Start by marking “Dog Years: A Memoir (P.S.)” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,206 Ratings  ·  373 Reviews
Dog Years: A Memoir (P.S.)
Published April 8th 2008 by Harper Perennial (first published March 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Years

Jennifer (aka EM)
Sep 28, 2011 Jennifer (aka EM) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer (aka EM) by: Koeeoaddi
Beautiful book. Surprising in many ways - the poetry of it; the poetry in it (a lot of Emily Dickinson). Wide-ranging, introspective: from the failure and futility of language as a way to understand another being (leave it to a poet to point out language's short-comings); to the power of love and art to keep us tethered and grounded and here, and to give us the meaning we need to stick around and to rise above grief and despair - the ever-present human condition.

(view spoiler)
Inder
Aug 03, 2007 Inder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melancholy dog lovers
This is really a book about endless heartbreaking loss, which sounds pretty depressing, and it is. But you can't have joy and love without loss. Since I have gotten my dog, this basic vulnerability seems more clear and poignant than ever. When you really give your heart to an animal, you know you are setting yourself up for loss in the long run, but the experience of giving and receiving unconditional love is so worth it. I'm a sucker for a great dog memoir, and this one is especially lovely.
Lara
It would be redundant to say this book is "poetic." Mark Doty illuminates every subject he touches with the duality of hope and despair, love and loss. He resides in a world of metaphor, and for that reason he cuts into the difficult, the unsayable, with a blade of revelation. This is so much more than a dog book. We're given glimpses of a human life that is woven into and around the lifetime of two dogs. The immediacy that demands, the simplicity of love at its most basic and wild.

He describes
Peter Derk
As someone who is not really a dog person, a dog book is a tough sell for me. I don't want to say that I don't give a shit when someone's dog dies. But to be honest, everyone's dog dies. Either the dog dies or the person dies, right? And unless a dog wrote a book about his owner dying (has anyone done that yet? The owner dying from the dog's perspective? Holy shit: Cha-ching!) it's gonna be the dog.

So what makes this one different?

Well, it's not just about these dogs. Yeah, there are two dogs. S
Ruth
Mar 19, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll confess right up front that I’m a great fan of Mark Doty’s poetry and memoirs. This memoir is wrapped around dogs for which Doty displays a deep understanding. Although he tips perilously close to assigning them human thoughts, he never steps over the line. He allows dogs their own particularly canine dignity, without trying to make them human or assign to them mysterious, otherworldly qualities. If you were as disgusted with the novel, Edgar Sawtelle, as I was, this is the book to restore ...more
Nathan Burgoine
Apr 22, 2012 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, nonfiction
I rarely step into the world of the memoir unless I've met someone who inspires me to give it a shot. I heard Mark Doty speak at this year's Saints and Sinners in New Orleans, and nabbed this book immediately thereafter.

The book is clever - at first you believe you'll be reading "just" a story about the life of this one particular dog, but it's very quickly obvious that this dog, like all dogs, has woven his way into every part of the lives of his people, and the story widens and narrows in scop
Connie
Mark Doty adopted a second dog from a shelter when his partner, Wally, was dying of AIDS. The companionship of Arden, a black retriever, and Beau, a golden retriever, helped them both get through this difficult time. Later, he and his new partner, Paul, return the favor and give excellent care to the retrievers as they age.

