Start by marking “Chasing Life: New Discoveries in the Search for Immortality to Help You Age Less Today” as Want to Read:

For centuries, adventurers and scientists have pursued the dream of immortality. Today it appears it might actaully be a reality. This is not an anti-aging book. It's a groundbreaking guide to functionl aging--living longer than we ma y have ever thought possible. Practical immortality may now be within our grasps thanks to cutting-edge scientific research and amazing medi ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published April 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Life

Lacie
Apr 15, 2014 Lacie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed in this book, as it offered very little new information. I guess if you are new to a healthy life (and like a bunch of study statistics) then it might be a good fit. My biggest problem was the casual dismissal of the problems hormones and GMOs in our food causes. His only real argument was the FDA said it was okay--not reassuring when some of the FDA are in bed with Monsanto. This book seemed more about selling a book than really doing anything useful.
Ice
Aug 03, 2011 Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Pauline
Jul 15, 2011 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I keep it around as a reference book to remind me of all the things that have been found to improve a person's health just by making small changes in their every day life. Well written, non-technical advice backed by references of the studies being cited so if a reader wants to find out more, they know where to look. Good commute audio book.
Mary
May 21, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Sanjay Gupta's writing style in his two pop-medical books, although I think his other book, Cheating Death, was the more engrossing of the two. This book did have its share of fascinating facts. I especially enjoyed the sections on the future of life preserving medicine. Seriously, much of the current medical research in this field sounds like science fiction (i.e. the ability to regrow organs and limbs, nanobots circulating through our bloodstream reversing the aging process, brin ...more
Sandra
Jan 25, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't about "helping you age less" but about helping you live optimally by changing some of your habits. I think the title is somewhat of a turn-off. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the book: it wasn't glib or breezy, it didn't prophesy doom, it wasn't oversimplified nor was it heavily research-oriented. In fact, I'd say Sanjay Gupta got it just right. He manages to review and add to what we already know on eating, supplements, exercise, the brain, cancer, heart health, attitud ...more
Charline A Wells
Jan 21, 2015 Charline A Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a reason for hope

I liked it especially the brief lists at the end of each chapter that summarized key points. Quality information. Interesting reading making complex topics simple for the layman.
M
Jul 19, 2016 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-fitness
Nothing exceptional here. Information in the book is widely available from other sources. Quick and easy survey of what makes you healthy and keeps you living strong.
Curt
Sep 01, 2007 Curt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sanjay Gupta talks about his exploration of the current science of extending quality-of-life expectancy, called Healthspan. Some things were only a surprise in their magnitude - like weight. Other things were interesting to read about the justification and validity, like red wine and chocolate. Of course the need to continue learning as a way of preventing Alzheimer's and dementia is probably not a problem for people who would use this site. Hopefully medical science advances will continue, teac ...more
Jmp
Feb 24, 2016 Jmp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely man. Good writer. Content is a compilation of other books I've read on the same subject.
Gail
Aug 13, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book as a lot of great information, that I will go back to for reference in the future.
Dec 05, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Now that Sanjay has a TV presence I guess the idea is to market his "brand" as much as possible. This book was a quick rehash of the current advice for living healthy--and thus hopefully long. Most of it was familiar to me, so I didn't find it particularly interesting or inspiring. However, someone who needs a refresher on pointers for a healthy lifestyle might find this a good pep talk. Only 3 CDs.
Lisa
Aug 30, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Health Sustainability to the fifth power! If you are interested in keeping your self healthy read this book.
Teri
healthy living
Priya
I'm not really sure about this book. It's informative, I'll give it that. But honestly, it's nothing new. I wish somebody would write something I could use, and that I'm not already using. Still, overall, decent read, but yes, I had to put it down to complete at a later date. Maybe the ending has that grandiose finish. One can hope.
Careyt
Nov 09, 2009 Careyt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finding this an interesting read, not so much for it's revolutionary data but because it helps focus you on what's really important in life...not just good health, but great, able bodied health. It's both obvious, and if you look at all the people walking by you on the street, clearly not the focus of so many of us.
Yoonmee
Nov 27, 2011 Yoonmee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-wellness
Meh. It's got some interesting information about aging and health, but otherwise it's nothing special. Eat your veggies, exercise, less red meat, less or no processed foods, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that Dr. Gupta tends to toe the FDA company line when it comes to many issues.
BLACK CAT
Dec 29, 2011 BLACK CAT rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you don't know a thing about general health advice, this is a good beginning. This is not my first "healthy" book so I already knew most of the things. The last chapter was the most interesting and futurist. I think I will read something from the author Ray Kurzweil.
Maria Raynal
I guess this book would be good for those who know little about health, fitness and nutrition, but honestly I felt like I could've written it, and I have zero credentials in the field. So, a superficial look at the basics, but could be great for beginners.
Shannon
Got the book for free through work. Been on an educational kick recently and have really enjoyed this book so far. Very interesting. Some common sense and some reiteration of lessons already known but efinitely learning!
Suz
Jul 09, 2013 Suz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm embarrassed to say I read the entire book. People with better things to do really shouldn't. Two things to take from this book: eat a plant based diet, exercise. (and don't bother reading this book cover to cover.)
Jennifer Hill
Jan 17, 2009 Jennifer Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good book that provides information on helping you stay younger! I enjoyed how they went around to different countries and found out why certain people are living longer and what those people are doing.
Kathy
Jul 08, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot was not new information but some was. I like Dr. Gupta on CNN so thought I'd check this out. The end of the book has lots of links to good web sites on healthy living.
Joseph Young
General book about ways people are trying to prolong their lives with new scientific discoveries. Don't feel like I learned much, but maybe I read this book too late.
Joanne
Jan 29, 2010 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book! It took knowledge I had, added to it, and summarized it. Each chapter has a bulleted list of important points, which I found helpful.
Tanya
Jul 28, 2010 Tanya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not so sure about the immortality part but it was a good summary of all the common sense stuff we should be doing to live healthier.
Susan
Aug 25, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was packed with alot of helpful information. Any one who is looking to live a healthy life style should give it a look.
Douglas
Apr 28, 2007 Douglas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
So far a good book. Some great advice about what is going on in the medical field. Very very exciting stuff.
Kevin Saldanha
Along the same lines as the calorie restriction society guidelines... easier said than done ;-)
Rhonda Tackett-barkey
Dr. Sanjay Gupta offers some good advice on living a longer, healthier, and more productive life.
Jellie Dawn
It was very informative but fell short on some of it's promise at the book cover.
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Going Gray: What I Learned about Beauty, Sex, Work, Motherhood, Authenticity, and Everything Else That Really Matters
  • Love Yourself And Let The Other Person Have It Your Way
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • The Joy of Pregnancy: The Complete, Candid, and Reassuring Companion for Parents-to-Be
  • It Takes a Genome: How a Clash Between Our Genes and Modern Life Is Making Us Sick
  • Lance: The Making of the World’s Greatest Champion
  • Hating Women: America's Hostile Campaign Against the Fairer Sex
  • The Flatiron: The New York Landmark and the Incomparable City That Arose with It
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
  • The New Rules of Lifting for Abs: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain- Free Back
  • Times to Remember
  • What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children's Books
  • Zhou Enlai: The Last Perfect Revolutionary
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • The Macrobiotic Way
Sanjay Gupta is an American physician and a contributing CNN chief health correspondent based in Atlanta, Georgia. An assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, he is also a frequent guest on the news program Anderson Cooper 360. "Charity Hospital" won a 2006 Emmy Award for Outsta ...more
More about Sanjay Gupta...