Start by marking “The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion” as Want to Read:
The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion

The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion

The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy & Religion provides a thorough discussion of the most widely practices belief systems of the East. Author Diane Morgan understands how to direct the materialistic, linear way of Western thinking toward a comprehension of the cyclical, metaphysical essence of Eastern philosophy. With an emphasis on the tenets and customs that Wester ...more
Published August 25th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion

John
Feb 28, 2013 John rated it really liked it
A great place to start...
Jared
Any book claiming to be the best guide in any philosophy or religion that is under 400 pages deserves immediate skepticism. The book isn't bad but it really doesn't strike me as being anything approaching 'The Best Guide to Eastern Philosophy and Religion'. The very title sets the bar too high for a person like me who has an insatiable appetite for knowledge.

Honestly, it is more or less just an introduction to from what the west regards as the eastern's foreign way of thinking. Personally, I go
Cole Blouin
Jul 09, 2013 Cole Blouin rated it really liked it
It was, for me, a very important book to read at a very decisive point in my life, and really helped me change for the better into the person I am today. The book itself has good points and bad points: it seems that, at times, it delves into the history of the religions rather than the religion itself. I was hoping, basically, for an introduction to each religion (or school of thought, rather, seems a more appropriate term) that deals more with the core ideas than where those ideas came from. Ho ...more
Claire S
Looks like this has all the failings one would expect from a survey book on such huge subjects. Even buying it was a failure of sorts, obviously, an attempt to easily consume such topics based on a huge miscalculation of scale.
What I had intended though was to move beyond profound ignorance to somewhat-less-profound ignorance.
So am currently seeing this as a placeholder till I graduate to better materials for my journey.
Vanessa
Jun 21, 2010 Vanessa rated it liked it
I was looking for a book that would explain each of the Eastern philosophies and it was between this and Eastern Philosophy for Dummies. I'm glad I chose this one. I was surprised at how easy of a read this was, I didn't find it to be a dry read like I was afraid it would be. She did a good job at showing the similarities and differences between the religions. I recommend this to anyone who wants to know a little about these religions without getting bogged down in the minute details.
Julianne Larsen
Jun 29, 2016 Julianne Larsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great introduction to the Eastern philosophy. I learned a lot, but it is only the beginning, I realize now.
Chase Parsley
Jun 08, 2013 Chase Parsley rated it really liked it
This is the best book about Far Eastern religions that I have ever come across. A wonderful gift for a person who does not understand much about this topic. Captivating.
Young-kyu Yoo
Young-kyu Yoo rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Ryan Bilodeau
Ryan Bilodeau rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Epiphany
Epiphany rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2012
Bryan Godbe
Bryan Godbe rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Daniel Azaryahu
Daniel Azaryahu rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2015
Jrxplor
Jrxplor rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2016
Jon Foley
Jon Foley rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Denny
Feb 27, 2014 Denny rated it really liked it
A very informative book on the history, practices and thought process of Eastern religions
M. Patrick
M. Patrick rated it liked it
May 31, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Ariana
Ariana rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Kait
Kait rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Melee Nie
Melee Nie rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2010
E.A. Barker
E.A. Barker rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Lindsay Anderson
Lindsay Anderson rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2008
Danine
Danine rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2007
Icebiermann
Sep 22, 2008 Icebiermann rated it it was amazing
A great contribution for the understanding of eastern philosophies
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
david kass
david kass rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Aaron Trinkner
Aaron Trinkner rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.
More about Diane Morgan...