Start by marking “The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Michael Goldhaber, writing in Wired, said, "If there is nothing very special about your work, no matter how hard you apply yourself you won't get noticed and that increasingly means you won't get paid much either. In times past you could be obscure yet secure -- now that's much harder."

Again: the white collar job as now configured is doomed. Soon. ("Downsizing" in the nine
Published September 21st 1999 by Knopf (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brand You50 (Reinventing Work)

Molly
this style of writing is, I imagine, what it is like to have a 4 hour conversation with someone who is on crack for the entire 4 hours we're conversating

that being said there's a lot of good stuff and calls to action and small things to make a big impact, it was enjoyable in content, even if the layout was vertigo inducing
Audrey
The "The Brand You 50" by Tom Peters was a quick read, but the overuse of exclamations!!!!!!, bold type, ALL CAPS, font changes, and h-y-p-h-e-n-s was tedious and kind of juvenile.

Once I got past that, it was a solid read that gave me a few new ideas. I recommend this book for the person that is just realizing that it is not just what you know, but WHO you know and WHAT they know about you. I picked out the most relevant pieces by identifying what I wanted to remember (which I added to my learni
Felix Castro
This book is a survival guide for today's workplace. Baby Boomers who grew up with jobs-for-life and don't understand the modern workplace, read this book. Generation X and Yers changing or starting a career, read this book.

No one will sell you better than you. Treat yourself as a brand.
Jason Yau
I almost stopped reading this book after the first few (of fifty) chapters because it was so over the top and kept talking at me like I was in the HR or IS dept (nothing against them, but I'm not). Once I got past the over the top and repetitive style, I started to really engage with the ideas - brand yourself, do meaningful work, build your resume and your network.

This book is inspiring and makes you really think about how to stretch yourself. It provides tons of concrete ways to develop an act
Jay A. Yap
The content of this book is for the most part, excellent. The style...er..not so much. I understand the desire to communicate enthusiasm but, oh my goodness, Tom Peters must hold the world record for putting the most exclamation points in a book. The design is seriously distracting and it undermines his otherwise trenchant points.
Holly
While there are nuggets of sage advice and doable action items, the style of the book is disjointed and makes it difficult to extract the gems. I pushed thru and am only moderately glad that I did.
Roman Grytskiv
Great idea, pretty informative but a bit trivial.
Nazar Popov
На любителя.
Tania Lukinyuk
Really really bad. A lot of useless bullshit irrelevant to making yourself a brand. Digusting writing style which leaves no chance to summarize key points. And in addition to that, all 170 pages of the book can be summarized in one phrase: choose one unique project for yourself and work hard at it. How innovative is that?!!!
Jeff
Sep 15, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who does not intend to die in the next week
Maybe it's a load of rubbish. It is certainly quite manic. But even if in some way it is not true, it is incredibly useful.

Do you want others to yank our chain, or would you rather call the shots? In an entropic world there's not much that one would want to follow.

The past is a mix of genius and misanthropy. AKA 'culture'.

This is about making your own way through high mountains and dark valleys.

Exciting!
Sergio
Un Inspirador libro sobre el cambio y la necesidad de desarrollar la #marcapersonal como estrategia de supervivencia. Recomendable 100%.
Lesley
This was a quick read, with a number of ideas for personal/career development. The frequent use of caps and hyphens was a little wierd, but otherwise, this book was an easy read.
Jamie
One of my early career inspirations
Flavil Hampsten
Its a good book to realize that you are a brand...even if you're an entry level employee you have to manager yourself and your perception to others.
Kathryn
It's over the top, outdated, and the exclamation marks get old. HOWEVER, it's a great read to get you to stop acting like an engineer.
JP
I frequently and enthusiastically recommend this book. Peters helps you think about your strengths and how to make them clear to others.
Tom
I like Tom Peters style and summaries the many ways that the workplace has changed through technology.
Tony Wong
Conscious raising. Good perspective to view yourself and have a better idea of how to market yourself.
Dan Pfeiffer
I dust this one off from time to time which means I found it useful and frankly, inspirational to read.
William Teo
Some good pointers. Highly unusual style of writing. But, that's one way to distinguish oneself.
John Barton
I am a Tom Peters fan, but I wouldn't say this was one of his best- however still worth a look !
Anton
Too much screaming (by the author), but a good read with some insights and 9more) motivation
Nataliya Stelmakh
Some parts are amazing, some parts are ordinary, still a worthy reading
Justus
Tom Peters at his motivational quirky self. Interesting read.
Lori Grant
A must-read book on personal branding as you manage your career.
Deric Loh
Brand YOU !
Get it ?
Read it !!
Flat
The writer sounds manic-depressive.
Ramy Khodeir
My apply but not for every culture
Caroline
Compact punch to the gut. I believe in diversified, not highly specialized. Get off your butt and go, do, make your life. Before that rut makes you.
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • Career Distinction: Stand Out by Building Your Brand
  • Thinking Body, Dancing Mind: Taosports for Extraordinary Performance in Athletics, Business, and Life
  • Small Graces: The Quiet Gifts of Everyday Life
  • Take Your Time: How to Find Patience, Peace, and Meaning
  • Leaders: Strategies for Taking Charge
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Selling the Dream
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • University of Success
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Principles Of Corporate Finance
  • The Adventures of Anybody
3119590
Born in Baltimore in 1942 "with a lacrosse stick in one hand and oars over my shoulder," Peters resided in California, mainly Silicon Valley (where he was on a list of "100 most powerful people in Silicon Valley"), from 1965–2000. Today, Peters and his wife Susan Sargent live on a 1,600-acre working farm, "always under construction," in Vermont. His two stepsons, Max and Ben Cooper, are "busy chan ...more
More about Tom Peters...
In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times The Circle of Innovation: You Can't Shrink Your Way to Greatness

“GIVE THE WORLD A CLEAR PICTURE OF WHO YOU ARE.” 0 likes