Start by marking “The Theft & the Miracle” as Want to Read:
The Theft & the Miracle

The Theft & the Miracle

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  18 reviews
On a cold, rainy day, ordinary Hannah Price stumbles into the cathedral and does something extraordinary--almost in a trance, she makes a perfect drawing of an antique carving of the Virgin and Child, capturing their every detail.

The next day the statue of the Child is taken from the Virgin's arms, and a few days later Hannah is interviewed by the police. Soon, strange th

Published January 2nd 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Theft & the Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Theft & the Miracle

Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert  BeattyA Monster Calls by Patrick NessWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanDoll Bones by Holly Black
Spooky Middle Grade Reads
15th out of 121 books — 49 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Black Rose by Diana  SweeneyTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books for Middle School Girls
91st out of 233 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
I liked this book. I looked forward to having a quiet moment to read it, but it wasn't quite the can't-put-it-down variety. The author is obviously a talented writer, and I liked the main character and her friend, but the story was inconsistent. At times it seemed very well thought out and the clues to the mystery were intriguing, but the end seemed overall weak. The bad guy tells the good guy exactly what has been going on, and I'm reading it wondering why he's telling her and what the whole po ...more
Wendy
A great premise, but the writing was surprisingly amateurish--too many adverbs, one-dimensional characters, plotlines that don't go anywhere, implausible events, a Mary Sue narrator, a (very long) "here's what happened" ending... it read almost like a first draft, while at the same time you feel like the author slaved over it (and so I feel almost guilty for saying all that).

I'm surprised that a previous commenter was offended by the portrayal of Wicca "as a religion", since the portrayal was no
Shazza Maddog
Heather Price is a normal girl, living in a British town where the biggest tourist draw is the cathedral, one of the few not destroyed in WWII. She had never been to the cathedral outside of field trips, but a chance to help one of her school friends by lending a coat during a rain storm sends Heather to the cathedral to hide out and wait for the storm to pass. She finds herself studying the statue, hand carved out of oak, of Mary and the baby Jesus, and develops an urge to sketch them.

So she d
Lavender911
The Theft and the Miracle is about overwieght Hannah Price who gets involved in a mystery. One day, she enters the cathedral and draws a perfect drawing of the Virgin and Child. The next day the statue of the Child is stolen. Thats when strange things start to happen to Hannah and she determined to find out what happened, even if it will take a miracle.

I loved The Theft and the Miracle because it was very suspensful and mysterious. The author really pulled me in with the plot. She was detailed b
Patricia
Sometimes it is easier to gush over a four- or five-star book than to explain why I am not giving a particular book four or five stars. To give three stars means it was OK but I'm really not recommending it to my friends.

The story was OK, and actually not the run-of-the-mill story. Although I'm a religious person, I was not overly taken by the "religious powers of statuary" part of the story. I liked the characters. I liked the "English" feel to the story (as opposed to an "American" feel to a
Linda
Hannah and Sam are well-defined and highly likable characters which is what keeps me going in my least favorite genre, mystery. Wade also does a masterful job of creating a sense of place and time. The plot, however, was a bit confusing especially at the end when too much was happening too fast (it would have be a 4 star if I had stopped 3/4 through, but then I would not have know how it ended!). This is a first novel and I am trusting the her next will be better.
Theresa
Nov 26, 2007 Theresa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: don't know that I would
Shelves: adult-teen
I feel conlicted about this one. It was a gripping book, very hard to put down, but some elements were disturbing. I didn't appreciate the discussion on Satanic worship and Wicca as a religion. However Christianity was the religion championed in the end. I definitely won't read this or recommend it to my kids.
Frogs
It was a pretty good book. There were some grammer errors :( It bugged someone so much that in one part the put the correct puntuation in. lol :) Over all it was really easy to get into, fun, and kept me guessing! :)
Tawni
The plot twists in this book were actually really unexpected, but they were a good unexpected. It was one of the best books I've read recently, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in trying something new.
Amanda
I thought this was going to be a fantasy but it was more of a mystery and mysteries are always a little weird(this is the first book I read on my Kindle Fire that I got for Christmas!)
Katie
This book was amazing! It is such a mystery that has you guessing the whole way! The ending is so unexpected! It is such a good book!
Tori
Wasn't one of my favorite books but it was interesting but I can't say that I'm going to re read this book anytime soon
Joelle
This was a really good book. At first I thought it took place in the middle ages but its really in the present.
Aye Buenavista
I love it. Good things and weird things, yes! Happens to ordinary, normal people like Hannah and Sam.
CLM
Feb 14, 2008 CLM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jan
Shelves: childrensbooks
An unusual book - I couldn't put it down until I was done although had sworn to go to bed early.
Maddy
Intense and unpredictable (to me anyways:), this book is a great mystery.
Julie Tomer
Jun 30, 2007 Julie Tomer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 10 - 14
This was a really intriguing and original mystery.
PWRL
Jun 04, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Thea
Thea marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Aileen Kopping
Aileen Kopping marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
NicoP
NicoP marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Whispering House An Innocent Mistress: Four Brides for Four Brothers A Wanted Woman An Unlikely Outlaw