Start by marking “The Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy (with Source CD-ROM)” as Want to Read:
The Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy (with Source CD-ROM)

The Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy (with Source CD-ROM)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
It's time for an introduction to philosophy textbook that's written so you can actually understand it! THE BIG QUESTIONS: A SHORT INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY tackles the tough issues and helps you make up your mind about what you think, all while presenting the best philosophical selections available.
Published February 11th 2005 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Questions

The Republic by PlatoSophie's World by Jostein GaarderFear and Trembling by Søren KierkegaardThe Story of Philosophy by Will DurantMartin Heidegger's Path of Thinking by Otto Pöggeler
Best Philosophy Introductions
49th out of 111 books — 155 voters
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell101 Philosophy Problems by Martin CohenThe Trial and Death of Socrates by PlatoEl mundo de Sofía by Jostein GaarderA Brief History of Western Philosophy by Anthony Kenny
Introductions to Philosophy
7th out of 16 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Billie Pritchett
Oct 23, 2015 Billie Pritchett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Robert C. Solomon's Big Questions: A Short Introduction to Philosophy did exactly what it was supposed to do: explain the subject matter of philosophy clearly and make that subject matter relevant to everyday life. Any student who will use this book in a classroom will have a basic idea of what philosophy is and why the subject is meaningful and relevant. The book is centered around some basic questions:
1. What is the meaning of life?
2. Is there a God, and what is the nature of God?
3. What is t
Don
May 13, 2012 Don rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Highly recommended as an overview of important philosophical thought. Well-written and engaging.
Abner Rosenweig
May 18, 2015 Abner Rosenweig rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic introduction because it recognizes the central aspect of philosophy as the careful articulation of one's own thoughts, and it encourages the reader to dive in and do philosophy while he or she works through the fundamental human questions in the book.

Solomon and Higgins introduce the big ideas philosophers have been grappling with through the ages; present several classic perspectives for each; encourage the reader to examine and develop his or her own thoughts by asking targ
Athanos
Aug 28, 2014 Athanos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We push those questions arising from our contact to the immediate surrounding reality to an infinite extent and seek some reasonable, coherent, and consistent answers, then call this pursuit Philosophy. But the pushing to the infinite is simply wrong; infiniteness is incomprehensible, and bound to lead to contradictions, as is clearly demonstrated in mathematics and cosmology, in which infiniteness is tactfully circumambulated around.

Philosophy is indeed futile. The only thing that can benefit f
Glen Ebisch
May 25, 2014 Glen Ebisch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a superb text for teaching Introduction to Philosophy. The writing is clear and concise, which is not always true, even of books written for freshmen, and the author comprehensively covers all of the major areas of philosophy. Anyone who was a simply interested in philosophy for their own enjoyment would find this a good place to start.
Nancy Oyula
Sep 07, 2015 Nancy Oyula rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Philosophy has always been a discipline that often captures my interest. My current read, The Big Questions is all about that; Philosophy. I like how the author talks about a variety of things we encounter, discuss and experience in our daily lives. Robert talks about Religion, God, faith and what we believe in. He talks of the types of knowledge; Empirical (one gets through experience) and Priori (knowledge that is independent, before any experience.)He also talks of freedom and goes to great l ...more
Adam
Aug 30, 2007 Adam rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT!
Henry Fifth
Jan 13, 2013 Henry Fifth rated it really liked it
I was always interested in philosophy, frequently loosing myself in thoughts of metaphysics and epistemology. This was, however, before I really knew what it was all about. Then I began my college career, and was assigned this book as the text for my introductory class.

First of all, the professor for this class was superb; Easily the best professor I have had. He was a well-to-do older fellow (world was 2 vet, 85 years old at the time) with very strong christian morals...But a helluva mind.

Thi
Americanenglishexper
great. I also suggest The Last Pharaoh: Mubarak and the Uncertain Future of Egypt in the Obama Age
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Sep 09, 2008 Joshua Nomen-Mutatio rated it really liked it
I read this a while back along with a book called "13 Thinkers" or something like that which was another intro to philosophy book that my dad owned a copy of from his college days. It was my first introduction to philosophy that I can remember. I really enjoyed it and was baffled by a lot of it too. I kinda forgot about philosophy for a couple years after reading it until I went to college. It was interesting for me to see what kind of things my dad was underlining in the book as well. I remembe ...more
Xun
Feb 23, 2014 Xun rated it it was amazing
Quite decent for beginners in philosophy.
Jessica
Mar 23, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to philosophy and it has been one of the best books I've read. I was a high school student without knowledge of any philosophical arguments but this was comprehensive and easy to understand. Solomon writes clearly, and well. I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to start somewhere in the field of philosophy.
Iris Greth
Apr 30, 2016 Iris Greth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It answers questions with questions. I understand this is philosophy, but I cannot be expected to understand theories if all I am given are more questions and no explanations.
Hom Sack
Oct 11, 2012 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing
Fairly comprehensive and clearly written. Would be an excellent text for a Philosophy 101 course.
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 100 SOL

A gift of Donna CLARK.

Available.
Janet
Jun 02, 2013 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent philosophy 101 book. Interesting and easy to follow.
Yasmin
Nov 25, 2015 Yasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Good book for anyone interested in the meaning of life.
Martin Cohen
Mar 18, 2013 Martin Cohen rated it did not like it
I thought this one was really boring!
Sean Cheng
Feb 23, 2012 Sean Cheng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
最好的哲学入门了。豆瓣上说的很好,清晰晓畅。
Madelaine
Madelaine marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Leonardo Rodrigues
Leonardo Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Lei Zhou
Lei Zhou rated it it was amazing
Hanka Šmídová
Hanka Šmídová marked it as to-read
Mzera Mzee
Mzera Mzee marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Aleka
Aleka marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Erik Coronado
Erik Coronado marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Sumit Pokhrel
Sumit Pokhrel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Piyush
Piyush marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
  • Philosophical Hermeneutics
  • Ten Theories of Human Nature
  • Introduction to Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • Existentialism: Basic Writings
  • Nonsense: Red Herrings, Straw Men and Sacred Cows: How We Abuse Logic in Our Everyday Language
  • The Cambridge Companion to Wittgenstein
  • The Gulf War Did Not Take Place
Robert C. Solomon (September 14, 1942 – January 2, 2007) was a professor of continental philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin.

Early life

Solomon was born in Detroit, Michigan. His father was a lawyer, and his mother an artist. After earning a B.A. (1963) at the University of Pennsylvania, he moved to the University of Michigan to study medicine, switching to philosophy for an M.A. (1965)
More about Robert C. Solomon...