Start by marking “Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)” as Want to Read:
Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)

Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  21,308 Ratings  ·  1,203 Reviews
Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett)
Published February 2nd 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Run for Your Life, please sign up.

Giuseppe Ruotolo Hi Laura, just finished it. It's better than Crack. There are a couple of F-words. I didn't have much issue with that. If you like Patterson you will…moreHi Laura, just finished it. It's better than Crack. There are a couple of F-words. I didn't have much issue with that. If you like Patterson you will enjoy it.(less)

Phrynne
Jul 19, 2016 Phrynne rated it really liked it
The second in this series about Michael Bennett, a detective whose wife has sadly died and has left him with ten (yes ten!) children. So a rather unusual setting for a crime novel but it works. At least it does for me!
In this story the murderer is unusual too as in the sheer number of murderous events. Our hero holds it together while all of his family are falling around him with flu, and the murders become very personal. Of course the sequence of events, culminating in a crazy finale, are quite
Shiela
Looking for a book that reads like the latest Jason Statham movie? Patterson’s thrilling Michael Bennett series are the books for you. Leaving off from Step on a Crack, Michael and his ten kids are thrown back into turmoil after the death of Michael’s wife. To make life a little harder, the kids all come down with virulent flu right when Mike is assigned to his latest case. A devious serial killer dubbed “the Teacher,” is on the loose in New York City murdering the rich, powerful and arrogant. T ...more
Cheryl
Feb 07, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
A sadistic killer is on the loose in New York City. He calls himself the “Teacher”. He is going around punishing everyone from the girl talking on her phone to the top elite of New York. The teacher reminds everyone to remember your manner or suffer the consequences.

Detective Michael Bennett a trained hostage negotiator is promoted to the lead investigator on this case. He is instructed to solve these murders quickly. Detective Bennett’s training kicks in and he is off in full force. At first i
Lee Kyle
Jan 25, 2012 Lee Kyle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read any of the other Bennett books by James Patterson
Recommended to Lee by: Jamespatterson.com
Fantastic gripping book, page by page! Although having read all of Patterson's books featuring Nypd supercop Michael Bennett, I'd have to say Run For Your Life was the best of the lot! Also have to note if their was one book that they should make a major motion picture of, it would have to be this one as well.

After the outcome of the crimes of the first book in this series Step On A Crack were said and done it didn't mean that Nypd cop Mike Bennett could simply live life with his brood of a fam
Jan
Sep 18, 2009 Jan rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-copy
Apr 06, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Sarah by: My mother
I was 24 pages in before I decided I had much better things to do with my life than read this. I couldnt stand the style of writing - i felt like I was reading something with too simple of sentences. Maybe its just against the kind of style I like, but I honestly felt like this was horrible writing and I just couldn't wait it out long enough to see if the plot went anywhere interesting.
Maria Elmvang
Mike Bennett, NYPD homicide detective, is facing the worst nightmare of his life. His children are all sick, and he can't even stay home to take care of them, because a maniac calling himself "The Teacher" is running around Manhattan killing the rich, the snobbish and the rude. It would appear that nobody in the upper circles can count themselves safe, but what Mike really wants to know is how the victims are chosen! Is it just a random sampling? Or are they all connected somehow? When the kille ...more
Debs
Jan 31, 2010 Debs rated it really liked it
Well, Patterson has a new hero in the form of Mike Bennet, NYPD.
Wonder what he's like?
If you're a follower of Patterson's books, you'll probably guess that Bennet...
1: Is single or a widower
2: Has children and a small select group of important family and friends.
3: Has many skills including negotiating and profiling. In fact, he's pretty darn good at anything that comes his way.
4: He's handsome and any woman's idea of a 'good catch' (supposedly!).

Oh no, forgive me. The above seems to be a descri
Matt
Sep 03, 2015 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standard JPat. Action packed story about a cop tracking a serial killer. This time it is a cop with a dead wife and 10 kids who are all sick while he is tracking a guy who is trying to teach the world a lesson (but really just getting revenge for a long lost brother).

