Suite 606 (includes In Death, #27.5)

Suite 606 (In Death #27.5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,540 ratings  ·  125 reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb headlines a hot new anthology of paranormal romance.

FEATURING A NEW EVE DALLAS NOVELLA.

J.D. Robb plunges Lieutenant Eve Dallas into the violent aftermath of a ritualistic murder.

Mary Blayney, investigates a deception that has kept two lovers apart for years.

Ruth Ryan Langan brings a lost man out of a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 344 pages
Published November 4th 2008 by Berkley (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Suite 606, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suite 606

Julie (jjmachshev)
How in the heck do I rate "Suite 606"? This is a collection of four paranormal romantic suspense stories by four different authors, and I had four very different reactions.

First up (and the overwhelming reason to buy this sucker) is J.D. Robb's "Ritual in Death". Here we're treated to the latest doings of Eve and Roarke. When the glittering society party Roarke and Eve are attending is interrupted by the appearance of a very nude, very bloody man with a knife, Eve thanks whatever god is watching...more
Peejay Who Once Was Minsma
Like all of the anthologies in this series by J. D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas, the Robb and McComas stories are the best—and the chief reason I buy these books. Robb because I'm a long time fan, and McComas because she has a wonderful flair for character and puts them into some cleverly imaginative stories. I really wish she wrote more, but alas, these anthologies seem to be her main output. The Blayney and Langan stories are sometimes okay, but not generally muc...more
Jeeperz96
Again, an anthology with one good one, one ok and the rest throw-away. The JD Robb was up to her standard. I can't figure why she publishes with other writers.

The last one by Mary Kay McComas was at least worth the first read and it was cute how she tied all the others to her story.

The one by Mary Blayney was terrible. We are supposed to have heard of some centuries-old mythical room, "Suite 606" where fantasies come true. STUPID, BADLY WRITTEN!!!

Ruth Ryan Langan's - not much better. The only t...more
SF_Reads (Mod)
for the love of all this is holy Nora Roberts please stop publishing your wonderful novellas with the rest of this pablum as it fills me with an unholy rage.
Barbara ★
This is an anthology which I usually hate because the stories are too short and there is little or no character or plot development. This one was no different.

Ritual in Death by J.D. Robb was terrific but only because this is book 27.5 in a series and there were 27 other books to develop character and plot. And don't forget the steamy shower scene between Eve and Roarke - at the police station no less.

Love Endures by Mary Blayney was boring with very flat characters and a debauched dead husband...more
Jenn
When I read a series, I feel like I have to read everything in it, in order. Otherwise, I'd never have gotten this one. I'm not a fan of the short story either. Since the same authors in this book are the same ones in the LAST collection I read in the In Death series, I felt pretty secure in not reading those stories at all. I've not heard of the other three authors and my previous experience reading their stuff in these anthologies has not proven to be worth my time or effort.

So, the Robb story...more
Debbie
This is an anthology with four stories there for basically four reviews. It seems a bit long but it covers all four stories as individuals.
Ritual in Death by J.D. Robb
When a naked stranger covered in blood and holding a knife crashes a party, lieutenant Eve Dallas goes into action. Along with her husband Roarke, the owner of the hotel that the party is taking place in, they try to unravel not only who the stranger is but where all the blood came from. Finding a body in Suite 606 added the qu...more
Gina
A great anthology!

Ritual in Death by J.D. Robb ~ While attending a fancy party, Eve and Roarke are thrown into another mystery when a stranger, naked and covered in blood head to toe, holding a knife in his hand, stumbles into the room from down the hall. But Jackson Pike doesn’t remember what happened, and the more he tries, the more the pain in his head becomes intolerable. Other witnesses are like Pike: unable to remember and too much pain. But that doesn’t stop the team from bringing down th...more
LibraryLass
J.D Robb's Ritual in death - 4 stars - awesome as per usual, but too short

Mary Blaney's Love endures - 3 stars - good. I liked all the characters in this one. Summer was not too wimpy (just a bit). It did have the standard 'mis-understanding cos of no communication' thing going on which has stopped me from reading historical romance (which used to be my absolute favourite) for the last 8-9 months.

Ruth Ryan Langan's Cold case - 1 star - could not like this one no matter how I tried. I did not lik...more
Cynthia Armistead
I only read the story by J.D. Robb. I glanced at the other three, but they're primarily romance stories, which do NOT interest me.

The whole point of these little anthologies is to introduce readers who enjoy an established author's work to other, similar authors, right?

I know that J.D. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. I know that the stories she publishes as NR are romances. If I saw an anthology anchored by an NR story, I'd expect it to be full of romances.

However, I don't read the NR stuf...more
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
Cherise
This is a novella containing 4 short stories from 4 different authors.

Ritual In Death by J.D. Robb – This is the 33rd book (when including novellas) in the In Death Series, taking place shortly after the events in Salvation in Death. While at a swanky party Homicide Lt. Eve Dallas and her husband Roarke become aware of a grizzly murder that has taken place on scene.

This is my favorite story in the book, no surprise there. I like any story where Eve is forced to step outside of her carefully dra...more
Cherisse
Lori Ehrman
Nov 25, 2008 Lori Ehrman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any J.D. Robb lover
J.D. Robb's contribution "Ritual in Death", lives up to other novella in this series as being pretty good. That said, I find myself always a bit dissatisfied by the novella in that one of the reasons I like Robb/Roberts so well is her character developments, and the novella don't have the proper length to do that. Fortunately for me "Salvation in Death" arrived in Fridays mail so I'll get a proper serving of Eve, Roark and friends as soon as I finish Suite 606.

