18, 2015 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
Nearly everyone has heard of the Titanic, the “unsinkable” ocean liner that on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic Ocean from England to the United States in 1912 hit an iceberg and sank into nearly twelve and a half thousand feet of water (over two miles), with the loss of some 1,500 lives out of 2,223 passengers. For the next 73 years, the wreck lay unexplored until a French-American team led by author Robert D. Ballard discovered its location in 1985. This book tells the complete tragic and ...more
Caleb Gates
Jan 22, 2016 Caleb Gates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shipwreck
I love the titanic. because it is an unsinkable ship
Lauren
Apr 26, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012
Este libro narra la experiencia del doctor Ballard durante su investigación para localizar los restos del Titanic y cómo logró dar con él usando las coordenadas donde fueron recogidos los barcos salvavidas y utilizando sonares y otros instrumentales de la década de los años 80.

Además, reconstruye cómo fueron los últimos momentos de los pasajeros e incluye fotos de su viaje, y fotos de partes del barco antes (del naufragio)-después (al ser encontrado pasados más de 70 años).
El libro al ser bastan
Chloe Dryke
The Titanic is an enigmatic true story of the ship that was originally deemed as "unsinkable". All goes wrong when the beautiful ship strikes an iceberg and a hole is torn into the hull of the ship. This is a great informational text that has lots of facts about this very famous ship. I would maybe have an entire text set dedicated to the titanic, and this book would be a part of it in my classroom.
Andrea Wick
This book gives great information about the Titanic. It is formatted like a chapter book but includes many pictures, maps, and diagrams.

This would be great to pull out during a history lesson. It would also be a great book to have around since this is a hot topic for all levels.
h
Oct 05, 2015 h rated it it was ok
Interesting and it had a lot of facts. It was also a bit boring because I am more interested in fiction books.
Laima
Mar 31, 2014 Laima rated it really liked it
A great book to spark your interest in the story. Excellent illustrations and fun facts. Wished there was more.
Ashwise
Jun 18, 2014 Ashwise rated it it was amazing
A fantatsic look at the wreck of the Titanic when it was discovered in 1985.
Ashley Zuidema
Great read, love the pictures.
Marie
Jul 18, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
The facts are amazing and it took t
Anna
Jan 22, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
It was the best book ever!
Madyson Ogdahl
Mar 19, 2013 Madyson Ogdahl rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, because I like to hear about the titanic. It has some interesting facts and picture in the book. I would recommend this book to almost everyone. I was really surprised that when it showed the bed rooms and different rooms, the sizes of them. I love to look up the pictures that were in the book, because they were very fun to look at. I think you should read this, but especially if you like to hear about the titanic. So some time you should give it a shot!
Taneysha forsyth
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT A SHIP THAT WENT DOWN UNDER WATER B/C IT HIT AN ICE BREG.MANY OF THE PEOPLE GOT AWAY BUT MILLIONS DIED B/C OF THE COLD WATER OR THEY GOT SHOT OR HURT.I THINK THIS SHIP WAS THE BIGGEST ON UNTIL THIS DAY.This book taught me a lesson about never to ride by an ice breg i was scared when i saw the boat go up.I love this book alot.
Jay Luke
Aug 17, 2012 Jay Luke rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book about 10 years before the James Cameron film came out and it became Titanic mania. Robert Ballard is an inspiring figure in my life and I was fortunate enough to have met him. I hold this signed copy of his book as one of the more cherished books I own.
Dustyn Frankcom
This is the very book that sparked my interest in the Titanic. I read this in 2005 and have been hooked ever since. I have since read five more books on the topic and have memorised several facts about the ship. I now am Titanic-obsessed thanks to this book.
Rachel
I read this book so many times that the pages are all in singles now. I had Titanic-Mania for my entire childhood. I don't know how this title compares to other Titanic related subjects, but I still own and read this book 20 years later.
Namiko
Nov 13, 2013 Namiko rated it really liked it
It is very interesting to learn about the Titanic. And this book helps a lot with pictures and drawings.

It is a 'real book' (I mean it is not a graded reader book) but it is not too difficult.
Rae
May 12, 2008 Rae rated it really liked it
A follow up to Ballard's previous book on the Titanic. In this one he shares newer photos and gives more complete information as to how the ship might have gone down.
Maura
Aug 05, 2012 Maura rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent book. My Son bought at school book fair. This book never fails to turn up under beds, in toy box and on floor! It has held the kid's attention forever.
Deborah Harris
Dec 15, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a14, ar-6
AR Quiz No. 564 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 6.6 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Jessica
Jan 24, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever read about the Titanic... I am looking forward to revisiting it as a "grown-up."

Still excellent!
House of Aqua
Apr 05, 2012 House of Aqua rated it it was amazing
This was a great easy book to read and to learn facts about the Titantic. I enjoyed the pictures and read this book with my child.
Pat DeDominicis
Iloved this book. It is the best one I have read regarding the Titanic
Courtney
Dec 05, 2008 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
First sparked my interest in the Titanic back in elementary school.
Demarciya
Dec 17, 2013 Demarciya rated it really liked it
its a sad book but it the best book i evr read before
Bridget R. Wilson
Interesting, but I want to know more than this book told.
Jamie
Jan 02, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I first read it in Junior High!
Rowdy
Jul 25, 2011 Rowdy rated it it was amazing
Thus began my obsession with the Titanic...
Exploring The Titanic 1 1 May 24, 2014 12:38AM
  • Inside the Titanic: A Giant Cutaway Book
  • You Wouldn't Want To Sail On The Titanic!: One Voyage You'd Rather Not Make
  • Titanic
  • Polar: The Titanic Bear
  • Ghosts Of The Abyss: A Journey Into The Heart Of The Titanic
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • D Is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet
  • Titanic: A Survivor's Story
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Titanic Survivor
  • With Courage and Cloth: Winning the Fight for a Woman's Right to Vote
Robert Duane Ballard (born June 30, 1942 in Wichita, Kansas) is a former commander in the United States Navy and an oceanographer who is most noted for his work in underwater archaeology. He is most famous for the discoveries of the wrecks of the RMS Titanic in 1985, the battleship Bismarck in 1989, and the wreck of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown in 1998. Most recently he discovered the wreck o ...more
More about Robert D. Ballard...