The weird thing about this is the prologue involves some guy getting shot by an unknown sniper, and then the last scene has riots because of it, but they never really deal with it. I assume that will be covered in the 3rd Michael Be
Drina Steinberg
Mlako. Moze to Dzejms mnooooogooo bolje.
Ryosuke
Oct 02, 2009 Ryosuke rated it really liked it
If there's anyone out there who was looking for a good thriller, the book you’ve been looking for is Run for Your Life by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. This book is the sequel to Step on a Crack, but you'll have no trouble understanding even if you haven't read the first one.

This was one of those books that have nonstop action on every page. Mike Bennett, a detective who works for the New York Police Department, must track down a deadly killer, who calls himself "the Teacher" and is on
Alyssa Worster
Oct 07, 2016 Alyssa Worster rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I would read it a million times over if I had the time. The plot keeps you interested. The overall back story that you find out at the end is amazingly revealing. You read the whole book without knowing the purpose of why the killer does it. But it is so worth it.
Jack
Feb 05, 2014 Jack rated it it was amazing
All in all I really did enjoy this book and found it an easy read. It is the first James Patterson book that I have read and it has led me to go out and buy many more. This title from what I can tell is the second in the ‘Detective Michael Bennett’ series, but without reading the first I had no problems understanding any of the storyline.

The book made me personally want to keep reading to find out not only the detectives next move in response to the crimes being committed, but also to keep rea
Brandon
Nov 21, 2013 Brandon rated it it was amazing
Book: Run for your Life
Author: James Patterson

Throughout the book there is treachery, death, and murder. To briefly summarize the book it is about a tired, widowed cop who is trying to get by day after day with work and his family when he is called on a special case to track a slick murderer, The ‘Teacher”. The teacher is a handsome, well groomed man who wishes to rid New York of its rude and arrogant population. I think a mask is a good symbol for the book due to the fact that a mask covers u
Sean Tay
Feb 26, 2012 Sean Tay rated it really liked it
Why I decided to read this book: I've known for some time that the author James Patterson has thrilling books so I searched around the library for this particular author and eventually found this book which was worth the looking.

This book fits under my 'Your Own Choice' section of my bingo board since it has no other genres that it would fit into.The categories it would've gone into are crime,adventure,mystery,thriller which i didn't have in my bingo board.

My favourite quote from the book is:He
Shonda
Feb 22, 2009 Shonda rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
When I read Step on a Crack, the first novel featuring Michael Bennett, I did not know it was the start of a new series. Michael Bennett is a character that is easy to like. He’s a dedicated police detective, but sometimes fantasizes about a career change. He’s determined to make the streets of NYC safe. At the end of the day, Detective Bennett wants to be a great dad to his ten children. Having just lost his wife to cancer, Mike tries to pick up the pieces and move on while dealing with his gri ...more
Linda Alexander
Dec 29, 2012 Linda Alexander rated it really liked it
This is most definitely an action packed drama that holds one's attention to the max! I appreciated the home scenes with the 10 children the detective has, and all the issues that go with having a family of that size. What made the home scenes so real and draws the reader in full empathy mode is the flu 'bug' having hit the household as well. Poor guy is chasing his tail trying to figure out who is doing all the killings, and then comes home to his kids being seriously ill besides. He tries to g ...more
 Jenny
Jul 09, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
I read this book for our diet office book club at my work. I am not really a fan of James Patterson's writing, but he can tell an okay story. I would almost give this novel a 2.5/5.

I shouldn't have admitted to my co-worker that I can identify with the murderer. She gave me the strangest look.

I couldn't really connect with Bennett. I didn't believe that he loved his children. It seemed like he was just going through the motions. And, even if Bennett inherited a multi-million dollar apartment, w
Kristy
Feb 21, 2011 Kristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, mystery
I gave this book two stars because, while I thought the actual plot was pretty good, it didn’t really live up to my expectations. The characters were a little too mundane, in my opinion. Having said that, it wasn’t necessarily bad, but it really wasn’t good either, so for me it was about average.

The one thing I did like is the plot twist near the end. I kind of saw it coming, but it was still pretty good. The story is told from the homicide detective’s point-of-view as well as the murderer, whi
ReaderSP
Oct 17, 2012 ReaderSP rated it it was ok
Ok, so I am a huge James Patterson and I love his stuff but he has really gone downhill lately. I was in two minds whether or not to bother with his latest novel.
I have been really disappointed with the latest Alex Cross novels and I am left confused by his latest character Michael Bennett. Is this not just the same character?!?! I could not separate the two. There are differences in the number of children they have etc but basically they are the same person.
The story follows Michael Bennett as
Don M.
Jan 25, 2015 Don M. rated it liked it
This is the second "Michael Bennett" book. Detective Bennett is on the trail of a murderer known as "The Teacher" who is out to teach the rich people of New York to mind their manners. If the don't they die. In the meantime, Michael Bennett is fighting a flu epidemic at home with his ten children. (It tells you this on the back cover, so no spoiling things here).

