Start by marking “Charles Dickens and Friends” as Want to Read:
Charles Dickens and Friends

Charles Dickens and Friends

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
With trademark liveliness and wit, the creator of BRAVO, MR. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE! moves into Victorian territory-presenting five retellings of classic Dickens that are sure to lure the most reluctant reader.

What the Dickens? GREAT EXPECTATIONS, OLIVER TWIST, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, DAVID COPPERFIELD, and A TALE OF TWO CITIES - five literary classics take on a new life in these
Published (first published October 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Charles Dickens and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charles Dickens and Friends

Katelyn Mendoza-Weiss
This book, is a re-telling of some classics such as "Oliver Twist" and "A Christmas Carol". However, these stories stood pretty tru to their orginal stories. When I took this book off the shelf I did not expect it to be considered a graphic novel. The illustrations on the front cover did not look like what I thought most graphic novels would contain. It looked more like a regular picture book to me. Of course when I opened the book up, it did not have a typical comic strip structure to it. Altho ...more
Crys (The Hodgenator)
This children's book of Dickens tales makes the writer approachable for a modern reader - aka our students.

Many of our students find Dickens tough to get through because of the complexity of his style. The is a great way to introduce Dickens and move beyond plot so students can dig into his words, his style, his message.

Stories included: Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities
Heather
May 27, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
My kids loved this book. They looked at it over and over and one of my sons read most of it himself before I got around to reading it out-loud. For obvious space reasons the books are very, very condensed but you still get a good feel for the plot and the main characters.

I felt like the little cartoon blurbs said by the characters were not useful in this book. Most of the time they were confusing and didn't add anything. I also don't really care for the artwork although my boys think it's great
Jenna Mills
Sep 26, 2015 Jenna Mills rated it liked it
I love Dickens and obviously making his stories more accessible for children can only be a good thing, but I think that, aside from 'A Christmas Carol' these would all be pretty tricky for kids to follow. In such a condensed form, with the beauty of language and style lacking, the plot twists often seem completely ludicrous as there is nothing to pull them together.
Lacy
Mar 12, 2010 Lacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Another great way to introduce children to the classics. Includes Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, and A Tale of Two Cities.
Huda
Apr 17, 2009 Huda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Huda by: بركات كتابنا
Shelves: en-pic-books
I really liked the idea of rewriting it in a comic book. Looking forward to read Shakespears' plays as well (;
Yunisa K.D.
Jan 04, 2010 Yunisa K.D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, english
I read other edition retold by Brenda Ralph Lewis
Nojood Alsudairi
Aug 12, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great introduction to Dickens.
Bengy Speer
Bengy Speer marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Stephen Morris
Stephen Morris marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Mr McEvoy
Mr McEvoy rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Jo McKenna-Aspell
Jo McKenna-Aspell rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Mathew
Mathew marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Cori
Cori rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Hector
Hector marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Pauline
Pauline rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Emily Powell
Emily Powell marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Phillip Sawyer
Phillip Sawyer rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Rodolphe Dubois
Rodolphe Dubois marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Kaui
Kaui marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Edie
Edie marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Helen
Helen added it
Feb 28, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marcia Williams began to develop her distinctive comic-book style at an early age: "When I was about ten and wrote home to my family from boarding school," she says, "I never wrote normal letters. I tried to tell my family about what I was doing in a way that was more fun. Also, my parents didn't let me read comic books, so I decided to create my own."

This former nursery school teacher blends her
More about Marcia Williams...