Start by marking “The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking” as Want to Read:
The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking

The Complete Walker: The Joys and Techniques of Hiking and Backpacking

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Published 1968 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Walker

Carlos
Oct 15, 2012 Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book for me was life changing. From car camping I graduated into longer distance back pack trips and picked up a real love of the beauty and unpredictability of nature.

The knowledge gained here is somewhat dated and focused. "Freedom of the Hills" now covers winter camping, rock climbing and mountaineering.

Sadly, the author died from health complications from a car accident while out for a walk in Carmel Valley, Ca.
Maggie
Jan 31, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
read this book circa 1975 and the original hard cover book still sits proudly on my bookshelf. the most influential book of my entire hiking life. perfect. it will go into the pyre with me (i hope).
Willerd
Ignoring the outdated technical info, a few enjoyable hours may be spent browsing this book for gems of practical advice such as 'Gravy masculates any stew'.
KennyO
Nov 24, 2014 KennyO rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read The Complete Walker in 1971 and some years later when I wanted to give it as a gift there was a new edition, later followed by a third and a fourth edition. The number of editions speaks to the popularity of this specialty book. Fletcher is a relaxing writer to read even while he metes out sage advice for walkers and campers and in each chapter I pictured a trip that could have gone better had I read it beforehand or remembered its lesson afterward. If you're a hiker, even an experi ...more
Dianna Russell
Sep 19, 2011 Dianna Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago and it was very helpful.
John Brooke
Apr 06, 2014 John Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my family's bible and source of reference for self propelling us into the natural world on our own 2 feet
Steve
Apr 25, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hiking
I read this in the mid-70s. It forever changed the way I look at the wilderness and how to move in it. Outdated as far as gear and tech., but the "Joys" of hiking and backpacking will never age.
Brooke Gilley
A friend of mine let me borrow this. While the info was good it was a little bit dry and outdated. I ended up skimming the book rather than a straight read through.
David
David rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Arnold Zigman
Arnold Zigman rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
William Hecht
William Hecht rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Mark Barnett
Mark Barnett rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Rick
Rick added it
Nov 06, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Molly Rose
Molly Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Scott Calkins
Scott Calkins rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
David Middleton
David Middleton rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Paul Rossetti
Paul Rossetti rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Chas
Chas rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Tom Felker
Tom Felker rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Bruce R. Arnold
Bruce R. Arnold rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Maisey
Maisey is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Jeffrey Ryan
Jeffrey Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Colin Fletcher was a pioneering backpacker and writer.

In 1963, Fletcher became the first to walk the length of Grand Canyon entirely within the rim of the canyon "in one go" — only second to complete the entire journey — as chronicled in his bestselling 1968 memoir The Man Who Walked Through Time. Through his influential hiker's guide, The Complete Walker, published the same year, he became a kind
More about Colin Fletcher...