Start by marking “Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Whether you've made melt-and-pour soap and want to move on -- or you've made traditional soap with slow, outmoded methods -- or you've never made a bar in your life -- you'll find Smart Soapmaking practical, helpful, and refreshing. Written by a former professional soapmaker, this book explodes the myths about soapmaking and shows you how to make luxurious soap with the le ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Shepard Publications

To ask other readers questions about Smart Soapmaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Soapmaking

Her books have such a high readability level; it's refreshing to read these little wonders. In both this one and her Milk soapmaking books, the basic tenet of her approach to soapmaking is just this: measure all ingredients accurately, follow the safe guidelines with a healthy respect for anything involving lye, do the steps in the proper order and you WILL get soap. She's putting "relax" between every word, every line, every step. Probably a good thing since beginning soap makers can easily ove ...more
Very clearly written, with easy to follow instructions, and a reassuring tone. I'm all psyched to give it a second attempt, on my own this time!
I wish I discovered this gem earlier in my soap making endeavors. Excellent book for someone who loves to experiment in making soap! It's clear, concise and doesn't make a hobby into drudgery. The recipes are truly different for each kind of soap, unlike many similar books. Additionally, the author also has a great website which documents her experiments in soap making.
John Lucy
Watson's little book is probably best for first-time soapmakers. I am myself a first-timer so very much appreciate the simplicity that Watson writes with and how she makes everything seem easy, safe, and fun, without an overload of information.

But, though she says that the book can be used by all folk, I imagine that when I am more experienced her book will be less helpful to me. While reading I already thought of questions that she does not cover or not thoroughly. Watson is very good at making
Jolynn Armstrong

I've read many soap making books and this is by far the best of the lot. She explains not only the how-to, she explains the why-for of the process. It's not just a bunch of recipes using expensive butters with various additives.

I highly recommend this to anyone thinking about making cold process soap.
Stacy Hanzely

Been making soap for two years and learned a few rules I was taught fall actually into her myth category. Excited to make my next batch a little differently. New or experienced soap makers could benefit from this book!
Elizabeth Flowers
Great for beginners!

Great for beginners!

EASY to understand, good info, provides resources for readily available items for beginners! If you are wanting to start making your own, this is a great place to start!

Pam Franks
Lots of Good Information

I have not tried the recipes yet because I am new to soap making and I want to start with melt and pour but I have read several books and this one is the best I have found for a beginner.
Sep 23, 2014 akc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, ebooks
Great book for newbies. I've been making soap for over 20 years, and I found things in here that would have been so very helpful when I was just getting started.
Laura Gregones
Very helpful book.

Took my fear of working with lye away. Can't wait to get started. highly recommend for new soap makers. thanks
soapmaking is going to be my new hobby and this book will be my go to guide. first book that wasn't scary complicated.
Carolyn Sisko
I have never made any soap yet. I chose this book as my first to read. Definitely, a good reading book on soap making. Sounds easy to do. I have a better understanding now.
I've wanted to try my hand at making soap for a while, but it seemed more than slightly daunting. Anne made it sound quite simple and in fact, it was! I made my first batch a couple days ago and I think it turned out well, though time will tell. This book is perfect for the very beginner, but I'm already finding myself seeking other sources for new recipes. I really appreciate that this book gave me the confidence to try something new!
A Great Introduction to Soap Making

This book had a wealth of information presented in an easy to read manner. I especially appreciated the time the author took to wade through the myths regarding soap making in order to present a concise procedure for successful soap making. I thought that this book was so well done that I purchased her milk soap making, lotion making and cookie press books as well.
I have yet to make soap based on this book..but the book made me ready to want to dive in. The book is written very straightforward and seems to cut away a lot of the fear in trying your hand at a new project. I rad through it in one sitting. I look forward to rereading and testing it out.
Adam Parker
A great starter book for soap making! Her writing style is fun, light, and very informative. My first batch went off without a hitch and no chemical burns! Anne has her ducks in a row. If you are at all interested in soap making, grab this book off the shelf first.
Anna George
Very easy to follow, nice recipes that can be made with ingredients straight from the grocery store--huzzah! I made the olive oil soap with an orange and clove essential oil blend and it turned out lovely. Breaks down a lot of myths.
Sarah Kingston
This great book breaks it down. There are many "rules" of soap making, but she tells you which ones are not necessary. There are several recipes, step-by-step instructions, and witty commentary. It's a good reference to have.
Kelly Horn
Brief and thorough (a winning combination) and it taught me to make soap (I, having never taken chemistry and gifted with only the most basic of math skills). Excellent place to start if you're considering this hobby.
A great book for beginning soap makers.The book has a lot of good information and easy to understand.
Breaks down the myths of soap-making and has anything you need to know, plus a fair amount of recipes.
Very simply written with a confident, reassuring, veteran voice. Can't wait to try out the recipes.
It a great basic soap-making book. If you're new to soap-making, get it
Jaice Keys-DuMars
A very good introduction to making soap.
Susana Mota
Susana Mota marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Basic Soap Making: All the Skills and Tools You Need to Get Started
  • The Everything Soapmaking Book: Recipes and Techniques for Creating Colorful and Fragrant Soaps
  • Make Your Place: Affordable, Sustainable Nesting Skills
  • The BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook
  • Natural Beauty at Home, Revised Edition: More Than 250 Easy-to-Use Recipes for Body, Bath, and Hair
  • Forgotten Household Crafts
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
  • Charles Harper's Birds and Words
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature