Start by marking “Because I Said So!” as Want to Read:
Because I Said So!

Because I Said So!

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  129 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Offers readers a hilarious journey, underscoring the notion that a sense of humour is an essential parenting skill. This book affirms that parents are not alone in the daily chaos, struggles and joys of child-rearing.
Published April 1st 2009 by GuidepostsBooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Because I Said So!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because I Said So!

Kilian Metcalf
Dec 06, 2012 Kilian Metcalf rated it really liked it
I'm not a mom, but I know how to laugh. I've heard enough stories from friends to know that Dawn tells it like it is. Not since Erma Bombeck have I enjoyed reading about the challenges of motherhood. I chose not to have children, but I'm glad that there are wonderful women like Dawn Meehan who are doing the job and writing about it with wit and grace.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
I was trying to muffle my giggles as I lay next to my sleeping husband reading Because I Said So. As a mother to four, 2 boys and 2 girls (the three youngest born in three years) I sympathise with, the absurdity that is raising children. My children all have very distinct personalities, and it's not always easy to balance their needs and wants all at the same time. While they are the joy of my life, they are quite capable of driving me to the brink of insanity in seconds.
Meehan shares the famili
Travis
Jan 06, 2011 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
This book is based on the blog by the same name, which I started reading a couple years ago after seeing her humorous eBay auction for some Pokemon cards. So the blog is basically funny stories about her kids and it's amusing, though she irritates me occasionally and I every so often think of unsubscribing, but never seem to.[return][return]Anyway, I was given to understand that the book had a lot of new material, but it really, really didn't. Most was lifted directly from the blog, and the rest ...more
Stephy
Aug 20, 2009 Stephy rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Laughed my butt off reading this and nodding my head saying so true. I'm biased though as I've been reading Dawns blog for mons now. You can read it here http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/

One of the most popular mommy-bloggers thanks to a humorous eBay listing about her child's baseball which was circulated rapidly until she became a household name, Dawn Meehan offers readers a hilarious journey along with her six kids on madcap adventures, underscoring the notion that a sense of
Charlotte
Jul 17, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was ok
Because I Said So... is a collection of stories from her life as Mom. Sometimes funny, sometimes unique, sometimes cliche Dawn gives us a peek of her chaotic life. From baseball games to doing battle over messy rooms, her life isn't all that different than most moms. She just has to do it all by herself and sees humor in her situation instead of despair.

I grew up in a family of seven kids, so I have seen chaos up close and personal. I also have seen each parent working two or three jobs (out of
Clark  Isaacs
Dec 29, 2011 Clark Isaacs rated it really liked it
In May, 2006, Dawn Meehan auctioned on Ebay “a dirty old baseball” and it sold for $1,125.00! It was the humorous stories about her children the bidders really liked.

Dawn started a blog in June, 2007, to earn money while staying at home with her children. She auctioned Pokemon cards on Ebay that somehow mysteriously appeared in her grocery cart. Her wild daily experiences with 6 children spread through the net like “a virus.” She received 94,000 ‘hits’ a day from around the world on her blog. Sh
Tara
Jul 06, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Although, this book wasn't groundbreaking, it was a short and fun read. Dawn is a Mommy Blogger of...wait for it....SIX kids....Not only is she a mom of six kids, she is also a SINGLE mom. Whoah. Chew on that for a quick second. Some days I feel completely crazed and I only have ONE kid and a husband on top of that.

I normally review YA, fiction or memoirs, but occasionally I like to throw a parenting-type-sorta-memoir-sorta-lament-with-me in there. This book was funny, however it did feel sligh
Colleen H.
Jan 27, 2010 Colleen H. rated it it was ok
This author is the mother of six (that is not a typo) children. She has a very humorous blog that I was referred to by a friend, in which she talks about the trials and tribulations of raising her brood.

I enjoyed the blog so much that I told my sister about it, and in turn, my sister bought me the woman's new book (that came to be due to the huge following her blog has developed).

All in all, I was hoping for more. It was a very easy read...I think I finished it in
Lisa
Oct 25, 2011 Lisa rated it did not like it
I love mommy blogs and I love large families, so I really looked forward to reading this book. I had never read the author's blog so I started going back through some of her old posts as I was reading the book. Not only did I not find the book funny, but I found parts of her blog very discouraging. The author is a single mom who is also a stay at home with her children and as a working mother, I felt like she takes it forgranted. I also think it is perfectly natural to blog or brag about the cut ...more
Erin
Mar 22, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
2.5 I had read the author's ebay auction information for the Pokemon cards her son had snuck into the shopping cart during an excursion to the grocery store, and I thought it was hilarious, so I had high hopes for this book. However, while some parts were really funny (her letter of resignation is hysterical), the book feels really disjointed, as if Meehan has cobbled together bits and pieces from her blog and presented them as a book under several unifying headings. Also, the humor feels forced ...more
Heather
Jan 29, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
I was so excited to get this book because I read Dawn's blog and she is often funny. The book was only okay. I was hoping for something like a collection of blog posts, funny kid stories and what not. There were some little anecdotes, but nothing like I was looking for. I found myself skimming parts of the book because some of it seemed repetitive. I was a little turned off at how many times she had to mention that she has six children, thank you I got that the first fifty times it was mentioned ...more
Deborah
Although wonderfully humorous. I found the book very disrespectful in regard to her ex-husband. Considering Meehan confesses to being a Christian, I found this very unfortunate.
Barbara
Aug 05, 2009 Barbara rated it liked it
I read Dawn's blog daily and often laugh out loud at the escapades of her brood of 6. So I was anxiously looking forward to this book. I have to say, being halfway through it, I am disappointed. Her blog is much better. I will finish it-it is an easy quick read, but haven't laughed outloud once yet..a few smiles here and there, but still. Expected much more.

