Start by marking “The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!” as Want to Read:

Michael Goldhaber, writing in Wired, said, "If there is nothing very special about your work, no matter how hard you apply yourself you won't get noticed and that increasingly means you won't get paid much either. In times past you could be obscure yet secure -- now that's much harder."

Again: the white collar job as now configured is doomed. Soon. ("Downsizing" in the nine
Published September 21st 1999 by Knopf (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work)

Molly
Feb 05, 2013 Molly rated it liked it
this style of writing is, I imagine, what it is like to have a 4 hour conversation with someone who is on crack for the entire 4 hours we're conversating

that being said there's a lot of good stuff and calls to action and small things to make a big impact, it was enjoyable in content, even if the layout was vertigo inducing
Audrey
May 18, 2010 Audrey rated it it was amazing
The "The Brand You 50" by Tom Peters was a quick read, but the overuse of exclamations!!!!!!, bold type, ALL CAPS, font changes, and h-y-p-h-e-n-s was tedious and kind of juvenile.

Once I got past that, it was a solid read that gave me a few new ideas. I recommend this book for the person that is just realizing that it is not just what you know, but WHO you know and WHAT they know about you. I picked out the most relevant pieces by identifying what I wanted to remember (which I added to my learni
Felix Castro
Sep 06, 2007 Felix Castro rated it really liked it
This book is a survival guide for today's workplace. Baby Boomers who grew up with jobs-for-life and don't understand the modern workplace, read this book. Generation X and Yers changing or starting a career, read this book.

No one will sell you better than you. Treat yourself as a brand.
Jason Yau
Jul 28, 2011 Jason Yau rated it it was amazing
I almost stopped reading this book after the first few (of fifty) chapters because it was so over the top and kept talking at me like I was in the HR or IS dept (nothing against them, but I'm not). Once I got past the over the top and repetitive style, I started to really engage with the ideas - brand yourself, do meaningful work, build your resume and your network.

This book is inspiring and makes you really think about how to stretch yourself. It provides tons of concrete ways to develop an act
Jeff
Jan 18, 2017 Jeff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who want to stand out in the business world
Shelves: business
While there's a lot of good stuff to think about, Peters's method of transmitting that information is a bit (way?) over the top. We do indeed have to think of ourselves as brands, and realize the only way to have hope of excelling in the business world is to market ourselves impressively. That being said, however, I would caution you against his at times overt beliefs that putting these branding projects above pretty much all else in life is essential. Take what you will from this book, but thin ...more
Jeff
Sep 15, 2007 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who does not intend to die in the next week
Maybe it's a load of rubbish. It is certainly quite manic. But even if in some way it is not true, it is incredibly useful.

Do you want others to yank our chain, or would you rather call the shots? In an entropic world there's not much that one would want to follow.

The past is a mix of genius and misanthropy. AKA 'culture'.

This is about making your own way through high mountains and dark valleys.

Exciting!
Jay A. Yap
Feb 07, 2014 Jay A. Yap rated it liked it
The content of this book is for the most part, excellent. The style...er..not so much. I understand the desire to communicate enthusiasm but, oh my goodness, Tom Peters must hold the world record for putting the most exclamation points in a book. The design is seriously distracting and it undermines his otherwise trenchant points.
Tania Lukinyuk
Apr 20, 2014 Tania Lukinyuk rated it did not like it
Really really bad. A lot of useless bullshit irrelevant to making yourself a brand. Digusting writing style which leaves no chance to summarize key points. And in addition to that, all 170 pages of the book can be summarized in one phrase: choose one unique project for yourself and work hard at it. How innovative is that?!!!
Jerel Bonner
Jan 21, 2016 Jerel Bonner rated it liked it
This book, was written well ahead of it's time and is spot on. It is full of actionable things you can do to manage your career in todays "Flat World" Tom Peters identified the importance of marketing and managing your career as a company before Thomas Friedman wrote about it in "The World is Flat"

It is an easy and quick read with a clear message.
Holly
Jan 21, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok
While there are nuggets of sage advice and doable action items, the style of the book is disjointed and makes it difficult to extract the gems. I pushed thru and am only moderately glad that I did.
Dina
Oct 02, 2015 Dina rated it really liked it
That book is serious business, no but really. It's a weird book, it's almost if the book could talk, it's incredible, at first i find it annoying but after a few chapters i grow into loving it. It's a very easy read, though there are dome great ideas.
William Teo
Some good pointers. Highly unusual style of writing. But, that's one way to distinguish oneself.
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it it was amazing
A must-read book on personal branding as you manage your career.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it it was amazing
I frequently and enthusiastically recommend this book. Peters helps you think about your strengths and how to make them clear to others.
Dan Pfeiffer
Nov 06, 2013 Dan Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
I dust this one off from time to time which means I found it useful and frankly, inspirational to read.
Caroline
Nov 01, 2009 Caroline rated it liked it
Compact punch to the gut. I believe in diversified, not highly specialized. Get off your butt and go, do, make your life. Before that rut makes you.
Tom
Sep 15, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
I like Tom Peters style and summaries the many ways that the workplace has changed through technology.
Ramy Khodeir
Sep 27, 2012 Ramy Khodeir rated it liked it
My apply but not for every culture
Rex Libris
Geronimo Stilton meets career advice.

The book has much valuable information; but like all "business" books, it is a lot just common sense that could be summed up much more succinctly.
Sergio
Jan 05, 2014 Sergio rated it it was amazing
Un Inspirador libro sobre el cambio y la necesidad de desarrollar la #marcapersonal como estrategia de supervivencia. Recomendable 100%.
Kathryn
Mar 09, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
It's over the top, outdated, and the exclamation marks get old. HOWEVER, it's a great read to get you to stop acting like an engineer.
Justus
Oct 19, 2011 Justus rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Tom Peters at his motivational quirky self. Interesting read.
Jamie
Dec 30, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
One of my early career inspirations
John Barton
Apr 28, 2013 John Barton rated it liked it
I am a Tom Peters fan, but I wouldn't say this was one of his best- however still worth a look !
Lesley Looper
This was a quick read, with a number of ideas for personal/career development. The frequent use of caps and hyphens was a little wierd, but otherwise, this book was an easy read.
Flat
Jun 21, 2011 Flat rated it it was ok
Shelves: career, nonfic
The writer sounds manic-depressive.
Nataliya Stelmakh
Jul 31, 2012 Nataliya Stelmakh rated it liked it
Some parts are amazing, some parts are ordinary, still a worthy reading
Tony Wong
Jul 09, 2013 Tony Wong rated it it was amazing
Conscious raising. Good perspective to view yourself and have a better idea of how to market yourself.
Flavil Hampsten
Aug 21, 2011 Flavil Hampsten rated it liked it
Its a good book to realize that you are a brand...even if you're an entry level employee you have to manager yourself and your perception to others.
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • Take Your Time: How to Find Patience, Peace, and Meaning
  • The Brand Called You: The Ultimate Personal Branding Handbook to Transform Anyone into an Indispensable Brand
  • The Message of a Master: Classic Tale of Wealth, Wisdon, and the Secret of Success
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • Make a Name for Yourself: Eight Steps Every Woman Needs to Create a Personal Brand Strategy for Success
  • Effective Immediately: How to Fit In, Stand Out, and Move Up at Your First Real Job
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • How to Drive Your Competition Crazy: Creating Disruption for Fun and Profit
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Say It with Charts
  • The Adventures of Anybody
  • Mavericks at Work: Why the Most Original Minds in Business Win

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
3119590
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan ...more
More about Tom Peters...