Start by marking “Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody

Goodnight Goon: a Petrifying Parody

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,056 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
Goodnight monsters everywhere, in this parody romp with its own special twist! ?Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon.?

It?s bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all co
Published August 14th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Goon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight Goon

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
32nd out of 348 books — 359 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
209th out of 1,910 books — 1,246 voters

More lists with this book...

Crystal Marcos
Oct 22, 2010 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very clever fun retelling of Goodnight Moon. I bought the book for my daughter in anticipating trying to battle scary monsters before they became scary. I love the artwork in this book. The cover is quite inviting. It is a great read-aloud book. I read it to my daughter who is 16 months and she sat through the whole book. She didn't mind the monsters one bit. She enjoyed a page were a big werewolf says "Boo". The book tells a story of a little werewolf settling in for the ni ...more
Ruth
Nov 05, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
In a cold gray tomb
And a picture of –
Martians taking over the moon

So begins this delightfully creepy parody of the bedtime classic, Goodnight Moon. Instead of Goodnight Moon’s bunny, Goodnight Goon features a young werewolf trying to go to sleep. The little werewolf says goodnight to many familiar Halloween sights such as mummies, bats and witches' hats, all in the familiar rhyming cadence of Goodnight Moon.

The artwork shows looks of spooky (but not too sp
Tucker
Mar 28, 2009 Tucker rated it liked it
I wasn't pumped to get this silly parody of Goodnight Moon, and figured Katelynn (12 months at the time) wouldn't get it anyway until she was like 6. However, it turns out to be hands down her favorite book (she's currently 15 months). When asked to get a book, she'll return with this the majority of the time. She busts out laughing everytime the wareworlf kid demands that the goon get under his bed. I'm so confused. Oh well.
Miriam
Oct 25, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, holidays
A cute little read or gift for Halloween, but lacking the innocent charm of the original or the dork appeal of Goodnight Dune.
David
May 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodnight Goon (A Petrifying Parody) by Michael Rex is a creepy parody of the classic Good Night Moon. With a story suited for either a Monster or Halloween theme, Good Night Goon focuses on a creepy little monster's bedroom tomb, where litle monster is just getting settled for bed, when a mischevious goon comes in, ready to keep everyone up all night.

The text is funny and creepy starting with a listing of all the elements in the room, including a gravestone, a black lagoon, pictures of Martians
Josiah
Sep 24, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
This book treads a thin line, poking gentle fun at a classic while trying not to be so severe as to turn off readers who have loved Margaret Wise Brown's original. I think that author Michael Rex has managed this balancing act quite well, and I found the text to be solidly humorous and fun. The mention on the book jacket of Michael Rex always having been a fan of "Goodnight Moon" helps his cause significantly, I think.
I would give one and a half stars to this book.
Rachel
Feb 17, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it
very clever parody of goodnight moon. sure to be a hit with fans of the original book, especially parents who have been asked to read "goodnight moon" about 56 too many times. i'm not a big fan of the style of illustration; although it was very colorful, with lots of things for kids to look at and explore on each page, it was a bit too cartoony for my tastes. however, the writing was excellent, and i loved the ending "goodnight monsters everywhere."

Prashant
Apr 06, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

A parody of [Book: Goodnight Moon] when a kid says goodnight to all the terrifying creatures he can imagine.

Don't know if this can be read as a children's bedtime story but if you have a mischievous, hard-ass punk kid at home, this is sure going to be his/her favorite!

Goodnight Monsters Everywhere!
Michelle McBeth
Aug 02, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was ok
When I saw the title of this book, I was hopeful for something funny and clever. I felt terribly let down. The first half of the book was slightly clever in that each thing pointed out was somewhere in the boy's room and you could flip back and find those items. But then the monster comes in the window and starts destroying everything in sight. What, I wonder was the point of that?
The illustrations are good and rich, but the story line leaves much to be desired. I felt more confused than intrig
Megan
Apr 03, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
This is a fun parody of Goodnight Moon. I want to use this and pair it with Goodnight Moon and Madeline, paired with its parody Frankenstein next Halloween. It would also be fun to introduce parody using Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Goon, and the new parody Goodnight IPad. What a fun lesson that would be!!
Lisa Vegan
Sep 21, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Crystal Marcos
I’ve never been a huge fan of Goodnight Moon, although I like it well enough. I think I like this parody of it a bit more. Love the tummies. Love the ending; it’s very smart. 3 stars ...more
Emily Sirota
This twist of the original book Goodnight Moon, is pretty funny and great around the Halloween holiday. It is a very simple read with few words per page but lots of creative illustrations, that will keep the kids wanting to turn pages. This is a super cute twist to Goodnight Moon called Goodnight Goon, so If you enjoyed Goodnight Moon I would would go purchase this book.

Super cute book with lots of illustrations, still not as good as the first one but it is still super cute and creative with all
Jeffrey
Sep 26, 2009 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Parents to read to the kids on Halloween
This take off on the popular Good night Moon children's tale was very inventive and the illustrations were fun, but my 6 year old's didn't get the whole plot and thought it was just okay. Its a little complicated for the young set, and who else is going to read it.
Eva
Oct 24, 2015 Eva rated it it was amazing
The idea of turning every kid’s beloved classic Goodnight Moon into Halloween tale is brilliant. My kids know by heart the words of Goodnight Moon and it adds a certain level of excitement. “In the cold gray tomb / There was a gravestone / And a black lagoon / And a picture of… Martians taking over the moon / And there were three little mummies rubbing their tummies…. “ I don’t know about you but I’m impressed with all the neat and awesome rhyming. Nothing feels forced and out of tune. We like t ...more
Joanna
Sep 22, 2008 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Perfect for the household that loves Halloween and has had quite enough of Goodnight Moon, thank you very much. The cadence and concepts of Goodnight Moon are mimicked delightfully.
Sandy
Jul 11, 2014 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, childrens
Anyone with children knows some of the words to Goodnight Moon, “Good night, room. Good night, moon. Good night, cow jumping over the moon," but did you know there is a different version of this book for children who like monsters? It’s not scary and it’s not humorous but its right down the middle with goons, skulls, werewolves and skeletons inside a castle.

