Happy to Be Here

Happy to Be Here

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  426 ratings  ·  28 reviews
“Keillor’s best stuff is clean (in the sense that lines are clean), down to earth, exquisitely good-hearted, highly ludicrous, and as labored as nitrous oxide…. This book will either leave you dumbfounded or happyalmost deservedly happyto be anywhere” The New York Times Book Review “His humor is cerebral and complex, a blend of romance and nostalgia; it sparklingly paro...more
Published April 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Happy to Be Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy to Be Here

Barbara Rice
I so wanted to like all of this book, but some of it is self-indulgent and badly in need of a blue pencil. He does have a tendency to rattle on forever past the point where the point was made, and after a while it seems amateurish and high-schoolish. The concise bits were much better than the ones that seemed to go on and on and on. I think at this stage in his life Keillor was still rebelling against a lot of his early life and needed to shock people a little bit, and possibly he did here - but...more
May
Jun 13, 2011 May added it
Shelves: humor
This book came from a random box o'box. It took me a second to get use to the train of thought as I had no idea what to expect. After a while, I really appreciated it and laughed out loud so to speak.

I enjoyed the chapter on step-mothers and how they got a bad wrap. I liked the re-write of the stories of Snow, Cinderella and Gretal. It was reminiscent of Wicked, in many ways.

I also enjoyed the little story about middle men in the arts. Ask for $10,000 v. $100,000 seems so appropriate in light...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Seems as if somehow other readers want this to be, or thought it is, something other than what it is. It is not 'stories.' It is not a companion to Lake Wobegon or even to Prairie Home Companion.

It is a whole bunch of very funny essays. Most (all?) are parodies and it does help, somewhat, to recognize the assorted source materials. For example "Plainfolks" is inspired by the Foxfire 3 (Foxfire series. And if you've never read serial comic books or pulp fiction magazines you'll not fully apprecia...more
Marvin
Along with "The Book Of Guys" and "WLT", this is probably my favourite Keillor work. Essentially, this gathers up all the non-Wobegon material from the early part of his career -- and a lot of it is absolutely side-splitting.

"Happy to Be Here" consists entirely of unrelated short pieces, mostly originally written for The New Yorker. In them, Keillor deftly (but never snidely) parodies old radio serials, comic books, 70s self-help columns, small-town newspapers, government press releases, hard-b...more
Mel
I have had a tumultuous relationship with Keillor's writing. In short, I greatly enjoyed the novel Wobgeon Boy and I also enjoy his radio show, but I disliked "The Book of Guys" and, to a lesser extent,"Happy To Be Here. I think there's just something about his short stories that leaves me unsettled and doesn't offer enough substance/plot for my tastes.

The first section of the book kept me in mind of the way I felt reading the short stories in Salinger's Nine Stories. This is another author whos...more
John Hanscom
Maybe a little less. Think Lake Woebegone before there was a Lake Woebegone. A lot of cute stories, but not much more.
Liza May
My least favorite book by my most favorite author.
Donna
Perhaps I am guilty of comparing Keillor with Keillor. It's a high standard (but don't go thinking you're someone, because you're not, LOL). After having read the immortal Lake Wobegon Days, it was a tall order to come up with something comparable.

Happy to Be Here, in contrast, found my attention wandering. By the time it ended, I didn't really care what he had to say.

I was glad to see him standing tall again with Pontoon, which is funny as hell.
Adam Fleming
Of all the many Keillor books I've read this was my least favorite. Not that it's bad, because of course it isn't, it's just a collection of short stories and I probably should have been reading a novel, because that's what I like to read. Read several of the stories to my wife after kids were in bed and we laughed and laughed together, which made the whole thing worth it. Best when read out loud in bed.
I came to Garrison Keillor backwards. First I saw the movie, then I started listening to Prairie Home Companion, and now I've tried out one of his books. I liked it. Although, I think I struggled without his literal voice to hear the literary one (it's the that dry wit). I didn't love it, but I'm intrigued to move on to Lake Wobegon.
Daniel Currie
A collection of essays written for The New Yorker. As with all collections, it is hit and miss. I am a fan of the radio show so it is easy for me to hear him reading these stories with his voice. That helps, but I'd have to say this is a so-so collection. I do recommend the Snow White story. Pretty funny.
I just couldn't finish this book. It is written in stories and I have a hard time staying with it. I did find some of the material amusing, but some of it was not. I thoroughly enjoyed another book by this author so I will certainly read another one that a friend has lent to me.
Susan  Odetta
Garrison Keillor jusy makes me chuckle. And I needed a chuckle. Here's a gem: "I had hit bottom, the depths, the Zasu Pitts, the Rudy Vallee, the utter Ralph Nader of my existence."
Alyson
if you enjoy short stories, there's so nice ones in here. but i've found that short stories either leave me wanting more, or feeling like i've just wasted 20 minutes of my reading time.
Kelly
I liked the first part of this book (Woebegone-like character stories) far more than the rest of this, which dealt with baseball, political humor, and even some weird science fiction.
I didn't get the humor in this until we were at book club discussing it. It was ok, but I'm not sure I would read another Keillor book... well, maybe down the road sometime?
Sarah James
I didn't really finish reading and I never will. It was not my "style" of enjoyment. I didn't really get into the few stories I read and I don't think I will try any longer.
TaleofGenji
May 23, 2012 TaleofGenji marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Julie
if you love garrison keillor this is a great story of small town USA - it reminds me that we never really know people as well as we think we do
David Brawley
If you enjoy NPR's A Prairie Home Companion you'll enjoy this collection of short stories.
Jeanne
Another of Garrison's masterful portrayals of just folks you'd like to meet! Reread this one more than once!
Athena
Maybe I needed Garrison Keillor's voice to go along with these stories, but they were just kind of "meh"
Meggityb
This was Keillor's first book. His writing has improved since then.
Douglas
All chapters are funny, some are most hilarious.
Brian
Nov 10, 2008 Brian marked it as to-read
Happy to Be Here by Garrison Keillor (1982)
Bryan
I liked it, but not liked it liked it.
Diane
Somewhat funny, some boring and dumb
Wendy
Have first Edition of this book signed by the author.
  • Goodbye Soldier  (War Memoirs, #6)
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Dave Barry Is from Mars and Venus
  • Modern Manners: An Etiquette Book for Rude People
  • Abbey's Road
  • Letter from America, 1946-2004
  • Rumpole's Last Case
  • North of South: An African Journey
  • Under The Eye of the Clock
  • Paperweight
  • The Book of Heroic Failures: The Official Handbook of the Not Terribly Good Club of Great Britain
  • The Dog Said Bow-Wow
  • Writings from The New Yorker 1927-1976
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Oxford Classical Dictionary
  • Red Lobster, White Trash, & the Blue Lagoon: Joe Queenan's America
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
  • Embedded in America: The Onion Complete News Archives Volume 16
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker....more
More about Garrison Keillor...
Good Poems Lake Wobegon Days Good Poems for Hard Times Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon Lake Wobegon Summer, 1956

“God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny.” 125 likes