Finished it..had a few funny moments, but not nearly as good as her blog that I read regularly. Dawn does a better job with an informal blog
Jen
Mar 18, 2015 Jen rated it did not like it
This was an OK read. It wasn't bad, and you can read a chapter here and there because there's no storyline to follow. It's a humorous memoir of a mother of 6 based on her blog and inspired by an add to sell her son's baseball on eBay. Mostly it just made me stressed out reading about what a nightmare it is to take all of her kids shopping and how there is usually something like yogurt or peanut butter smeared all over the TV at any given time. But she loves her kids and finds humor in the every ...more
Dalaina May
Feb 15, 2013 Dalaina May rated it it was ok
Cute book, but that was it. About what you would expect to hear from a mom of a handful of kids - lots of messes and lots of chaos. There was not much of depth here, just cute, told-before stories. What I didn't like was the author's demeaning portrayal of her husband, "another one of the kids." I guess it is just a personal pet-peeve, but I really dislike the disrespect that is often heaped upon men for cheap laughs. I did, however, enjoy the pretty realistic stories. I think every mom can rela ...more
Larene
Apr 22, 2009 Larene rated it liked it
The author is the only non-friend/family member's blog that I read. http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/
She's won lots of blogging awards and has a fun Erma Bombeck style. So when she came out with a book, I wanted to read it.
It was fun, light, and entertaining. One of those books that make you feel good that you're a mom (and grateful that you're not raising her kids). I bought the book if anyone's interested in reading it.
Bree
May 22, 2012 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: help-me, non-fiction
I laughed so hard I cried. She is very honest and doesn't sugarcoat how things happen in her house. While she doesn't talk about the way she disciplines when the children do act out (this is the part I am struggling with now) at least I know that my little monster isn't multiplied by 6. I will be looking up her blog which started after a very popular E-bay posting of a baseball. Read it to find out what I am talking about.
Jenn
May 17, 2009 Jenn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kori
This book had me in hysterics! As I was reading I could completely relate to her stories. I don't have six kids and I can see how much harder it would be, but it made me feel good that it is not just me. I can still be a good mom and yell at my children when I'm frustrated. and yes my youngest is part monkey!!!! For all the mothers out there, this is definitely worth your time reading.
Magda
Jul 22, 2011 Magda marked it as to-read
I won this in a Goodreads First Reads contest in May 2009. They said, if you have further questions, please contact "Jen, who listed this book for giveaway," but I didn't and don't have any contact information, so I'm pretty bummed that I never received it and the library doesn't have a copy, so I still haven't read it.

Wah. :(
Dorothyd
Apr 25, 2013 Dorothyd rated it liked it
Shelves: true-stories, adult
I was a big fan of her blog a few years ago, so I grabbed her book when I found it on sale recently. Even if I don't think it is as goob as her blog posts, I still lover her sense of humour and her way of telling stories. It's a fun book to read.
Liz Thompson
Jun 04, 2009 Liz Thompson rated it it was amazing
I got a chance to meet and spend time with Dawn Meehan at several blogging functions and am very honored to be able to call her "a dear friend!"

Her book will be released next month and I will have a review available by the end of this month!
Stacie
Aug 02, 2010 Stacie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any parent
Shelves: parenting-books
This is a great book for any parent. Light hearted reading with lots of giggles and "yeah, I know how that is" going through my head. I feel like a much better parent now, knowing I am not the only one with a naughty toddler.
Kate
Nov 20, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Larene
Not super enlightening or thrilling (which I didn't expect it to be) but I have never laughed out loud while reading a book so much before! And it certainly makes me grateful I have my kids and not hers.
Shelley Buchanan
Jul 19, 2012 Shelley Buchanan rated it it was ok
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
Didn't finish it...it was ok. Has some funny stories, but not enough to continue to "pull" me in. It came due from the library, and I didn't really have an interest to finish it.
Nicki
Apr 21, 2009 Nicki added it
This is a very funny book by a mother of six who is also a blogger, AND who lives in the Chicago area, right near me! I love reading books by bloggers. Maybe someday I'll be one!
Chris
Jun 17, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Dawn is so funny and so real. I enjoyed every page and can't wait to get started on her next book. A must read for any parent!
Kristen
Jun 20, 2009 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
This was pretty disappointing. A lot of the material I had already read in her blog, and the rest wasn't all that funny.
Courtney Bonnet
Dec 21, 2011 Courtney Bonnet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I loved this book, she has a great sense of humor. I think parents will really enjoy this!
Mindy
Jun 10, 2010 Mindy rated it really liked it
Hilarious book about the truths of parenting. It was a good, light read!
  • True Mom Confessions: Real Moms Get Real
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • Organizing Magic: 40 Days to a Well-Ordered Home and Life
  • Soft-Spoken Parenting: 50 Ways to Not Lose Your Temper With Your Kids
  • Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts
  • Really Important Stuff My Dog Has Taught Me
  • I'd Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper: Loving Your Marriage after the Baby Carriage
  • Following Your Heart (Fields Of Home #2)
  • How to Survive Without a Salary: Learning How to Live the Conserver Lifestyle
  • Girl, Get Your Money Straight: A Sister's Guide to Healing Your Bank Account and Funding Your Dreams in 7 Simple Steps
  • How to Have More than Enough: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Abundance
  • It's a Girl: Women Writers on Raising Daughters
  • The Clutter Diet: The Skinny on Organizing Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Banish Clutter Forever: How the Toothbrush Principle Will Change Your Life