“In the cold gray tomb
And a picture of—
Martians taking over the moon.”

And then the story takes off
Cathy
Jun 30, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it
Goodnight monsters everywhere, in this parody romp with its own special twist! Goodnight tomb. Goodnight goon. Goodnight Martians taking over the moon.

It's bedtime in the cold gray tomb with a black lagoon, and two slimy claws, and a couple of jaws, and a skull and a shoe and a pot full of goo. But as a little werewolf settles down, in comes the Goon determined at all costs to run amok and not let any monster have his rest.

Total kids book with all things icky and scary to look at - still a huge
Becky
Oct 16, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it
Rex, Michael. Goodnight Goon.

Just in time for Halloween comes a monster-filled parody of a children's classic, Goodnight Moon. Goodnight Goon has it all--Martians, mummies, bats, werewolves, and much, much more. This book will make a great read aloud treat in October. And would definitely be a fun addition to school and classroom libraries everywhere. (This may just inspire a few more parodies of Goodnight Moon.)

In the cold gray tomb
And a picture of--
Marti
V.R.
Dec 08, 2008 V.R. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody who is even remotely burned out on the original.
Genius.
Stephanie
Since Caleb and I are such big fans of Goodnight Moon, my mom was super excited when she saw this in the store and she brought it right over. This is a really good parody! It's fun, funny, and clever. It has very similar rhythm, rhymes, and style as the original too. Since I love all things fall and Halloween, this will definitely be read quite a bit throughout the season since it features lots of monsters and ghouls and has awesome illustrations. Great book!
Carrie
Feb 01, 2016 Carrie rated it it was amazing
"In a cold gray tomb
And a picture of –
Martians taking over the moon"

Goodnight Moon is my favorite bedtime book to read to my daughters. And Michael Rex figured out a way to make it more awesome! (Not to mention a little more grown up for my 6 year olds that think they are too big for Goodnight Moon.)
Sherry Thornberry
Tanya
Oct 29, 2014 Tanya rated it really liked it
This is a super cute Halloween parody on Goodnight Moon, not too scary for the youngest listeners and still plenty of pictures. Most kids are very familiar with Goodnight Moon, and this author kept the rhythm the same. It is a great read for the Halloween season, even better read in the same night as Goodnight Moon to compare and contrast.
Kandice Buck
Sep 16, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
This is a funny book that is a parody of Goodnight Moon.It will be the book to read during Halloween time. It would also be a good book to teach rhyming words. There are many activities that could be done with this book. Children could learn about rhyming or descriptive words while enjoying the book and assignment at the same time.
Alison Durbin
Apr 01, 2015 Alison Durbin rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I love how this is a spookier version of the classic, "Goodnight Moon". As a child, this is a book that I probably would have gravitated to more so than the original. I think modern kids will also enjoy this book and its wonderful illustrations. This would be a good book to share during a Halloween unit.
Nolan Johnson
Nov 20, 2014 Nolan Johnson rated it really liked it
A. This was a good book. It was a parody of "Goodnight Moon". It was about this monster who was going to sleep in his dungeon. He says goodnight to all of the scary things in his dungeon before he goes to sleep.

B. The main theme of this book is a night routine.

C. I would use this book to teach rhyming words.
Liz
May 01, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Okay... another book read on We Give Books.org, though it's in my stack at school. I have to say I never was a GOODNIGHT MOON fan. Maybe it's because I had to read it so many times when my kids were little??? I actually like it more now; the break has been good. I've seen this monster parody all over the place, and actually have a few copies. Thought maybe I could use it to teach parody. (I am also looking to read "Where the Meek Things Are," another obvious parody.

I actually enjoyed this book.
Aubrey Thorne
Nov 02, 2014 Aubrey Thorne rated it liked it
Shelves: slib-520
Genre: board book

Annotation: It's time for bed, but one little goon still isn't ready for sleep! With lively rhymes and cheeky art that'll get readers howling, this hilarious take on the beloved classic will have a whole new audience saying, "Goodnight monsters everywhere!"

Themes: parody, monsters, scary things, bedtime stories, Ghosts, Monsters, Vampires, Witches, Sleep, Dreams

Ways to Use: compare to Goodnight Moon, read aloud on Halloween, retelling
Erin A.
Jun 02, 2014 Erin A. rated it really liked it
Such a fun take on Goodnight Moon!! We love this book at our house and it is falling apart we read it so much! The monsters are funny and not scary which definitely helps since it is a bedtime story. A very fun read with great illustrations!
Debra
Jan 19, 2016 Debra rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
A cute parody of Goodnight Moon. Maybe a little scary for little folks, but the monsters are drawn in a cute way. I found it fun to keep flipping back to the original scene to find the objects that are featured in the story line.
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Big Pumpkin
  • Monster Needs a Costume
  • Halloween Night
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Dear Vampa