Start by marking “Come In Spinner” as Want to Read:
Come In Spinner

Come In Spinner

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  7 reviews

An acclaimed novel which explores what life on the home-front was like for Australian women in WWII. Come in Spinner was an immediate sensation when it was first published in an abridged version in 1951.
Set in a beauty salon at the Hotel South Pacific in wartime Sydney, it revolves around the life and loves of three women, Deb, Guinea and Claire. Their romantic entanglemen

Paperback, Imprint Classic Complete Edition, 711 pages
Published 1990 by Angus & Robertson (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Come In Spinner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come In Spinner

Jillian
I don't know how a miniseries could ever have done this justice. I haven't seen the original abridged version so I have no idea how much and what parts were cut. There were several rather irritating moralising sections (I found Deb's character overall quite irritating) but I think they were probably important to show the views and social tensions in place the the time. It's amazing to think that all this really went on, and even more impressive that a pair of young women were brave enough to wri ...more
Angus Mcfarlane
Regarded by some as a 'classic' Australian novel, I initially thought it was going to be a "New Idea" novel of gossiping women in a salon of little interest to me (despite begninning with my nearly namesake). I realised in the end that the salon gossip was instead a clever satire of the airs and prejudices held by various 'classes' of Australian society during the 1940's (and thereabouts). Expresses well the disdain held in Australia to those who would seek to place themselves above the 'everyda ...more
☼♄Jülie
Jun 16, 2013 ☼♄Jülie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Aussie stories.
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie by: Ironically a friend from New Zealand.
I was loaned a copy of this book many years ago and found it so thoroughly absorbing that the characters stayed with me long after the story had ended. I remember telling everyone to read it! It was hard to find any copies of it around, so when I recently saw a new release of it on the shelves again with a new cover, and promptly bought it to keep with my collection of favorite "Aussie" books. I will read it again.
Fiona
Great novel set in WW2 Sydney. Fragmented narrative that cuts between characters, giving a view of several social strata. Great insights into the time and place. Unlike most books, even now, the novel places the women as central and significant.
Deborah
Very long book. I read this for an Australian Lit. course and I managed to read all 700+ pages! It was fiction, but historical too and taught me a lot about Australian culture during world war II.
Li
I read it and loved it a long time ago, scouring op shops to find it again !
Pat
Mar 21, 2010 Pat marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The start of some good reading
Mrs D
Mrs D marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Lexie
Lexie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Holl
Holl marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
MaryG2E
MaryG2E marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Elya
Elya marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Vicki Matthews
Vicki Matthews marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Anne Johnson
Anne Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dymphna Cusack AM (21 September 1902 — 19 October 1981) was an Australian author. Born in West Wyalong, New South Wales, Dymphna Cusack was educated at St Ursula's College, and graduated from Sydney University with an honours degree in Arts and a diploma in Education. She worked as a teacher until she retired in 1944 for health reasons.

Cusack wrote twelve novels (two of which were collaborations),
More about Dymphna Cusack...
Say No To Death Heatwave In Berlin The Half-Burnt Tree Black Lightning The Sun in Exile