Mary Blayney - I'm not a Blayney fa...more
crayolaab
I'm marking this as fantasy, though I don't think that's quite the right category. It's a set of four novellas/short stories all involving "Suite 606" in some fashion. I picked this up because it has an Eve Dallas story by J.D. Robb, which is a pen name of Nora Roberts'. This is a series about a cop in the future, so far I haven't read any of these books but I have been curious. I thought a short story would be a good way to sample it.

Well, I enjoyed the J.D. Robb story but the other three were...more
Tyler
This book was very good. There were four stories in all and to me two out of the four were good. I didn’t think "Love Endures" or "Wayward Wizards" were that interesting but they were okay. After all they were all best sellers. I would happily recommend this book to anyone that has not read it yet. If you like thriller/romance, type of books you would enjoy reading this book. This book was very suspenseful, surprising and exciting to read. Now I'm not a big reading fan but when I get into a good...more
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Barely readable. The only story I was able to finish was "Ritual in Death" by J.D. Robb, and even then I felt short changed. Eve was just surly (well, more than usual), and poor Roarke was reduced to silliness.

I found the writing of "Love Endures" by Mary Blayney very poor, and the characters were all unlikeable. If this story is representative of her writing, I will not pick up any more.

"Cold Case" by Ruth Ryan Langan was somewhat better, and the story was interesting, but I found the emotional...more
Kris
I love books like this. All the authors write very well, and I'm going to see about checking out more books by some of them.

Originally I checked it out for the Eve Dallas story - I'm trying to catch up on the In Death series - but I enjoyed all of the stories very much.

Anna Mcfadden
wow, we got another book with short stories by J. D. Robb, Mary Blayney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McCombs. If you read and pay attention you will see links in all 4 stories but u must read the first 3 before the 4th or u won't recognize the links. Love the book must read
Fedora
Great set of romance/mysteries. Ms. Robb's was creepy as all get out, but so well written. I also enjoyed the other three stories and appreciated the authors' little tie-ins. Definitely worth the read.
Clarissa
As usual, JD Robb's was great.

The second one: weird but mostly readable.

Third: skimmed through a lot of it. Glad I did.

Fourth: better than I was expecting. Liked the premise and the characters.
Nancy
Finished: January 26, 2009.

This is a book containing four novellas.

Ritual in Death by J.D. Robb
Love Endures by Mary Blayney
Cold Case by Ruth Ryan Langan
Wayward Wizard by Mary Kay McComas

I always read the complete book of novellas to see if I like the other authors in the book. I was unable to appreciate the writing of Mary Blaynet, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas. I am not saying that I will not read other works by these authors, it is just I wasn't able to get involved in these particul...more
Jessica Degarmo
Eh. Really, the JD Robb story was the only one I really enjoyed. The others were so contrived and silly I skimmed through them and didn't really connect with any of the characters. It seemed to me that the Suite 606 element was forced into some stories. It just didn't seem to fit into the other plots. In my opinion, if you have to try that hard to put something into a plot, it doesn't work.
I love JD Robb and I did enjoy the story, although it wasn't the best of hers I've read. The other In Deat...more
Mo
JD Robb's Eve Dallas story (Ritual In Death) was the main reason I read this compilation. Love that series.

Mary Blayney's Love Endures fell flat for me in regards to both the characters & the storyline. And the mention of the magic coin... I think this story was a play on one she might've had in a previous compilation I've read.

Ruth Ryan Langan's Cold Case was lame. Didn't care for the characters or the storyline.

Mary Kay McComas' Wayward Wizard started out slow but somewhat redeemed itsel...more
Tammy Mutka
This book is actually a compilation of 4 stories by different authors. They each write a story in which they have a suite 606 in the story.

It was interesting the read the 4 authors to get a feel of them and their writing. I liked them in this order

JD Robb - 4
Ruth Ryan Langan - 3
Mary Kay McComas - 4
Mary Blayney - 3.5

If I were to suggest this book - I would skip story 2 and recommend story 4 only if you like it after 1st chapter. Story 1 and 3 were very fast enjoyable reads.

All 4 stories were para...more
Alexis
***SPOILER*** The J.D Robbs novel was ok . It was rushed but there was no loose ends. The rest of the books were ok story lines but all to rushed and some had loose ends or didn't make sense on how they ended in the end. I didn't read the last novel because I was burnt out on crappy books. The 3rd story seemed really promising and it gets your attention but the ending doesn't even make sense or tie the whole story together. I was very disappointed in tis book. I wish J.D Robbs just took the whol...more
Joji
Read only In Death story.
Diana
I don't know how Nora Roberts does it. I'm so-so on the books under her own name, but absolutely thrilled with her In Death series as JD Robb. I like how she balances out a crackin' good mystery each time, even in a short story like the one here. Plus, I'd love to be Eve.

The other stories are iffy. Each author includes the motif of a Suite 606 in their story, and some of them are a little lame. E.g. a magic room where imagination comes true. Blegh. It's a keeper just for the Eve Dallas story.
Darcie
This book is 4 short stories beginning with J.D. Robb's (Nora Roberts) futuristic detective Eve Dallas and her husband, Roarke, investigating a strange interuption to a very upscale party they're attending involving Suite 606. Each story happens in a different place and time. All involve a bit of "magic" and Suite 606. Throughout the remaining stories, small details within each story connect it to the stories read before. It's an interesting and enjoyable approach to the mystery novel.
  • Once Upon A Star
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)