Start by marking “Knowledge of God (Great Debates in Philosophy) (Great Debates in Philosophy)” as Want to Read:
Knowledge of God (Great Debates in Philosophy) (Great Debates in Philosophy)

Knowledge of God (Great Debates in Philosophy) (Great Debates in Philosophy)

Is belief in God epistemically justified? That's the question at the heart of this volume in the "Great Debates in Philosophy" series, with Alvin Plantinga and Michael Tooley each addressing this fundamental question with distinctive arguments from opposing perspectives.The first half of the book contains each philosopher's explanation of his particular view; the second ha ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by WileyBlackwell (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Knowledge of God (Great Debates in Philosophy), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knowledge of God (Great Debates in Philosophy)

Jacob Aitken
And so begins Plantinga's project. Plantinga evaluates the issue of whether we are rationally *justified* in believing in God. In doing so, he considers the natural theologian's arsenal, the atheologian's response, and whether belief in God can be salvaged from the analogy of other minds.

Natural Theology

In considering the Cosmological, Ontological, and Teleological arguments, Plantinga points out that most criticisms of these arguments do not obtain, but still, at the end of the day, the natura
John Doe
May 14, 2013 John Doe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

When you feel pain, you say "Ouch!" From this, it is rational for me to believe that you are in pain but I don't experience your pain myself. In fact, it is possible to doubt that you experience pain when you say, "Ouch!" Maybe you're faking being in pain. In fact, I don't KNOW if you really feel anything at all.

I KNOW that I do because I feel my own pain. But I can be skeptical about other minds. While this is true, we say it is rational to believe other minds CAN exist. And, we often believe
Steven Dunn
Jul 06, 2013 Steven Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Though this was before Plantinga's reevaluation of natural theology, the book has interesting merit throughout defense (though he rejects it) of the Ontological Argument from certain critics. I found his critique of Ayer to be quite interesting, and his critique of Aquinas to be quite poor.
Jacob O'connor
My 6yo niece visited last weekend. She read a children's book to me. She did a great job, but every once in a while she got stuck on a word. She was mentally exhausted by the end.

Later that night, I opened God and Other Minds. I struggled with the concepts, and when I put it down I was exhausted. Wish I could encourage my niece that it gets easier. Sigh.

This was my least favorite Plantinga book. It has three parts. In the first he evaluates classical arguments for God's existence, and he finds
Nov 02, 2011 Rachael rated it really liked it
In this debate Plantinga, a Christian philosopher, and Tooley, an atheist philosopher debated about the rationality of belief in God. Plantinga presented his usual Evolutionary Argument Against Naturalism as well as some extra material involving the nature of consciousness. Tooley analyzed some conceptual atheological arugments and focused his attention on an evidential argument against evil using some sophisticated inductive probabilitistic calculations. I think they both did a sufficient job o ...more
The real force of Plantinga's thesis does not hit home until the final few pages - the rest of the book is just for "setting up the punch line", which is, to wit, if one has enough faith to believe in other minds and an external world, then one has more than enough faith to believe in a transcendent or universal mind. My take-away from this book: "If naive realism is metaphysical baking powder, then atheism is just half-baked solipsism." "God and Other Minds" represents the first truly novel and ...more
Joel McDaniel
Mar 29, 2007 Joel McDaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christian thinkers
Shelves: owned, philosophy
This is one of Plantinga's first books. It is foundational to his entire system of epistemology and is a must read for any christian philosopher. He is a genius, pure and simple.

In the book he draws an analogous relationship between the argument for the existence of God and the arguments for the existence of other minds. He shows that both fail at the same points, but that most people take the existence to be absolutely warranted, while others doubt the existence of God when given the same argum
Apr 13, 2012 Garren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not was I expecting. Plantinga doesn't actually offer evidence or rational justification for theism. Instead, he evaluates both theistic and atheistic arguments as inconclusive. In the agnostic vacuum that remains, he brings up the problem of other minds — that we can't really be sure other people exist — and claims God belief can have at least this status for those who feel strongly that God exists.
Jun 20, 2008 Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alvin Plantinga has revolutionized analytical philosophy by making belief in God a reasonable position again in that sphere. This book lays out the cores of his arguments and is much referenced, both by supports and those who attempt to refute his positions.
A much more accessible introduction to Plantiga's thought is The Analytic Theist: An Alvin Plantinga Reader edited by James Sennett.
Feb 05, 2014 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some might want to try "God, Freedom and Evil", the more layman-oriented analogue to this one. But this one's damned good.
Kevin rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Donald rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2008
Ali baba
Ali baba rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
James rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Hrvoje Šijak
Hrvoje Šijak rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Błażej Gębura
Błażej Gębura rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Mark Neeley
Mark Neeley rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2010
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
David rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Evan rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Moises Estrada
Moises Estrada rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Si Lee
Si Lee rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013
Joel rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Brandon Meeks
Brandon Meeks rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Timothy Causbrook
Timothy Causbrook rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Ben Nasmith
Ben Nasmith rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Rich rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Patrick Andersen
Patrick Andersen rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology
  • Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
  • The Existence of God
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • Van Til's Apologetic, Readings and Analysis
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • Come Let Us Reason: New Essays in Christian Apologetics
  • Epistemology: Becoming Intellectually Virtuous
  • God and Philosophy
  • To Everyone an Answer: A Case for the Christian Worldview: Essays in Honor of Norman L. Geisler
  • Atheism: A Philosophical Justification
  • An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion
  • God and the Philosophers: The Reconciliation of Faith and Reason
  • Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction
  • Truth Is Stranger Than It Used to Be: Biblical Faith in a Postmodern Age
  • Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge
  • Socrates Meets Jesus: History's Greatest Questioner Confronts the Claims of Christ
  • The Mark of the Christian
He is an American analytic philosopher, the John A. O'Brien Professor of Philosophy Emeritus at the University of Notre Dame and the inaugural holder of the Jellema Chair in Philosophy at Calvin College.

Plantinga is widely known for his work in philosophy of religion, epistemology, metaphysics and Christian apologetics.

He has delivered the Gifford Lectures three times and was described by TIME mag
More about Alvin Plantinga...