My feeling about the flu situation was a bit mixed at the start. There are only so many ways you can handle projectile vomiting, but af
Alyssa Botte
Jun 25, 2016 Alyssa Botte rated it it was ok
Kevin
Apr 27, 2009 Kevin rated it it was ok
Natalee
Michael Bennett returns in Run for your life, the second in the series. Michael returns to us with his nanny and 10 kids after his wife died in the first book. This time he is faced with a killer calling himself 'The Teacher'. He goes on a killing streak killing people in New York. At first it seems random but a pattern seems to emerge after someone identify's who they think the teacher is. On top of this, all of his kids have the flu and are vomiting everywhere!
The book is a typical short chap
Gail (myJunegirls)
Jul 28, 2009 Gail (myJunegirls) rated it it was ok
At some point, I am going to have to accept that James Patterson sold out and I can't read his books anymore. I LOVED his Alex Cross series when it first came out. I keep reading the new books in the series (since I love Alex's character so much) and have been repeatedly disappointed.
JP's latest book, was.....I don't even know what to say. The whole backstory of the family having the flu was just odd. The current pop culture references just seemed like they were thrown in whenever they came up.
Sep 01, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
i have to say that i was surprised. i had read a michael bennett book not that long ago. there were several things that i didn't like and more importantly, didn't believe. this book was different i actually liked it. the killer was amazing and the fact that he committted murders in broad daylight in heavily populated areas was even better. the character of bennett was still lame though. this book was a quick read though and it reminded me of the old james patterson that i loved reading all the t ...more
Leona Bodie
Aug 07, 2011 Leona Bodie rated it it was amazing
RUN FOR YOU LIFE is another page-turner for James Patterson. I never expected any other James Patterson protagonist to match or exceed Alex Cross, who by the way is still my favorite. But, picture an ice cream cone with another flavor. Detective Michael Bennett comes close. He comes off as ordinary Joe, but as the story speeds up, he becomes your likeable best friend – he’s a 3-dimensional family man, a recently single father with his hands full and a high profile detective who delivers a five s ...more
Andrula
Aug 20, 2011 Andrula rated it liked it
Michael Bennet reminds me of Alex Cross, although I like this last one better. At least Cross is a loner who catches killers for a living. For some reason Bennet's character is presented as a widower with... wait for it: 10! adopted children and a full time NYPD detective job.
It just did not convince me, I don't want to feel sorry for the guy trying to catch the killer, I just want him to get things done without worrying about his kids vomiting in his bathtub!
I was also expecting him to get inv
Megan Sides
Mar 31, 2011 Megan Sides rated it it was amazing
I belive the teacher was a bit wacked up but the way he thought about it and timed it was perfect! Mike though was hard to relax with 10 kids with the flu and the nanny has a little twinkle in her eye for Mike. When the mass killing sprees start Mike is on the job except when the teacher.......... well thats for me to know and you maybe to find out.

To everybody who reads this book you are my bloody murder buddy! 3:D
Jun 17, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
well after months of not reading I have finished a book and it did get me a emotional.

generally the plot is similar to many of James Pattersons many books however the main character Mike is definately one of his best.

The ending definately got me emotional so although the story was samey I felt his writing was stronger in this book than some of his others.
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • Loitering with Intent (Stone Barrington, #16)
  • Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • The Payback (Dennis Milne, #3)
  • The Alibi Man (Elena Estes, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Michael Bennett (10 books)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)
  • Tick Tock (Michael Bennett, #4)
  • I, Michael Bennett (Michael Bennett, #5)
  • Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • Alert (Michael Bennett, #8)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)
  • Haunted (Michael Bennett #10)

“You know the pop is coming, but damn if it don't always surprise you.” 3 likes
“He was the Teacher, the world was his students, and class was about to begin.” 2 likes