The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness

The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In 1982, business guru Tom Peters co-authored In Search of Excellence, one of the most influential business guides of all time. More recently, through 400 seminars in 47 states and 22 countries, Peters reexamined, refined and reinvented his views on innovation--the #1 survival strategy, he asserts, for businesses of the next millennium.

The Circle of Innovation brings these...more
Published May 25th 1999 by Vintage (first published November 4th 1997)

Francis Fish
Had this book on tape and listened to it many times back in the early noughties. I was writing a blog post about "The Agile Heart" (http://goo.gl/aBCae) and quoted from it, so I got a second-hand copy from Amazon to verify the quote, my tape player having gone the way of all flesh a while ago. Still need to change the quote, but there you go.

Thing is, even now, nearly 15 years after it was first published, it's a gem. The style is designed to look like his presentations, with a slide-like set of...more
Brooks
Not great...maybe because this is older and so many more recent books have covered the same material...Some gems...
"It is easier to kill an organization that to change it"
You don't leap a chasim in bound - avoid incemental improvements.
Promote fast prototyping - Forget professional, Provoke.
Any on-going responsiblities or work try to convert to a project with milestones and budget. Don't accept on-going drudgery.
Jim Razinha
I'm not a fan of management gurus or stream of consciousness writing and yet I liked this book. For whatever reason, Tom Peters has resonated with me since I first saw his In Search of Excellence tape in 1992. What he has to say makes great sense and his message gets better over time. The Circle of Innovation is a blend of quotes, thoughts, and exclamation points all in Peters's enthusiastic, staccato style. It's like I'm reading Emeril. Bam!

Peters spews page after page (do note that this is an...more
DS Hendler
"15 truths = 1 big truth."

I get the luxury of reading this book 10 years after it came out. It's difficult from this side of history to tell if he helped cause certain things or was just describing them. For instance, the "white collar revolution", which he sees as a wonderful thing. Turns out to be a lot of job-insecurity, paranoia, and back-stabbing.

His joy at the emergence of the 20-somethings leading silicon valley and parts elsewhere, people eagerly "forgetting" instead of "learning", help...more
Jim Dooley
I was fortunate to be in the seminar audience the day that Tom Peters said he was unveiling his CIRCLE OF INNOVATION. It caused quite a stir that day.

One fellow told me that Tom Peters was essentially collecting the work of others in this book, but I pointed out the copyright date. If you've heard most if this before, I'd hazard a guess that it was from others who jumped on the Tom Peters bandwagon.

I find the writer's work to always be provocative, although he did upset some folks this time with...more
Nicholas
This book was hard to digest, it's like the author was on speed while menacingly jotting words down. Its several years old now and very outmoded, you could skim through for some gold nuggets but they are sparse
Richard Stephenson
This was not only extremely fun (though his style and format took some time... like 30 pages... to get used to) it was terribly inspiring! I love thi...moreThis was not only extremely fun (though his style and format took some time... like 30 pages... to get used to) it was terribly inspiring! I love this out-of-the-box stuff that just seems to make so much sense. It may be over a decade old now, but I'm glad I ran across this one.
Abhilash
Tom Peters’ THE CIRLCE OF INNOVATION is that stuff written, my apologies, presented by Tom in a way different from the traditional style of book. Pages depicting slides of a presentation and words that are in parentheses representing Tom’s heart. The Circle has to be in a hatke style because it is about innovation after all. Hats off Tom you made an impact.
Jim
I was a charter member of the Tom Peters fan club during my "business" days. Unfortunately I never had the chance to work for an organization that glommed on to his ideas. Still, watching his seminars is always inspiring and fun, and his books, for the most part, are quenching sips at the business revolution kool-aid.
David Hooper
This is a good "big idea" book. I would recommend it for entrepreneurs and inventors as they're the ones who will get it best. It's a quick read that shouldn't take you more than an evening to get through.

If you're a fan of Seth Godin's material, you'll like this one.
Peachesxyz
probably the best i have read as far as innovation or survival in business guidlines go..read this and the purple cow and you are off to point of no return ..he he he loving it ..:-)
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on innovation for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs.
Teri Temme
Fantastic. Thought provoking. Most excellent read. Read it. Today.
Abdulaziz Al-ghamdi
Another must-read! Fantastic, insightful, brilliant & rich..
Eric Rickey
From The Ten Must-Read Books in Love Is the Killer App
Nadiah
A book that give you ideas on how to run your business.
Rushikesh
inspirational book by tom Peters
Nathan
Kind of weak. Yay positive energy!
Deric Loh
Jul 04, 2007 Deric Loh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
Shelves: tompeters
Innovation Matters !!
Shaya Smile
Shaya Smile marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
James
James added it
Jul 01, 2014
Fabrício
Fabrício marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lee
Lee added it
Jun 12, 2014
Remy
Remy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Per
Per marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Age of Unreason
  • The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Nuts!
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • Glimmer: How Design Can Transform Your Life, and Maybe Even the World
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • 1001 Ways to Reward Employees
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • The Flight of the Creative Class: The New Global Competition for Talent
  • Business @ the Speed of Thought: Succeeding in the Digital Economy
3119590
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan...more
More about Tom Peters...
In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!