The book is much more than just another dog story. Written in introspective poetic prose, Doty writes about love, relationships with both dogs and people, loss and grieving. T
secondwomn
Aug 12, 2007 secondwomn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, biography
a beautiful memoir organized around the two retrievers in doty's life. doty is, by the way, one of the great contemporary american poets. this book contains everything that his best poems do: wit, humor, self-awareness, communal-awareness, philosophy, warmth, sorrow. i cannot recommend it highly enough. perhaps the great achievement of dog years is that it is emotional without being sentimental. it examines life and love without pretense or arrogance.
Kristen
Jan 04, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the dreaded trifecta: grief, loneliness and depression. I believe people who have suffered have a silent stream running through them. I can speak to someone and know immediately if their soul and heart have been scarred by unspeakable grief/loss. It's such a tricky conversation to start but one that needs to happen for the slow process of healing to begin. And important to note: when you come out, you will forever be altered. The author does a good job of ripping open the lid ...more
Patrick Santana
Jun 14, 2014 Patrick Santana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a nice wandering quality to this memoir. Mr Doty meanders over poems, death, Provincetown, animal traits, anything and everything that his path crosses in this meditation upon dogs and their meaning to him (and to us, collectively). His deepest thoughts settle around mortality -- and I found it a good read. There are insights here which come as no great revelation to me, as a fellow dog guardian, but still feel important to read, ponder, and absorb. And some of the chapters are plain fun ...more
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2007 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers
This book took me on something of an emotional rollercoaster ride. Doty seems to be at his best when he is focusing on the details of the lives of the two dogs he recounts here, and what it is to live with dogs who are getting older. The pace is fairly breezy, until he describes the end of both dogs' lives -- then it becomes so painstakingly detailed that I felt like I was there with Doty and the dog in question. To be read with kleenex nearby.
Jami
This is just okay for me; I would rate it around a 2.5-2.75. As a dog person, I was expecting to enjoy this more. There are some tidbits that I found I could relate and some parts are moving, but sometimes the story is very disjointed. Also, I am listening to this on audio and the author probably should not be narrating the book; it may be more enjoyable in book form.
Tamarind
I didn't particularly enjoy this author's writing style, and he seemed to jump around a lot, but I kept reading because of his love for his dogs. When both of the dogs died, I cried each time, out of love for my dog, and for the he love he had for his dogs.
Mary
Loved this...simply radiant from beginning to end. It was like reading one long, breathtakingly beautiful poem.
Darlene
Oct 15, 2011 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully moving story of a man and his love for all of the dogs who have passed through his life. Mr. Doty is a teacher of poetry and a poet by profession and his writing has a beautiful lyrical quality which I loved.

Mr. Doty wrote his very personal story in a way which really resonated with me. He put into words things that I've felt but could never express.He talks about the grief that he felt over the passing of his lifelong partner from AIDS, the death of their dog, Beau, who
Beverly
Mar 19, 2008 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary. I am listening to it a second time. I was already a HUGE fan of Mark Doty's poetry, (and had the distinct pleasure of meeting him at a poetry conference in Florida where he charmed everyone he spoke to). But when I heard about this memoir, I knew I had to read it. It concerns the two dogs he had for sixteen years and their deaths. But do not be misled that this is some ordinary dog book. Mark, who lost his partner to AIDs (and wrote a memoir about it) does not deal with dogs in an ...more
Kelley
Aug 29, 2008 Kelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, biography
So, I'm only on page 5 but this is beautiful. Mark Doty is a poet but he's written another memoir, Firebird and it's also beautiful. Already though, the dog-human relationship just reminds me of my mother and me - later in her life she was just all love.

Now far more into the book and it just gets more beautiful. Perhaps I can chalk it up to where I'm at in my life, emotionally, but I think this writing is empirically brilliant - Doty just has it down when it comes to naming things and describin
Mary
Sep 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love poetry and dogs
This was a gem of a book.

Two dogs, Beau and Arden, form the skeleton of this book, which covers loss, depression, 9/11, poetry, love, drag queens doing Judy Garland, antidepressants, and resilience. Doty never lets go of the dogs, though, and takes a close, thoughtful, and lovely look at the uniqueness of our relationships with our dogs.

It never gets schmaltzy, but Doty can write about emotions without apology or irony. And he pokes at a question that intrigues me: What is it about our dogs th
Marilyn Matheny
Exquisite. His powers of observation and ability to express them are stunning. He wrestles with grief in the way that one struck deeply by it must do. Why are we so unprepared for it? How does it change us? How do I go on?

He loses his lover after a long illness but is sustained by the presence and physicality of their 2 dogs. The death of these dogs as well leads him to dark psychological places. He is a poet and writes of the illness and the death of these two dogs as carefully and familiarly a
Mel
Dec 26, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
After reading an excerpt from the first chapter and the book's description I was so excited to read this book. I love dogs, I love memoirs, I loved the comparison the author made of telling people about your dreams to telling people about your pets.

I read the first 70 pages, a solid third, and I just couldn't stick with it. While I enjoyed the individual anecdotes, it was so meandering that I just couldn't get hooked. A quick story about his current dog followed by a tidbit about his childhood d
Allison
Aug 17, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
A friend told me to wait 3 months after the death of my beloved Chihuahua to read this book. I did and began the reading on the date of Corduroy's would have been 8th birthday.

