Start by marking “The King of Thieves (Knights Templar, #26)” as Want to Read:
The King of Thieves (Knights Templar, #26)

The King of Thieves (Knights Templar #26)

The twenty-sixth novel in Michael Jecks's medieval Knights Templar series.
1325: Sir Baldwin de Furnshill and his friend Simon Puttock are in France guarding King Edward's son on his perilous journey to meet the French king, Charles IV. But they are unaware that King Edward's wife Isabella is disaffected and plotting her revenge?
What first appears a simple diplomatic miss
Published May 1st 2009 by Headline Book Publishing (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The King of Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of Thieves

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto EcoThe Last Templar by Michael JecksIvanhoe by Walter ScottDungeon, Fire and Sword by John J. RobinsonThe Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades by Jonathan Riley-Smith
Knights Templar
31st out of 98 books — 40 voters
Katherine by Anya SetonThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanWhen Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay PenmanTime and Chance by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Medieval England (Historical Fiction)
292nd out of 323 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Josh
Aug 08, 2010 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries or the medieval time period
I mistakenly made the error of reading this book without realizing it is just one in an unfolding saga about the Middle Ages, that it clearly has its place in the series with many previous events being alluded to and these new events paving the way for the next book to follow. At first this threw me a bit, but I soon became immersed into the story and was able to understand everything that was happening without having read the previous books, clearly a good sign of the author who was well aware ...more
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own
This book was great fun to write. I'd been looking forward to it for ages.

The Queen had gone to France to negotiate a peace with her brother, the King of France, and Bishop Walter of Exeter was placed in charge of the Prince. But when Simon and Baldwin arrive, they realize the Queen is causing a scandal with Sir Roger Mortimer, an exile from England. And then, while they rest in the Louvre, Baldwin and Simon uncover an assassination plot that could theaten England's future ...

The great thing ab
Debbie
Jan 12, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Love Jecks' series - Sir Baldwin and crew are engaging, multi-faceted and continue to grow despite being such a long series. I haven't been disappointed yet with any of his books. He is a detailed and careful historian who infuses the flavor of life in the middle ages into his stories.

I hate having to wait for these books to be published in the UK, and I actually got this book directly from Mike Jecks himself with his signature - he had offered signed copies of the book through his email newsle
Ruth
Sep 05, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-historical
c2008: FWFTB: France, homage, revenge, crown, secret. This was a slog. I was so bored that I started to clean out a cupboard rather than pick the book up again. I was looking forward to the book because the synopsis sounded great but I found the plot just meandering. I have not read all the books in the series so did not have the investment in the various characters to enjoy that part of the book. Apologies, but unable to recommend.
Carol
Mar 15, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, Baldwin and Simon are sent to France to guard the newly created Duke of Aquitaine who is to swear fealty to King Charles IV his Uncle. Bishop Stapledon is to go to he has the power to grant Queen Isabella funds but only if she returns to England which she refuses to do.
While they are there several murders take place two in the Kings palace and Bishop Walter is blamed, Baldwin and Simon must solve the crimes in order to protect the Bishop.
Tim Heywood
May 05, 2010 Tim Heywood rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
Set in Paris, Jecks shows the same attention to historical detail as demonstrated in his other novels. Nice intrigue, keeps guessing most of the way, nice to see a few twists and turns as a result of the political scheming.
Joshua
Feb 18, 2010 Joshua rated it liked it
If Jeck's had stopped before the last three chapters and rethought how he was going to end his mystery, I might have given it five stars. Still, I'm way too invested in the series to not read the next book.
Frederick-Ian Todd
Mar 04, 2012 Frederick-Ian Todd rated it really liked it
Loved the characters and the writing style which encompassed great humour and intriguing plots.Must look out for more.
Diana Marques
I expected more from this book, but it is a good book for those who like historical novels.
I liked it, but my expectations were a bit higher.
Randy Field
Randy Field rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2009
Alec Stewart
Alec Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Randal
Randal rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Jon Pennick
Jon Pennick rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Linda Humberstone
Linda Humberstone rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2012
Joy
Joy rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Loren
Loren rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Olga Cerpentier
Olga Cerpentier rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Richard Shaw
Richard Shaw rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Heraklia
Heraklia rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2009
Gillian
Gillian rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2013
Petra
Petra rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2013
Martyn
Martyn rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2010
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Martin Sloane
Martin Sloane rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fear in the Forest (Crowner John Mystery #7)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Isaac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)