Start by marking “The Jungle Book” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  70,184 Ratings  ·  1,491 Reviews
"Oh hear the call! Good hunting all - That keep the Jungle Law! -Night-Song in the Jungle
When young little Mowgli's parents are run out of their camp by a formidable Bengal tiger, the toddler scampers to safety alone in the cave of a Seeonee wolf pack. Thereafter forest animals succor Mowgli and through his wits and their kindness, he reaches adulthood.
Paradox exists in th
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2004 by Tantor Media (first published 1894)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 01, 2016
    Enter to win a finished copy!

Rudyard Kipling’s classic collection of fables gets reimagined in this deluxe four-color collectible volume, featuring st

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 2026 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 03 - Feb 17, 2016

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

Manny
    We are the masters of our planet, but we are not very good masters. We are, in the blunt phrase I saw a zoologist use the other day, a plague species. Sometimes, one feels the world would be better off without human beings. This isn't necessarily a counsel of despair or treachery. Our true loyalty should be not to mankind but to our genes, and most of those genes are to be found in other species who are far less destructive. It would almost be a relief if the beautiful and savage animals we shar ...more
    Apatt
    Oct 01, 2015 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    “Welcome to the jungle
    We've got fun 'n' games
    We got everything you want
    Honey, we know the names”

The opening poem of The Jungle Book: “Now Rann the Kite brings home the night” etc. is much more elegant than Axl Rose’s effort, but I feel it would be much nicer for you to read it in the context of the book.

Now if you are looking for a review from someone with an in-depth knowledge of Rudyard Kipling’s works you had better look elsewhere. My Kipling-fu is so feeble I did not even know The Jungle Boo
    Kristen
    No this is not your Disney movie - Kipling wrote a fantastic series of short stories, only a few of which include Mowgli. Baloo is not a lazy idiot, Kaa is not a bad guy, SherKahn is killed rather then run off, the wolves are not always the noble good guys... this is VERY different then our cotton candy Disney film. And so much more enjoyable for it.

Also included are the tales of Rikki Tikki Tavi, the Elephant Dance, and the White Seal. I would have to say that my favorite is Rikki Tikki Tavi, h
    Nandakishore Varma
    IMO, Rudyard Kipling is the worst example of the quintessential British Imperialist and Colonialist. His attitude towards India is contemptuous and condescending. As a person, I dislike him intensely.

Kipling writes beautifully. His stories are simple, engaging and profound at the same time. As a writer, I love him.

This is a childhood favourite. I read it first in translation, and then in the original. This is a true classic - it works for one as a child as well as an adult.
    Terry
    Rudyard Kipling’s _The Jungle Book_ is an enjoyable read. A collection of short stories, all of which revolve around the lives and troubles of different animals and the people who interact with them, it has a surprising amount of depth coupled with rather pleasant prose. The most famous of these stories are probably those that revolve around Mowgli, the jungle boy raised by wolves in India whose adventures with Baloo the bear and Bagheera the panther against the machinations of Shere Khan the ti ...more
    Amber Tucker
    Aug 13, 2010 Amber Tucker rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: hardcore children's lit fans
    Lesson learned from this book: having been much- and long-beloved does not automatically make a book worth reading.
    The only particular reason I picked this one off my shelf was the feeling it's a "classic" of children's lit, which I felt slightly ashamed of never having had a chance to enjoy – I assumed must be classically marvellous. (I mean, I don't know if I ever even watched the Disney adaptation all the way through. I was actually expecting all Mowgli stories. More than half are not, act
    Lynne King
    Two weeks ago I arrived at Aberdovey, a small seaside village on the Dyfi estuary in west Wales. So to discover sun, and thus an ideal day for the beach, I needed a book. Having no luck finding a bookshop, and minus my Kindle, the young man in the pub mentioned that the RNLI were selling books. So when I saw the smiling face of Mowgli on the cover of “The Jungle Book”, well I had to purchase it and also support the Lifeboats as they do such marvellous work.

I had read this collection of short sto
    Olga Godim
    Apr 25, 2014 Olga Godim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: classics
    Last time I read The Jungle Book was years ago, to my son, when he was a preschooler. I didn’t remember much before I started this read. It might be that I only read him selective stories, because my memory of the stories was sketchy. Mowgli – aye, all of them, even the ones included in the other Jungle book. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi – yes, of course. But I don’t remember ever reading The White Seal or a couple other stories, so my impression of them is fresh.
    The entire book is simplistic on the surfac
    GoldGato
    This classic story by Rudyard Kipling, telling of the adventures of Mowgli who is raised by wolves in the jungles of India, gets the Ingpen treatment. That is, the illustrations are by Australian artist Robert Ingpen, who brings the animals to life in the best edition I have seen of Kipling's tales for children.

This is the hour of pride and power,
    Talon and tush and claw.

