20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The mid-20s through the mid-30s can be a time of difficult transition: the security blanket of college and parents is gone, and it's suddenly time to make far-reaching decisions about career, investments, even adult identity. When author Christine Hassler experienced such a quarter-life crisis, she found that she was not alone. In fact, an entire generation of young women...more
Published April 27th 2005 by New World Library (first published April 10th 2005)

Stephany
It took me 4 months but I finally finished this book! WOO!

Highly recommend for anyone facing a quarterlife crisis, or just anyone who wants to dig deep into what they really want out of this life. The journaling portions are long, but they are so vital to getting everything out of this book. I didn't do them all, but I did the majority of them and I can see myself rereading through certain chapters again and again.

I learned a LOT throughout the process of reading this book and it was useful is...more
Rachel Vives
This book is one of those... you know, when you're peering around the self help section, telling yourself you'll just "have a look" and pitty all the poor sappy women consoling themselves on the floor while telling yourself "I'm here because I don't have to be" when in fact, nobody goes in there unless they are looking for some sort of direction.
On one of those days, I found myself needing a little strength and just maybe, a plan that has already been laid out by an author (preferably a doctor a...more
Stephanie Spines
Too airy fairy for me. Too superficial and too basic. This book lacked the philosophical analysis of being directionless, anxious and young that I needed. Also written from a particular point of view that is completely irrelevant to my life, especially in terms of privilege.
Chelsea Frederick
I couldn't even get past the intro. This book was written for the woman who wants the "Sex in the City" kind of lifestyle, which I certainly do not.
Samantha
I'm not big on self-help books, but facing a mountain of student loans and no permanent full-time job offers was enough to make me seek out self-help book recommendations. I ended-up with this one and can't say that I feel really improved from having read it. 20 Something, 20 Everything is less than 10 years old, but is extremely dated due to the current state of the economy and how Hassler discusses the work force.

