The Theft & the Miracle

The Theft & the Miracle

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  17 reviews
On a cold, rainy day, ordinary Hannah Price stumbles into the cathedral and does something extraordinary--almost in a trance, she makes a perfect drawing of an antique carving of the Virgin and Child, capturing their every detail.

The next day the statue of the Child is taken from the Virgin's arms, and a few days later Hannah is interviewed by the police. Soon, strange th

Published January 2nd 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Black Rose by Diana  SweeneyCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books for Middle School Girls
84th out of 224 books — 75 voters
The Broken by Sean FrawleyDoll Bones by Holly BlackThe Doll in the Garden by Mary Downing HahnThe Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Claire LegrandA Tale Dark & Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
Spooky Middle Grade Reads
6th out of 110 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Rachel
I liked this book. I looked forward to having a quiet moment to read it, but it wasn't quite the can't-put-it-down variety. The author is obviously a talented writer, and I liked the main character and her friend, but the story was inconsistent. At times it seemed very well thought out and the clues to the mystery were intriguing, but the end seemed overall weak. The bad guy tells the good guy exactly what has been going on, and I'm reading it wondering why he's telling her and what the whole po...more
Wendy
A great premise, but the writing was surprisingly amateurish--too many adverbs, one-dimensional characters, plotlines that don't go anywhere, implausible events, a Mary Sue narrator, a (very long) "here's what happened" ending... it read almost like a first draft, while at the same time you feel like the author slaved over it (and so I feel almost guilty for saying all that).

I'm surprised that a previous commenter was offended by the portrayal of Wicca "as a religion", since the portrayal was no...more
Lavender911
The Theft and the Miracle is about overwieght Hannah Price who gets involved in a mystery. One day, she enters the cathedral and draws a perfect drawing of the Virgin and Child. The next day the statue of the Child is stolen. Thats when strange things start to happen to Hannah and she determined to find out what happened, even if it will take a miracle.

I loved The Theft and the Miracle because it was very suspensful and mysterious. The author really pulled me in with the plot. She was detailed b...more
Patricia
Sometimes it is easier to gush over a four- or five-star book than to explain why I am not giving a particular book four or five stars. To give three stars means it was OK but I'm really not recommending it to my friends.

The story was OK, and actually not the run-of-the-mill story. Although I'm a religious person, I was not overly taken by the "religious powers of statuary" part of the story. I liked the characters. I liked the "English" feel to the story (as opposed to an "American" feel to a...more
Linda
Hannah and Sam are well-defined and highly likable characters which is what keeps me going in my least favorite genre, mystery. Wade also does a masterful job of creating a sense of place and time. The plot, however, was a bit confusing especially at the end when too much was happening too fast (it would have be a 4 star if I had stopped 3/4 through, but then I would not have know how it ended!). This is a first novel and I am trusting the her next will be better.
Theresa
Nov 26, 2007 Theresa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: don't know that I would
Shelves: adult-teen
I feel conlicted about this one. It was a gripping book, very hard to put down, but some elements were disturbing. I didn't appreciate the discussion on Satanic worship and Wicca as a religion. However Christianity was the religion championed in the end. I definitely won't read this or recommend it to my kids.
Frogs
It was a pretty good book. There were some grammer errors :( It bugged someone so much that in one part the put the correct puntuation in. lol :) Over all it was really easy to get into, fun, and kept me guessing! :)
Tawni
The plot twists in this book were actually really unexpected, but they were a good unexpected. It was one of the best books I've read recently, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in trying something new.
Amanda
I thought this was going to be a fantasy but it was more of a mystery and mysteries are always a little weird(this is the first book I read on my Kindle Fire that I got for Christmas!)
Katie
This book was amazing! It is such a mystery that has you guessing the whole way! The ending is so unexpected! It is such a good book!
Tori
Wasn't one of my favorite books but it was interesting but I can't say that I'm going to re read this book anytime soon
Joelle
This was a really good book. At first I thought it took place in the middle ages but its really in the present.
Aye Buenavista
I love it. Good things and weird things, yes! Happens to ordinary, normal people like Hannah and Sam.
CLM
Feb 14, 2008 CLM rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jan
Shelves: childrensbooks
An unusual book - I couldn't put it down until I was done although had sworn to go to bed early.
Maddy
Intense and unpredictable (to me anyways:), this book is a great mystery.
Julie Tomer
Jun 30, 2007 Julie Tomer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 10 - 14
This was a really intriguing and original mystery.
PWRL
Jun 04, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Holly
Holly added it
Apr 15, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Hanna-Lee Harjono
Hanna-Lee Harjono marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Asma Fakhfakh
Asma Fakhfakh marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Rene' Riddle
Rene' Riddle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Jaijai
Jaijai added it
Dec 30, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Whispering House An Innocent Mistress: Four Brides for Four Brothers A Wanted Woman An Unlikely Outlaw