Start by marking “The Lost Girls” as Want to Read:
The Lost Girls

The Lost Girls

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Exploring the contradictory human desire for freedom and flight, and safety and security, a novel drawing on the themes of Peter Pan explores the experiences of a modern-day Wendy and five generations of daughters--the lost girls..
Published December 30th 2003 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Girls

Peter Pan by J.M. BarriePeter and the Starcatchers by Dave BarryPeter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave BarryPeter and the Secret of Rundoon by Dave BarryTiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Peter Pan
33rd out of 60 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin
Everyone who has an idea about writing a sequel to Peter Pan, listen up:

STOP IT.

Right now.

Put down the pen, and step away from the notebook.

You can't. Know why? Peter Pan was an unlikeable character, and I can say that b/c I love JM Barrie's original work.

But you, yes you, can't improve on it. All you can do is drag it down.
This book is no exception. Apparently, Wendy's granddaughter is an unlikable character as well. And rather than rejoice in the Neverland she's found, she whines, LORD does
Ashley Howard
In 'The Lost Girls' tells the story of five generations of Darling women: Wendy (the original), Jane, Margaret, Wendy and Berry.
Every Darling woman is burdened by the famous story and eventually gets to meet the alluring Peter. All women fall in love with the boy, which leads to feeling of neglect and frustration as they inevitably... grow up.

I've always loved Peter Pan and the story of Neverland. I was excited to read a tale with more realistic views on the Lost Boys, Wendy Darling and the ble
Savannah
Maybe it was too subtle for some readers? There were moments that shone with brilliance. You had to give it a careful read. Then it became not just about men and women but about mothers and daughters, and how "good" and "evil" and even genetic predisposition can be overruled. I felt like the book in a lot of ways was really about Berry and how she overrode Hook's "plans" as best as she could just by being who she truly was--and how her mother, supposedly genetically "good" turned out self-absorb ...more
Beth
Shazza Maddog
This is Ms. Fox's third novel and by the commentary on the back, I figured on something comedic and twistedly funny. Er...no. Well, if it was twistedly funny, I didn't find it.

The story revolves around Wendy Darling, the great-granddaughter of the original Wendy Darling - and Current-Wendy's relationships with her daughter, Berry, her husband, Freeman, her mother, Margaret, her great-grandmother, Nana-Wendy, her father, Daddy and of course, Peter Pan.

Okay, so Peter doesn't make too much of an a
Katie
Wasn't really a fan of this. I debated giving it 2 stars, but I think the writing was okay. It just wasn't for me. I guess I was expecting something a little different. Maybe even just more focus on the time in Neverland? And every so often, the author threw in a "big word" that took me out of the story. They felt out of place.

And I guess it was one of those books that felt more like telling than showing. I don't feel like I really got to know the characters and I don't understand why Pan was su
Adrienne Kiser
In spite of the fact that this book deserves an award for "jacket description with misleading and incredibly tenuous link to actual plot", I really thought it was a well-written and engrossing piece of fiction. I'm a card-carrying member of the "I've got mommy issues" club, and anyone in my shoes (they're right over there by the door, feel free to try them on or take them for a spin around the block) will likely be attracted to this story as well.

Many of the other reviews seem to take the stance
Cheryl
Loved the concept, but was ultimately disappointed by this book. Wendy Darling, the great-grandaughter of the original Wendy, has her own adventures with Peter Pan, as have all the Darling women just before they reach puberty. Are they all suffering from the same delusion or do they really go off to Neverland? The chain is broken when Wendy's daughter Berry, named after of course J.M. Barrie, fails to fly. She hovers for a just a minute, but comes crashing down to earth. Barrie has her own menta ...more
Michelle
An interesting off-shoot from the Peter Pan story...The writing style was vivid and beautiful, the story line a bit hard to believe. I found Fox to be writing of the inner workings of an artist. Artists must go from one world to another when working their magic. Reality becomes fuzzy, when you allow your imagination to fly. Wendy ultimately discovers there may just be 3 worlds: one with fantasy, one with reality and one somewhere in between where artist people can reside in peace.
A very quirky look at how the Darling women feel about Peter Pan. Every girl in the family gets a visit from him at a certain time in their lives, and each of them comes back reeling from the trip. One of the women becomes obssessed with Peter and how she could have held on to him longer. Honestly, it was a while ago that I read it, but I do remember enjoying it a lot. The only flaw I can recall is that I couldn't figure out why they all worshipped Peter when he was such a cad.
Elvia
I never read the original Barrie book but I like this book because the original story assumes that Wendy is a mother figure and the female characters are stoic, responsible and maternal. This book questions this role and its affect on women in a realistic sense. I like the fact that it blends psychological issues with a masculine oriented fairy tale. I have read some reviews where they didn't like the book but I find the book very likable when viewed by the right lens.
Tracey
I am disappointed by this book, the premise about generations of Darling women who all fly off to neverland and love Peter Pan for a brief moment, fell into a dark and manic sort of psychological study. I so wanted to have the story engage me but I had to force myself to go on, unable to simply abandon it! This 271 page book seemed like its pages were lead, I perseverd and got through it. This fanatsy had so much more potential!
Amy Gourley
I didn't care that much for this retelling of Peter Pan. Wendy (the orginal Wendy's great granddaughter) is an unlikeable character. All the Darling women have issues and they all seem to relate to their journeys to Neverland and Peter Pan. And there was the whole missing grandmother thing and nobody really asked about it-reminded me of LOST in this sense. I didn't get the ending either.
Anna
I almost put this down when I realized it was a take on the Peter Pan story, but I liked it so much that I had to go on. I thought it was very cleverly done, and GoodReads synopsis will give you a hint as to whether you will like it or not. It was very dark in places, but humorous in others. I will definitely try her other novel My Sister From the Black Lagoon.
Dylan
I love new takes on classic tales, so when a friend told me about this book, I thought it was going to be right up my alley. However, I found the characters too whiny and dramatic. I was most excited over finding out what happened to Jane, but even that discovery felt rushed and a bit of a letdown. Just wasn’t my cup of tea.
Kellie
Mar 18, 2013 Kellie marked it as didnt-finish
I really wanted to read this. I was looking forward to enjoying it and loving it, but alas, that did not happen.

