Start by marking “The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking” as Want to Read:
The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking

The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published 1968 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Walker

Carlos
This book for me was life changing. From car camping I graduated into longer distance back pack trips and picked up a real love of the beauty and unpredictability of nature.

The knowledge gained here is somewhat dated and focused. "Freedom of the Hills" now covers winter camping, rock climbing and mountaineering.

Sadly, the author died from health complications from a car accident while out for a walk in Carmel Valley, Ca.
Maggie
read this book circa 1975 and the original hard cover book still sits proudly on my bookshelf. the most influential book of my entire hiking life. perfect. it will go into the pyre with me (i hope).
Billiam
Ignoring the outdated technical info, a few enjoyable hours may be spent browsing this book for gems of practical advice such as 'Gravy masculates any stew'.
Kennyo
I first read The Complete Walker in 1971 and some years later when I wanted to give it as a gift there was a new edition, later followed by a third and a fourth edition. The number of editions speaks to the popularity of this specialty book. Fletcher is a relaxing writer to read even while he metes out sage advice for walkers and campers and in each chapter I pictured a trip that could have gone better had I read it beforehand or remembered its lesson afterward. If you're a hiker, even an experi ...more
Dianna Russell
I read this many years ago and it was very helpful.
John Brooke
This book was my family's bible and source of reference for self propelling us into the natural world on our own 2 feet
Steve
I read this in the mid-70s. It forever changed the way I look at the wilderness and how to move in it. Outdated as far as gear and tech., but the "Joys" of hiking and backpacking will never age.
Brooke Gilley
A friend of mine let me borrow this. While the info was good it was a little bit dry and outdated. I ended up skimming the book rather than a straight read through.
Peter
Peter added it
Mar 22, 2015
Paul
Paul added it
Feb 16, 2015
Maisey
Maisey is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Don
Don added it
Jan 04, 2015
Omar
Omar marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Colin Fletcher was a pioneering backpacker and writer.

In 1963, Fletcher became the first to walk the length of Grand Canyon entirely within the rim of the canyon "in one go" — only second to complete the entire journey — as chronicled in his bestselling 1968 memoir The Man Who Walked Through Time. Through his influential hiker's guide, The Complete Walker, published the same year, he became a kind
More about Colin Fletcher...
The Man Who Walked Through Time: The Story of the First Trip Afoot Through the Grand Canyon The Complete Walker IV Thousand-Mile Summer Complete Walker III River: One Man's Journey Down the Colorado, Source to Sea