Additionally, this book isn't really geared towards all 20 something women. Its...more
Lisamarie Landreth
20-Something 20-Everything was the first book of it's kind addressing the Odyssey Years we twenty-somethings find ourselves traversing. I had high hopes for this book and bought "The Twenty Something Manifesto" with it. As a weekly columnist for the Huffington Post, I expected Christine to deliver on her promise to clarify the quarter-life crisis and "provide insights to balance and direction." This book was fluff mixed with meaningless "exercises" with a penchant for stating the obvious. It too...more
Bertha Leal
The title should have tipped me off but I ploughed ahead anyway and now I feel like I was somehow tricked into reading a badly written self-help book. I personally love self-help (guilty pleasure!) but there have been better attempts than this. Didn't even finish it. Meh.
Elise
When I started having my quarter-life crisis :-) admit it, you've had one too....I liked that this book was quite interactive and encouraged me to write a lot.
Lara
I really wanted to like this book but found it painfully boring and cliche.
Melisa
Loved it. Bang on! Exactly what I needed to read at this point in my life, and will definitely be referencing back to it as I follow new joys in life. Christine Hassler reminds us over and over to always follow your joy, stop comparing yourself to other people, and that our purpose in life doesn't have to be defined by what we do for a career. Reading this book, I learned about other women experiencing a quarter life crisis and how to set clear goals to improve my quality of life. This is a fant...more
Alice
I found it helpful. It was nice to see other people thinking and feeling the way I did. It gave my feelings validity. It also helped me to accept that I cannot have everything all at once. That it's okay not to have everything all at once. However there are too many assignments. I say that not because I was too preoccupied to do them. I say that because not all of them seemed useful to anyone. I read over even the only that weren't as applicable to me. Maybe I should have just skipped them entir...more
lucy :)
This book DEFINITELY needs to be read with a good brain filter. Some of the exercises were very helpful in sorting out some confusing bits in my brain, but there were also a lot that could probably be highly detrimental to the progression of various arenas of my life if I went through without first analyzing whether or not it's actually applicable to me. There were a lot of great tips and new perspectives for me to consider but at the same time, some of the wording and comments made me a little...more
Ijeoma Eboh
Probably too cheesy for most, but EXACTLY what I needed
Jocelyn
Best book for a college graduate.
Katie
I wish I had read this when I was 21 or 22 instead of 30. I totally resonated with everything in this book. It wasn't what I needed, but it was comforting to know I wasn't alone in the struggles I've had through my 20s, especially the latter half of my 20s. It's a pretty good balance of stories and things the author learned from her research and then guided journaling (a little heavier on the journaling at the beginning, so give it a little time).
Nalini
I tried a few different strategies to "efficiently" get through this book only to discover that the best way through it is with patient engagement. Grab a notebook before you start, follow every exercise, and take time to pause between the lessons. One of my favorite exercises was to interview women of different ages to gather their perspectives on life, love, politics, and other topics.
Sheryl Saturnino
This book took me about three months to get through. If you really want to utilize it, answer all the discussion questions. It might take you longer, but I felt that these questions were necessary in finding out what I am really passionate about. I highly recommend this to any young woman who is unsure about the next step in her life. It has helped me a lot in this "quarter life crisis".
Suad
Overall, I enjoyed this book because it helped me reflect on things I wouldn't normally think about. These thought processes were helpful in some recent decision making. I feel like it was cheesy at (a lot) of times but I was able to look beyond that and get some benefit from this book. It's a great tool in helping discover what you really want career wise.
Chagla
Good to read, but not enough! Maybe after reading it couple of times, it would be possible to put in use all those great tips about life.. And exercises are good to stop for a sec and think about your lide but after a while i felt a bit lazy to complete them all.. Maybe i should give it a go for another time to get the most out of its wisdom..
Brit
If you're in your 20s, read this book. Enough said. No really, Christine has been there and done that - anything and everything a woman in her 20s wants to do and be. I interviewed her for Plano Profile magazine and she was a doll. Very sincere and passionate about young women finding their purpose in life.
Peacegal
Quarter-life women who are mired in the panic of “what next?!” will want to pick up this straightforward and helpful little book. I especially liked the author’s gentle advice on careers and relationships, fully aware the twentysomething women tend to make poor decisions in both arenas.
Staci
This book will not solve the quarter-life crisis but might make it a bit more understandable. The exercises in the book can feel a bit tedious and boring after a while but they are designed to put you more in touch with yourself. An okay book, overall.
Briana Myricks
Not just a self help read but real guidance with assignments to make you think about the tough questions and find answers for them. Highly recommended for early twentysomethings who are pre-crisis or smack dab in the middle of one like me.
Yesmel
Great self-hep book for those feeling a little overwhelmed by life, specially young women. Some of the exercises might sound stupid but they really help you get a better idea of who you are and where to go. Must read.
Monica
I didn't finish it, basically because she wanted me to do *homework* and I was looking for a quick fix. (silly me) I've often looked at it on my shelf, and wished that I had the guts to finish it up.
Lisa
I think this book is great for people like me who have really high expectations for themselves and aren't where they thing they "should" be in their lives. Remove "should" from your vocabulary!
Lee
Nov 08, 2009 Lee marked it as to-read
slow reading in some ways because asked to write along with reading it - however, it is really insightful/helpful and I should probably be reading it more consistently
Oct 03, 2013 Laura added it
I have left this unfinished for over a year..."reading" involves intense journaling that made it difficult to want to sit down with it after a busy day.
Krisan
Oct 02, 2007 Krisan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: women in their 20s
this book helped me realize that i am not alone in my quarter-life crisis. it's a good self-help book for women struggling with various issues in their 20s.
Kaitlin
If you are in your 20's read this!!!! I'm only 40 pages in and I'm already starting to be clear in my unknown direction. I'll re-review post read.
  • Bitches on a Budget: Sage Advice for Surviving Tough Times in Style
  • What Did I Do Wrong?: When Women Don't Tell Each Other the Friendship Is Over
  • Single: The Art of Being Satisfied, Fulfilled and Independent
  • What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self
  • How Remarkable Women Lead: The Breakthrough Model for Work and Life
  • Getting from College to Career: 90 Things to Do Before You Join the Real World
  • Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn without Blowing It
  • Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want
  • Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)
  • Knowing Your Value: Women, Money, and Getting What You're Worth
  • A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life
  • The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives
  • Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message That Feminism's Work Is Done
  • Life After College: The Complete Guide to Getting What You Want
  • Daughters of the North
  • It's a Wonderful Lie: 26 Truths About Life in Your Twenties
  • Have Him at Hello: Confessions from 1,000 Guys About What Makes Them Fall in Love . . . Or Never Call Back
  • Magnified World
20 Something Manifesto: Quarter-Lifers Speak Out About Who They Are, What They Want, and How to Get It 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction Overcoming Expectation Hangovers: How to Leverage Disappointment Into Ultimate Fulfillment Expectation Hangover: Overcoming Disappointment in Work, Love, and Life Chicken Soup For The Twenty Something's Soul Inspiration For A Life Defining Decade

“...a time when the plans and ideals that you've been dreaming of for years come up against reality. you graduate from college and have to find your way in the real world. you learn that there is no perfect job. there is no perfect relationship.” 7 likes