Kipling. His pen could write with a silver tongue. The sounds and denizens of the jungle come alive with his words. Now add th
    Werner
    Apr 06, 2008 Werner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: Fans of stories about animals and/or jungle adventure
    Shelves: classics
    Lost in the jungles of 19th-century India (the book was first published in 1894) as a toddler, little Mowgli is rescued from the vicious tiger Shere Khan by an adoptive family of wolves, who raise him as part of their pack. The author's various species of jungle animals exhibit many traits and behaviors characteristic of real ones (Kipling was born and raised in India, and his setting is depicted with a deftness born of first-hand observation); but he also endows them with a culture and language ...more
    PurplyCookie
    Kipling pours fuel on childhood fantasies with his tales of Mowgli, lost in the jungles of India as a child and adopted into a family of wolves. Mowgli is brought up on a diet of Jungle Law, loyalty, and fresh meat from the kill.

"The boy could climb almost as well as he could swim, and swim almost as well as he could run; so Baloo, the Teacher of the Law, taught him the Wood and Water Laws. Then, too, Mowgli was taught the Stranger's Hunting Call, which must be repeated aloud till it is answere
    Paul
    Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is an excellent dramatisation of a classic tale. I'm not going to review the actual book other than to say that if you only know 'The Jungle Book' from the Disney movie, you owe it to yourself to read the original book. It's more than a little different.

This dramatisation is really good. The cast is superb and they all do a fantastic job of bringing the characters they are voicing to life. The sound effects are also amazing as is the general production value. I'm not usually a fan of music
    Kelly Ferguson
    Jun 19, 2012 Kelly Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: classics
    You know you've been in grad school when...you can't read a children's classic without analyzing its Orientalist perspective. To read this book then, you have to do that thing where you forget there's been advances in social perspectives and take Kipling as a product of his time—a British colonialist.

Now that we've gotten that over with, I was surprisingly spellbound by these tales of Mowgli and his jungle friends. Kipling had me in a thrall, and I wanted to believe this fantasy of being raised
    The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
    A unique classic. Before you watch Disney, try reading the real thing. This is a wonderful book for young and old alike from the scary snakes to the crazy wicked monkeys to the terrifying tiger and the cool and powerful panther. This is a classic story that needs to be read.

Five stars. It's a hugh favorite.
    John
    Jul 16, 2012 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This collection, including all of Mowgli's stories as well as Rikki-tikki-tavi, was culled from Kipling's original, two volume collection of jungle stories. I like the thematic continuity of this volume, and including the mongoose story as a capstone played very well to my young audience.

Mowgli's journey as a boy raised among wolves resonates on a deeply human and humane level. Kipling clearly stacks the deck in favor of the animals--at least those who operate according to the Law of the Jungle-
    Kit
    Nov 14, 2013 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Reread from childhood; it is amazing to me how much a book like this instantly returns me to the feelings I had as a child. This book inspired many playtime fantasies of being raised by wolves and having to fend for myself, making me feel more powerful and confident than I usually felt as a shy middle child. I even had a black cat, Thomas, who I cast as Bagheera, to play along with me.

The poetry is my favorite part of the book, to be honest. I can't count the number of times I used the rhythmic
    Jim Peterson
    It takes a lot of talent to write for children. The writing must be kept simple, but it can still be beautiful. Best of all, these stories must be exciting and very imaginative, something I also love in books for adults. The best children's stories, however, can be enjoyed by people of all ages - and The Jungle Book is definitely one such story.

If you only know the Disney movie, check this out.

Remember, it is written by a Nobel prize-winning author, so it qualifies as Literature with a capital
    Eustacia Tan
    Oct 14, 2011 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ebook
    Previously, I only knew about The Jungle Book if it was the Disney movie, which I didn't even watch. The show looked a little infantile and frankly, I didn't really get it.

Later on, I read and loved The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I heard was based on The Jungle Book. Interesting, but still not enough to get me to read it.

Finally, I read The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy. In it, they quoted The Jungle Book's "We be of one blood, thou and I". After meeting all these instances of
    Rikke
    The first time I read "The Jungle Book" I was appalled by how far it was from the Disneyfied version I had expected it to be. I couldn't seem to wrap my mind around it and separate the long-held associations between the book and the movie - so I just gave up. Simple as that.

Upon reading it now several years later, I can finally appreciate the book for what it really is: a beautiful fragment of childhood-fantasies and adventures, intertwined with a very vivid cultural glimpse of Kipling's beloved
    Patrizia O

«In considerazione del potere dell'osservazione, dell'originalità dell'immaginazione, la forza delle idee ed il notevole talento per la narrazione che caratterizzano le creazioni di questo autore famoso nel mondo»

Questa è la motivazione del Premio Nobel che fu attribuito a Kipling nel 1907. Il “Libro della Giungla” non mi sembra che rispecchi in pieno tale motivazione.
    Ho trovato la scrittura di Kipling scorrevole e i racconti gradevoli, ma non particolarmente appassionanti. Sono storie ch
    Faith Spinks
    Of course I know the Disney version of the Jungle Book but when I came across it browsing potential Kindle titles I realised I had never actually read the Rudyard Kipling original. And since it was also free as a Kindle book it had to be done.

