Start by marking “Just Shopping with Mom” as Want to Read:
Just Shopping with Mom

Just Shopping with Mom (Little Critter)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,369 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Little sister seems to want just about everything she sees when she goes out shopping with mom.
Hardcover
Published June 1st 1998 by Perfection Learning (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Just Shopping with Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Shopping with Mom

Casey Richard
This book is part of Mercer Mayer's, Little Critter Series. This story is about the little critter and his younger sisters shopping with their mother. The little sister is always asking the mom to buy her something outrageous, but mom always says no. The sister throws many fits and demands to get candy, ice cream, a new kitty, etc. After the kids and mother shop for the litter sister's new dress, they all go out to get ice cream, just like the little sister wanted. This story (and Little Critter ...more
Alyssa Birnbaum
Jan 26, 2016 Alyssa Birnbaum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd314
This book has a cover that I have still not forgotten in fifteen years, the artwork stands out and fits the book perfectly. This book is a huge childhood memory for me, and is one of the first books I was able to read on my own. The sense of humor in the book is something I have always picked up on, but means even more to me now and makes me love this book even more.
Brianna
Feb 22, 2015 Brianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mercer Mayer books just send me through nostalgia. My grandmother used to read all the little critter books to all of her grandchildren, and this one was one of my favorites! I love this story; I think it teaches manners and it shows children how "acting up" can be hard for a parent to deal with. Very great illustrations and I believe most children (and adults) will enjoy it!
Sophie
Dad got this book from a coworker and I like reading this one since mommy and I go shopping a lot (after she picks me up from daycare). The other night we read it twice in a row (I read it the second time and dad was impressed that I got the meaning for most of the pages right).
Stacey Seaman
Dec 07, 2014 Stacey Seaman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-stories
I love Little Critter books and so does my son. This particular story reminded me of our own shopping trips.
Marika
Mar 15, 2016 Marika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books were a big part of my childhood! The ones I've rated were my favorites.
Liana
Dec 23, 2015 Liana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book series ever for children!
Alison
Feb 23, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animal based stories are not always my faviorite, but some students may find them intresting and may be able to relate to animal stories better than stories with human characters. I believe it is improtant to have a variey in the classroom, and this book would be added to my shelf. This book sends a positive message and a child might learn a lesson from it, and I believe this is an important aspect of a book.
Owlsome Readers
AR Level: 1.7
Points Value: 0.5
AR Quiz No. 7279
Gala
Taking three children to the grocery store what fun. The oldest Critter understood that you can not eat the items in the store but his little sister ate and cried for candy. Mom took the crying baby while brother and sister waited. This was a good mom she bought them a book. Mayer's books all relational for parents having to say no the whole trip.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 7279 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Darrielle
This is a nice family read about teh whole family shopping with their motehr. Share this story with students in pre-k to 3rd grade to help them share their own personal experiences about shopping and running errands with their parents.
Tori
Sep 17, 2012 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
PB 18: I love the illustrations of the Mercer Mayer books. I also like the overall arrangement of the text and the pictures. This book was relate able to children with siblings, especially younger ones who want to ask for everything.
Kristina Arnold
I think this a good book for the classroom to show you can be rewarded when you behave, however children should never expect a material award every time they show good behavior.
Megan Ekins
Little critter books are fun ones to have in a class room library. Not so much a read aloud book. But a fun one for kids to look at the pictures and read themselves.
Natalie
Aug 01, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Haha...this reminded me of what it's like taking all of my kids to the store! My girls love this book--especially because the characters somewhat resemble themselves. :)
Christy
May 31, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was thinking about some of my favorite childrens books. This is perfect, just like shopping trips with my children. I enjoy reading this to my children.
Angela Hollen
Little Critter goes to the store with his mom. His little sister creates all kinds of trouble in the store ad wants all kinds of things! For beginning readers.
E
May 11, 2015 E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Little Critter's expressive humor speaks to almost every child, but this one loses points for disciplining a character with threats of a spanking.
Melissa
Jul 19, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eventful shopping trip with mom where little sister keeps getting in trouble. The pictures help tell the real story.
Charlotte
May 04, 2013 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, kid-books
My son loves this book. Apparently the bratty little sister reminds him of his own little sister.
Theresa
Aug 14, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Becky
One of the books I found from my predecessor. Looking for books to use for my class.
The Children
Apr 27, 2009 The Children rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perfectly captures what shopping with three kids is like for the mom. But it's funny.
Deana Pittman
AR book--Abbi. She thought this one was ok, but it was "kinda boring."
Amy Carter
Jan 28, 2009 Amy Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. The older 2 kids remind me of my kids.
Greta
Nov 12, 2008 Greta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
So true to life on many a day out shopping with kids.
Luna
Feb 21, 2013 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book when I was a kid.
Sara
Nov 29, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We really did laugh through this one!
Aerin
Mar 21, 2009 Aerin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
March 2009 - my kids' current favorite
  • Just a Thunderstorm (Look-Look)
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin
  • One Cent, Two Cents, Old Cent, New Cent: All About Money
  • Franklin's Halloween
  • Fancy Nancy: Pajama Day
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
  • The Very Clumsy Click Beetle
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad