Start by marking “The Trials of Kate Hope” as Want to Read:
The Trials of Kate Hope

The Trials of Kate Hope

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It's 1973 in Denver, Colorado, and Kate Hope is fourteen years old. She's a normal teenage--she has a boy friend, who is kind of but not really a boyfriend. She has disagreements with her loving and slightly overprotective mom about how late she can come home (on her bicycle) and how short her skirts should be. Looking in a mirror makes Kate crazy, worrying about her curl ...more
Published April 21st 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Trials of Kate Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trials of Kate Hope

Alex Roma
Jan 17, 2016 Alex Roma rated it liked it
I give this three stars because the premise was great, the character was great, and the author himself is a lawyer, so he knew what he was writing about. Kate makes mistakes and she has to pay for them and it's embarrassing, which is great, because it feels like life. The setting was also enjoyable, and not in a sugarcoated way, and I mean, come on. It's a trial to save the life of a dog. If that doesn't get you, not much will.

I won't give it any MORE stars, though, because the writing itself wa
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

It's the summer of 1973. Kate Hope is just your average 14-year-old girl. She's got school to deal with (though it's summertime). She's got a friend who's a boy who she's not quite sure if he's her boyfriend or not. And, oh yeah, she's a lawyer!

Her almost-blind grandfather has had Kate helping him in his law office for the past few years. With his failing eyesight, he's needed help with the reading and researching of his cases. And he found a loophole in C
Val
Nov 22, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
I bought 3 "for teens" books at a local library book sale. My granddaughter wanted to keep them here for those times she felt like ready when visiting. I thought I would give them a go myself. Held my interest and took me back to the days of angst and confusion..LOL Although I was NEVER as focused and driven as this child. EVER.
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 23, 2012 Lisa the Librarian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle school girls
I really enjoyed the time I spent with Kate (except for that annoying thing where I kept wanting to call her Katie, no clue why).

It is hard to believe that this book was actually written by an older man. The voice of Kate is very young and fresh. The story is told in first person and was totally believable as a young teenage girl. The circumstances were a bit far-fetched, in that through some loop-hole 14 year old Kate is officially a "real" lawyer who has taken and passed the bar exam but has n
Becky
Jul 08, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Downing, Wick. 2008. The Trials of Kate Hope.

This one was just too much fun. Fun might not be the right word. By fun, I don't mean it's fluff. I don't mean it lacks any in substance or heart. I just meant that I liked spending time with it. That I really really enjoyed it. I loved Kate. And I loved her Grandpa. More than I ever thought I would to tell you the truth. Set in 1973 in Denver, Colorado, it follows the life of a most unusual fourteen-year-old. Kate Hope. Lawyer. Yes, lawyer. She's the
Jasminem
Oct 18, 2012 Jasminem rated it really liked it
The book, THE TRIALS OF KATE HOPE by Wick Downing glows with great story telling. This Historical Fiction story takes place in Denver, Colorado in the 1940s. Kate Hope, a girl who is only 14 has became a lawer for two clients, one who has a dog that bit a baby, and another client who is suing an employee for stealing. Will she win the cases or not? You must read the book to find out. I enjoyed how the book was very good at making sure you felt like you were in the story. I recommend this book to ...more
Karen Pickard-Four
Jan 25, 2009 Karen Pickard-Four rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
YA-Great one for the middle school set. The story centers around Kate Hope, a 14 year old lawyer (due to an old case on the books she is allowed to practice law in Colorado) who defends the downtrodden. Set in Colorado in the early 70's, the story is full of feminist diatribe for the younger set. Kate practices under the tutelage of her blind grandfather and has help from her Mom and best friend, Mike. Like Camryn of the Forensic Mystery series by Alane Ferguson, Kate is a competent young woman ...more
Katie
Mar 17, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Such a great story!
Kelly
Oct 22, 2008 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
Fourteen year old female lawyer in Denver, CO (1973). After her beloved father and older brother are killed in a traffic accident, Kate Hope starts spending most of her free time with her grandfather, an attorney. After studying law for two years, she becomes a lawyer by way of a loophole in CO territory law that had been carried over into CO statehood. Her big cases involve a legal Mexican alien accused of stealing tools from a former employer and a dog accused of attacking a baby.
Percyjfan
Sep 19, 2012 Percyjfan rated it it was ok
I'll update this later, but for now:
I think other users know what I mean when I say I think her name should be Katie not Kate. Having a 1st name with 2 syllables and a last name with 1 sounds better. Just my opinion.