I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed The Jungle Book story and couldn't read it fast enough. Thankfully, sitting on a plane meant that sticking with the story really wasn't a problem. Even though the original story is in many ways very different to the
    Huy
    Jan 08, 2016 Huy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: nobel
    Tuổi thơ của mình mê phim hoạt hình này lắm, thích chú gấu bụng phệ với chú báo hào hiệp :3.
    Nên dĩ nhiên mê mấy truyện về Mowgli, mấy truyện còn lại thấy hơi chán :P
    Duffy Pratt
    Apr 22, 2013 Duffy Pratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I can hardly believe I did not read this book as a kid, and really all I knew of Kipling are a few poems and quotations, and his reputation (which may very well be undeserved) for being an obnoxious imperialist. I'm going to have to scold my parents the next time I see them. How could this not have been in my kids library?

Frankly the stories here are a mixed bag, but the best of them are quite wonderful. I especially liked the opening story, the tale of Mowgli being kidnapped by the Bander Log,
    Natalie
    Apr 23, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My thoughts to this book almost mirror what I thought when I reviewed Treasure Island and Swiss Family Robinson. These books were written a long time ago. I'm not perfect when I read books, especially older books as I often criticize the stories, the writing, etc. However, I'm trying to take a wider view of things. These books were written long ago. Thoughts and perceptions of what were right, wrong, acceptable and not acceptable were vastly different from today.

After reading this book, I read a
    Issie Cassidy
    Sep 14, 2013 Issie Cassidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reviewed
    I decided to read this book because it was mentioned in another book that I was reading called the haystack. Because I didn't recognise the characters (I haven't seen the movie)I decided that I needed to read such a classic book.

This book completes the category "A classic book written before the 1950's". This book was published in 1894 and was written by Rudyard Kipling. This book has been enjoyed by tons of people around the world. Lots of people mistake the book for being a children's book bec
    Sidharth Vardhan
    I had always thought that Jungle book is about Mowgli but this book contains many other stories. There are many differences from Disney movie.
    Kipling has got to be most reader friendly writer with such easy language and such nice humor. He gives you characters that are cute, strong and deep at same time. The animals' characters are mostly derived from their original nature - and through out the book, you shall notice use of such strong observations that could be made only by lover of animals(rem
    sarafem
    I feel almost like a traitor to the Children's-Book-Lover Club when I say this, but I hated this book. I can't really tell you any specific reason for it, but I thought it was stupid and boring and a waste of paper and time. I suppose it had a great moral about humans learning to honor wildlife and nature, and for that I have great respect for what this work has done for the world. But for me, someone already on that bandwagon, the book sucked. To put it eloquently.
    Ben
    Feb 16, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: adventure
    The Jungle Book is a classic collection of children's tales. In this collection, Rudyard Kipling introduces his readers readers to beloved heroes like Mowgli, the boy raised by wolves and Rikki-tikki-tavi, the cobra-fighting mongoose. Kipling's stories are immersive, humorous, and highly enjoyable. Children should love things like the talking animals and the rapid pacing of most of the stories while adults should enjoy the subtle hints of grown-up humor Kipling incorporates.

In the end, I enjoyed
    Kirsten
    Oct 16, 2012 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I loved 'The Jungle Book'. It was new to me because I had never watched the famous movie version of the story and didn't know it existed. The main characters were Mowgli (a boy raised in the jungle by wolves), his new parents (mother and father wolf), Shere Khan (the antagonist tiger who preyed on the weakest creatures), Baloo the bear (similar to a sheriff), Tabaqui (the jackal), Akela (the leader of the wolves), and Bagheera (the jaguar that helped Mowgli learn new things in the jungle). In t ...more
    Davyh
    Feb 08, 2013 Davyh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling is a collection of short stories. There are three short stories about Mowgli, and there are then four other stories that are unrelated to him. They are each based on a different character and a different story. You have Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Toomai, and Kotick.
    The first three short stories of The Jungle Book revolve around Mowgli. Mowgli is a man-cub, abandoned by his parents and found by Bagheera. Bagheera took Mowgli back to the jungle to be raised by a wolf fa
    Around the Year i...: The Jungle Book, by Rudyard Kipling 3 17 Dec 27, 2015 02:16AM
    Goodreads Librari...: New Jungle Book Cover 3 18 Sep 01, 2015 07:59PM
    • Pinocchio and His Puppet Show Adventure (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
    • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
    • Walt Disney's Peter Pan (Disney Peter Pan)
    • Lady and the Tramp (Disney: a Little Golden Book)
    • Pinocchio
    • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
    Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
    More about Rudyard Kipling...

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” 204 likes
    “Now, don't be angry after you've been afraid. That's the worst kind of cowardice.” 39 likes