Start by marking “A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales (Book 1)” as Want to Read:
A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales (Book 1)

A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales (Book 1)

Collection of fairy tales for children with beautiful illustrations:
The Ugly Duckling
Prince Kamar and Princess Budur
Hans in Luck
The Three Musicians
287 pages
Published 1972 by The Danbury Press, a division of Grolier Enterprises, Inc. (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Treasury of the World's Greatest Fairy Tales

Liz
Apr 13, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Shelves: favorite
This is now out of print, but I remember reading this as a little girl and just staring at the paintings for a long time. I also love how these classic stories were written so well.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This book and it's second volume were some of my all time favorite books as a child. I read and read and read these books over and over again. I have found in general her adaptations are much closer to the original especially of HC Anderson and therefore not quite as PC as other adaptations. For example, my boys love how the hunter cuts the wolf open to let out Little Red Ridinghood's grandma :) These books are in pretty bad shape so I can't let the little ones look through them but we love to ...more
Jocelyn Koehler
Apr 15, 2012 Jocelyn Koehler rated it it was amazing
One of my most beloved childhood books (along with its companion volume)! The stories are fairly standard, but the illustrations make these books dazzling. Most of the usual suspects are here, HCA's Ugly Duckling, to Ali Baba & the Forty Thieves, to the Princess and the Frog. Each story is illustrated in a slightly different style, and there is a conscious effort to show different cultures. It doesn't always work (Aladdin's tale appears distinctly East Asian rather than Arabian, for ...more
Amanda Nuchols
Jun 10, 2015 Amanda Nuchols rated it really liked it
We have an old hardback copy of this collection from when I was a child and now we read it to our own 4-year-old daughter. The stories are many which you can find in several collections, classic fairy stories that we all know, but the special part of this book is the artwork. The paintings that grace every page bring the stories to life with a joyous quality that will have you reading from this book over and over again.
Chris
Jul 23, 2010 Chris rated it it was amazing
I had this volume and the second one as child. What do I mean have, I still have. I know extactly where they are. The retellings are good, but the artwork is outstanding. Colorful and the style changes with the tale.
Brook
Mar 29, 2010 Brook rated it it was amazing
These are the fairy tale collections that I grew up on. My mom was kind enough to lend them to me to read to my children. I have been searching for an illustrated fairy tale collection to buy for my children--but I don't know if anything will measure up to these treasured books.
Shiloh
Jul 23, 2012 Shiloh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-books
This is one of my most cherished books growing up! I would fall asleep reading it as a young child. When I think of classic fairy tales, it is these drawings in this book that I imagine.
Kristie
Feb 27, 2016 Kristie rated it it was amazing
Without question, the BEST selection of fairy tales I've ever seen. The writing is engaging and the pictures are beautiful.
Shelle Haglund
Shelle Haglund rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Kari
Kari rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2010
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2013
Lia
Jul 30, 2009 Lia rated it it was amazing
Marvelous pictures.
Emily S.
Emily S. rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Julianne
Julianne rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Richard Miller
Richard Miller rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
De-Ann
De-Ann rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2009
LeAnn
LeAnn rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Eliza Wyatt
Eliza Wyatt rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2010
edh
edh rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Mishka Ferguson
Mishka Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2010
Lachelle
Feb 26, 2009 Lachelle rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Great pictures and beautiful imagery! Love it so much and still have it today.
Rosalind
Rosalind rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Carmel
Carmel rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
FireFly Squidboy
FireFly Squidboy rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2015
Kami
Aug 02, 2010 Kami rated it it was amazing
Guess what my daughters are getting for Christmas....
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2009
Silvia Cachia
Jun 11, 2011 Silvia Cachia rated it it was amazing
Great illustrations. My favorite retelling of The Princess and The Frog.
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2012