Also, I wish the book went into more detail about (view spoiler). That was the most interesting part of the book for me so I really wanted to read more about it, cause it seemed to have no relevance to the story.
Emily
Sep 15, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
Enjoyed seeing the justice system through the eyes of a fourteen-year-old lawyer. I often feel like Kate--that the justice system is a duel between whose lawyer is better. Watch out for explanation points in this book!!! Their frequent use was distracting from the story and the several times the MC broke down crying! But hey, she's fourteen! I think I cried a lot at that age, too! (See, isn't that totally distracting?)
Hope
Feb 12, 2011 Hope rated it it was ok
This book was okay. I only give it three stars because the author didn't have a very good hook, nor did this book keep me reading. But, being the exesive reader that I am, I finished it. The plot was good, but not very gripping, and it was all to easy to figure out the ending. I would not recommed this book, it bored me, to say the least. But, have a go at it, see what you think.
Caitlinleah
Dec 31, 2009 Caitlinleah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-o-week
can you believe the library doesn't have this? i was so sad i had to buy it for myself. just reading the first 3 chapters from my book of the week club i was instantly engaged and it was hard to wait this long to read it. it was very fullfilling and i do hope it becomes a series. yay for smart girls in unusual professions! very legally blond.
BDMS IMC
6th grade top pick by Kiarah
I love this book because it is about a girl the is trying to still succeed her life time even though her dad and her brother died. So she decides to be a lawyer and she is only 14. I love this book also because she is achieving her goal.
Tammy
Jan 16, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it
This is a book that my Mother-in-law gave my 9 year old daughter. I'm reading it and so far it is interesting. It is about a 14 year old girl in Colorado who through a loop hole gets her law license and starts practicing with her grandfather.
Lizzie Upchurch
Sep 29, 2013 Lizzie Upchurch rated it liked it
This book gave me a better understaning of the law. It also showed me that though justice isnt always fair everyone deserves a trial, even a dog. Times were also different back in the 1970s, as this book was set in,and I liked that as well.
Brittany
Jan 01, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it
I do like this book a little bit. It is about this girl who wants to be a lawyer when she grows up but she is already tecnically a lawyer because she already has a huge cause on her hands!!
Terry
To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub. ...more
Cinnamon
I liked the book, but it lost out of other things that I was reading at the time. I will pick it back up later.
3m!ly
Feb 22, 2012 3m!ly rated it really liked it
Its wasnt my favorite but i liked it enough to finish it!
Ell
Oct 28, 2010 Ell rated it really liked it
This is one of my all time favo0rite books.
Mike
Jan 07, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
Entertaining young adult read about girl lawyer.
Tiffany
Jan 15, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves:
??? NOT dhat far in it ..
Beth
Dec 05, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
great
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it did not like it
Jul 20, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Micki
Micki added it
Jul 01, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it did not like it
Jun 27, 2016
Mahua
Mahua rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • The Mystery of the Missing Everything
  • The Other Side of Blue
  • Jump Ship to Freedom
  • Dancing Through the Snow
  • White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2)
  • Spies of Mississippi: The True Story of the Spy Network that Tried to Destroy the Civil Rights Movement
  • The Harp and the Ravenvine (The Keepers #2)
  • Noonie's Masterpiece
  • The Big Nothing
  • The Wonder of Charlie Anne
  • A Scaly Tale (Ripley's Bureau of Investigation, #1)
  • PhotoPlay!: Doodle. Design. Draw.
  • The Year of the Bomb
  • Shifty
  • The Ostrich Conspiracy (Platypus Police Squad, #2)
  • Lost in Lexicon: An Adventure in Words and Numbers
  • Wild Horses (The Horses of Half Moon Ranch, #1)
Wick Downing has been in the business of writing for a long time. His first novel was published in 1974, by Saturday Review Press, which at that time was a division of E. P. Dutton & Co. The hard-cover edition cost $5.95.
His early work was mystery and suspense and brought him some great press. Charles Willeford, a legendary reviewer for The Miami Herald, rated two of his first three novels as
More about Wick Downing...