Start by marking “What Rhymes with Bastard?” as Want to Read:
What Rhymes with Bastard?

What Rhymes with Bastard?

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A hilariously candid story of a dysfunctional and disintegrating relationship, What Rhymes with Bastard? follows Linda Robertson as she moves from London to San Francisco, where she gets cheated on, gets dumped, loses her job, and forms a cabaret band.

Linda’s story begins in London. When her beloved Jack gets locked up in a mental hospital after trying to sail down the Tha
Published October 1st 2008 by MacAdam/Cage (first published January 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Rhymes with Bastard?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Rhymes with Bastard?

David Manning
Linda Robertson has a highly developed talent for sifting through the messy, sometimes banal stuff of relationships and pointing out the absurd. This story, as other commenters have noted, can be awfully depressing, but the hilarity and wit that Robertson bring to bear in her accounting of life's disappointments and triumphs act as consistent foils to despair. Despite the main plot line and the chaos and wicked humor on display here, the story that should emerge to anyone with an ounce of sensib ...more
Felicity
Linda Robertson is from Scotland. After five or so years of helping her addictive personality boyfriend, "Jack" (drugs, alcohol, drugs, and more drugs), out of all sorts of scrapes, Linda decides to marry him & move with him to San Francisco. Suffice to say, everything falls apart rather rapidly after that. Why she married such a loser is beyond me, but each to their own...

Anyway, it took me about three hours to romp through this book yesterday. What I liked about it, and what kept me entra
Heather Iveson
I usually read for enjoyment and relaxation and that is what I intended when I picked up this book. While I didn't especially find that it was interesting to read about relationships very different to those I usually find when I read. Not a book I loved... but it wasn't a waste of time either.
Susan
Only once in a while does something so gut-wrenchingly hilarious arrive on the scene, and when it does, I'm often first in line to read these types of books. Truthful to the point of pain, they're at times far more real than listening to someone speak about their experiences in person, as friends and family often gloss over the interesting or painful bits in favor of just telling a basic story or winning you to their side with only 1/2 the tale.

A good memoir is the opposite, and Linda Robertson
Monica
This is the story of a Scottish lass who moves to San Francisco with her insane, drug-abusing and alcoholic boyfriend (the "bastard" in the title), and who goes on to become Miss San Francisco Accordian 2004. Along the way, she deals with the aforementioned idiot boyfriend, who constantly badgers her for anal sex, as was as a plethora of roommates, and serious family issues. I must say I really enjoyed this book, and I think finished it in the course of two days.
Shawnaleahmatilla
A must read - After all, Linda was my housemate and she's one of the funniest writer's I know...I read this book as it was being conceived, chapter by chapter. I remember getting antsy...come on Linda, get a more on it...I must know what happens next. While the content has changed radically from that first rendition, this book is brilliant - it is both crass and tragically funny in that way that leaves me laughing out loud with a pang in my heart.
Mark
All right, I guess I got only one side of the story of this poor woman's relationship, but really her husband is such an a-hole. She shows unbelievable patience with this guy. Her parents are a nightmare too. Despite this, I liked the book a lot because the author is just charming. Her story proves that the old adage is true though, never marry the first person who has sex with you because that person will walk all over you.
Gail Guglielmino
This memoir details the author's San Francisco period with the world's worst boyfriend/husband. It seemed a bit over the top to me and I found it hard to believe. Maybe the story was a bit embellished? But interesting enough to read. Although it was supposed to be funny, I found it to be rather sad. A very interesting relationship with the author's mum, which was again more sad than comical.
Emma  Kaufmann
Very witty, horrendously warts and all memoir about a really really bad boyfriend the author lived with and who put her through hell. I think everyone can relate to having such a loser boyfriend when they are naive and young and think it is okay for guys to tell you you are fat/ugly/a bitch when really he is the one with issues.
Kristen
Nov 16, 2008 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sarah, Gina, Nancy, Mark
Recommended to Kristen by: Mark
Horrible boyfriend doesn't even scratch the surface. I also found this to be a story about a woman and her mother. The dynamic between Linda and her "Mum" is one that many women can relate to.

Linda's boyfriend is an "arse" and the fact that she stuck around long enough to get a book's worth of material is amazing.
Leslie Stern
This book is no more than daily journal entries on how rotten her husband is...and couldn't any woman write this? Yes...and better than Linda Roberston did. I found it tedious and poorly written. There is no plot and no description. This should have been on my "Must-Not Read" shelf.
Kristen
Funny, but I spent most of my time while reading thinking 'really, really, for serious.' Not that I always need to believe everything I read in a memoir, but I couldn't stand how long it took her to see the problems arising from addiction in her life.
Amanda
Absolutely amazing. I appreciated the translations from European English into "yank" English. The author (who actually went through all of this) is really good at making horrific situations into desperately hilarious ones.
Lindsey
I read a couple of chapters but it just didn't interest me. Memoirs aren't my favorite anyway, but I think I really don't care for dysfunctional relationships. It was supposed to be funny but I thought it was depressing.
Kim
Wow, someone wins the awards for "Lowest Self Esteem" and "Worst Husband"! It's a little like watching a car-wreck in slow motion. Nice that it's set in SF though, I always get a little kick out of that...
Ashley Hanson
This book was hysterically funny...and made me a little more confident that I am not the only woman in this world who sometimes makes HORRIBLE mistakes in love.
Anne
Poor Linda...she wanted a boyfriend so bad and ended up with a loser of a husband. He took drugs and wanted to sleep with other people. She hung in there...
Paula
Is there a shelf for books you thought you might like but reject when attempt to actually read? Just didn't appeal to me. Nice title though.
Annette
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would - and I want the author to come to all my parties. The songs she writes are hilarious.
Deirdre
It was fun to recognize so many characters - a super fast read, and a nice balance to the other choices I've recently made
Rachel
I enjoyed it, but not to the degree that I couldn't put it down. Read it when suffering from jet-lag in New York.
Stas
Jan 12, 2009 Stas marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I saw her read from it at a dublit reading recently. She played accordion and sang as well. She was pretty amusing.
Disa
An English gal moves to San Francisco and writes a funny, scathing, disgustingly vivid memoir. A fun read.
Jenny
Oct 21, 2008 Jenny rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Linda
My grad school friend wrote this book; she's witty, genuine, and knows how to tell a story.
Foreign
US: Khristina Wenzinger
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Melody Arceneaux
Melody Arceneaux marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
More about Linda Robertson...
Kwanzaa Fun Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3) Clinical Reasoning in Occupational Therapy: Controversies in Practice Vicious Circle What Rhymes with Bastard?. Linda Robertson