What I enjoy about this book is that it is profoundly the experience of one man, and yet every person who loves a dog understand the depths of the grief and so it becomes so much more than the grief of one person. This memoir becomes a philosophical reflection on love and loss, the need for desire and despair and how we hu
Vid
Mar 10, 2009 Vid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so much more than just a reflection upon the meaning of dogs in our lives, which is a worthy subject in itself. As a poet, Doty is able to express what is most inexpressible about the nature of relationships between 2 beings - in this case man and dog - and he also delves into the deeper realms of what it means to be alive and connected to this world. I know I will return again to this book as there is so much more to absorb. Warning: keep a box of kleenex handy. Doty's willingness ...more
Abby
Sep 20, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful memoirs I've ever read. Doty, a wonderful poet, clearly knows his way with words as he navigates grief, death, depression, the afterlife, language, and the illumination that comes from sharing one's life with dogs. Few books have intensified my desire for a dog as much as this one. Doty accomplishes it all without sappiness or excessive eloquence. He writes simply and beautifully and honestly. What more could one ask from a memoir?
Elizabeth☮
Jan 20, 2009 Elizabeth☮ rated it it was amazing
i truly was touched by this book. doty has beautiful passages not only about the beauty of a dog's simplicity, but about the ache of losing a long loved companion. there are so many great quotes from the book that i found myself dog-earing pages to go back and underline the words. i cried more than once and doty's words made me appreciate and look at my six furry companions in a new light. excellent.
Robin Martin
Dec 07, 2012 Robin Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book and Mark Doty is a talented writer. It is simply a testimony to the importance of dogs in the world. My friend gave me this book after my canine companion died and told me I'd cry and cry when I read it, so I put it off- for 2 years! This is a lovely memoir. It is not sentimental. And only sad at all because it is so touching and truthful.
Meagen
Sep 13, 2007 Meagen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love to laugh and cry
this book should only be read by those dog owners who love to cry as much as they love to laugh. it's really well written; even though i might have had to put it down for days at a time (because of the sadness) i could not just not finish it. it's reminded me to enjoy tessy as much as possible NOW, since the time will pass more quickly than humanly imaginable.
Kaia Gondron
Apr 06, 2011 Kaia Gondron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Doty, Mark: Dog Years”
HarperCollins Publishing, March 2007

I am one to favor stories about animals. I have always been an avid animal lover, and I enjoy reading stories about things that I can associate myself with. Stories about pets are definitely stories that I can easily lose myself in and, for a reader, that is an amazing feeling.

Mark Doty’s Dog Years immediately delves directly into the topic of his novel: dogs. Any pet owner that reads this book will be smiling and nodding their head dur
Carol Stanley-Snow
I was moved to tears and smiles. Yes, all at once. I am a pet sitter and have a soft spot for dog books.

This is far more than a dog book!!! A memoir that is far beyond any pre-conceived ideas about memoirs. It's a story of life. Good, bad and beyond heartfelt.

My heart broke a few times and was filled with such love other times.

Mr Doty has a talent well beyond good writing. I thank him for this look into his life.
Baxter Trautman
Apr 25, 2015 Baxter Trautman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, gay, memoir
Needless to say, after having so recently lost my own two dogs I cried a lot through this. He has an eloquent way of writing about loss (of more than just his beloved dogs) without any of the sentimentality we both dislike.
Kasey Jueds
Sep 22, 2009 Kasey Jueds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I love all Mark Doty's books--both memoirs and poetry--and this, along with Heaven's Coast, is one of my favorites. He's intensely aware of the beauty and fragility of the world and writes about both so movingly...
Gorgeous & heart-wretching, as usual 50 31 Jul 18, 2016 08:20PM
Book Broads: Tenth Book 1 1 Oct 09, 2014 08:45PM
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Pack of Two: The Intricate Bond Between People and Dogs
  • From Baghdad to America: Life Lessons from a Dog Named Lava
  • Lost and Found: Dogs, Cats, and Everyday Heroes at a Country Animal Shelter
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • A Rare Breed of Love: The True Story of Baby and the Mission She Inspired to Help Dogs Everywhere
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
  • Woman's Best Friend: Women Writers on the Dogs in Their Lives
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Bones Would Rain from the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs
  • Puppy Chow is Better Than Prozac: The True Story of a Man and the Dog Who Saved His Life
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • A Three Dog Life
  • Katie Up and Down the Hall: The True Story of How One Dog Turned Five Neighbors into a Family
  • Dog Man: An Uncommon Life on a Faraway Mountain
  • Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had
Mark Doty is the author of six books of poems and two memoirs, Heaven's Coast and Firebird. A Guggenheim, Ingram-Merrill, and Whiting Fellow, he has also received the National Book Critics Circle Award and the PEN/Martha Albrand Prize for Nonfiction. He teaches at the University of Houston, and divides his time between Houston and Provincetown, Massachusetts.
More about Mark Doty...

“It's freeing, to think that there's always an aspect of us outside the grasp of speech, the common stuff of language.” 12 likes
“...in the face of all dangers, in what may seem a godless region, we move forward through the agencies of love and art.” 7 likes