Start by marking “Ten Great Works of Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Ten Great Works of Philosophy

Ten Great Works of Philosophy

In its vast scope, this book presents the continuum of Western philosophy. Ranging from ancient Greece to nineteenth-century America, it traces the history of our civilization through the seminal works of its most influential thinkers. Each philosopher in this volume made intellectual history; each created a revolution in ideas; each reaffirmed man’s view of himself as a s ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Signet (first published December 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Great Works of Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Great Works of Philosophy

Mike
Mar 08, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was my text in Freshman Philosophy in college. It was so good it gave me the impetus to take two more courses in Philosophy when I didn't even have to.
Aaron
Jan 01, 2009 Aaron rated it it was ok
Massive writing (some 600 pages) for such a small, almost pocket-sized book. Wolf edits and compiles "Ten Great Works" from some of the big names in ancient, medieval, and modern philosophy. I only read the Hume section, and cannot comment on the rest of the book.

The type was small and lines were very close together, of course for maximum compactness. This made it hard to read (beyond the usual dense, technical writing you expect from works of philosophy ). The selection of philosophy was decen
Jenna
The fifth century B.C. thinkers began to exercise their power of the mind: question were asked about the origin of reason, and our fundamental judgement of man's view of himself and world we live in. This book introduces nine great thinkers of Western philosophy from the ancient Greece until 19th century America.

It tells the history of thier famous works, and eye-opening theories reflecting upon the principle of their thought and action.
Goran
Jan 08, 2011 Goran rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Having me review this is like having a Christian review the Bible.
Mark Congiusta
Jan 31, 2015 Mark Congiusta rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
The equivalent of an intellectual triathlon; totally sucks while in the midst of it, but once finished you feel a powerful sense of accomlishment.
Cassidy Gan
Mar 13, 2017 Cassidy Gan rated it liked it
I don't have any background knowledge about philosophy, and I picked this up to begin studying philosophy. The parts detailing the history of philosophy are great but most of the content covers modern philosophy which can be a little tedious and the fonts used are too small to my liking.
Nat
Oct 20, 2013 Nat rated it liked it
I was reading this book while traveling in Greece, the birth place of philosophy. This book begins with the trial of Socrates. And I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Socrates' prison up on a mountain in Athens. It made it all the more interesting to read.

Despite having fun with the first few works of philosophy, I had trouble understanding Aristotle's "poetics". As I was finishing up the book mostly on the metro in my daily commute to work and back, I would often retract to earlier pages
Ramona Wray
Dec 13, 2015 Ramona Wray rated it it was amazing
I don't feel qualified to review this. It's a great introductory anthology, which can and should be enjoyed not only by philosophy aficionados, but by any intelligent being in the world. It's a work one can refer to over and over again, for pleasure or edification. It is worth revisiting whenever possible.
Courtney
Readfrk Axland
Look for kindle version
Matthew T
Sep 13, 2016 Matthew T rated it really liked it
A good read to give you an introduction to some of the most important ideas in philosophy.
Bronwyn parks
Bronwyn parks rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2008
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2007
KaryAnn
KaryAnn rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Thomas Leischner
Thomas Leischner rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2017
Nigel
Nigel rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2010
David Beeuwsaert
David Beeuwsaert rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Richard Kolivoski
Richard Kolivoski rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2010
Christopher Nilsson
Christopher Nilsson rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2017
Liz
Liz rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2012
Hemanth Bhargav
Hemanth Bhargav rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Maurice McKiernan
Maurice McKiernan rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Shane
Shane rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2011
Fox Lui
Fox Lui rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Autumn Meier
Autumn Meier rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2017
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • The Lazy Tour Of Two Idle Apprentices
  • The Two Sources of Morality and Religion
  • Socrates Cafe: A Fresh Taste of Philosophy
  • Who's Afraid of Relativism?: Community, Contingency, and Creaturehood (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
Robert Paul Wolff is an American political philosopher. An alumnus of Harvard University, he currently teaches at University of Massachusetts-Amherst. He was primarily known for his research on Immanuel Kant.

More about Robert Paul Wolff...