I love love love new takes and twists on fairy tales, and Peter Pan is one of my favorites. However, this just dragged for me, and the jumps from past to present was confusing. I chose to give up.
Rachel Grey
A dazzling new take on the tales of Wendy Darling. This book combines fairy tale magic with the rigours of womanhood to a dazzling end. A speculation on the chasm between mothers and daughters and the possiblity of complete mental breakdown inherent to adolescence, this novel is thoughtful, quirky, and wise.
Hannah
3.5 .. This was quite an interesting read.
Stephanie James
What made this book for me were the scenes involving Peter. Whether it be the first meetings or the adventures in Neverland, the way it was written made me feel almost painfully nostalgic. It was bizarre, but obviously the Peter Pan figure means more to me than I initially thought.
Erin
Aug 11, 2011 Erin added it
I really wanted to like this book, but it could never figure out what it was long enough for me to get to know it. Had potential, but was too scattered. Might pick up another of Fox's novels, because she has some moments of beauty but not high on my priority list.
Heather Reynolds
I really really really wanted to like this book because I thought the premise was really cool. Again the authors writing style is confusing. I just don't understand where she is going half the time. Her characters are not well developed. Such a shame.
Mimi
Didn't like this one. No real story line or character development. This is actually one of the few books that I didn't finish reading. The author seemed to focus more on the words used to tell the story instead of the story itself.
Becky
This has been on my book shelf for a long time....I guess it should have stayed there.....the story never seemed tie together & it felt very confusing to me.....I would give it 1.5 stars if I could...
Tracy
I bought this book on the discount shelf and I loved it! Every woman with a daughter should read this book. Its amazing how we live through each other.
Leah Kenworthy
We know about Peter Pan, but what happened to Wendy Darling when she went home? What about her daughter and granddaughter? Did they meet their own Peter?
Erin
This book is interesting to say the least. Lots of different ways you could argue this book and I would be interested to know if anyone else has read it.
Michelle
I can't stand self-help-for-the-author dressed up as fiction. I get it. Men have a Pan complex and it's ok that you should too.
Lori
Feb 03, 2011 Lori added it
The premise was great, but the book didn't measure up to it.
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Hook & Jill (Hook and Jill Saga, #1)
  • Always Neverland
  • Another Pan (The Marlowe School, #2)
  • Midnight in Never Land
  • An Awfully Big Adventure
  • Wendy
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Dreams of the Compass Rose
  • Escape from the Carnivale (Never Land Books, #1)
  • Forever Neverland
  • Her
  • Never After
  • Killer Cruise
  • Stand By Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Chore Whore: Adventures of a Celebrity Personal Assistant
  • Hooked
  • Tigerheart
  • Crybaby Ranch
My Sister from the Black Lagoon: A Novel of My Life Sexy Hieroglyphics Sprialbound D Sweeping Beauty; Or, Notes On Cinderella (Pictograms) Changing Lives Through Metacognitive Relationships: LD/ADHD and College Success

“What I could tell the boy was, the moment we are born appears to be the very same moment we forget we are loved. Now isn't this awkward? Shouldn't the two things dovetail, love and memory? Shouldn't a feeling that powerful be carved on a tree so no one can ignore its message? To come so far to be in this world only to forget something all-important - what kind of a journey is that? I'll bet that 90 percent of the love that surrounds us is dismissed or discounted - the cup of tea a friend makes, the letter from a faraway auntie. The fact that no one feels loved enough merely proves my point.” 3 likes