Start by marking “When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics” as Want to Read:
When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics

When God Goes to Starbucks: A Guide to Everyday Apologetics

More than ever, Christians are bombarded with tough faith questions from their pluralistic friends and neighbors. Many of these emerge as "anti-truth claims" and slogans we are all familiar with:
- Why not just look out for yourself?
- Do what you want--just as long as you don't hurt anyone
- Miracles violate the laws of nature
- Aren't people born gay?
Paul Copan has been a
Published August 1st 2008 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about When God Goes to Starbucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Goes to Starbucks

Pancho
Aug 01, 2012 Pancho rated it it was amazing
A good resource for Christians encountering common atheistic challenges. I especially like his treatment of homosexuality. Thoughtful, kind, thorough, fair, and unerringly orthodox; it is the best Christian coverage of the topic that I have yet discovered. He criticizes both sides in love and presents the truth with clear logic and strong supporting arguments. I highly recommend this as a resource.
Lois
Mar 15, 2015 Lois rated it liked it
This had been sitting on my kindle for awhile. I'd started it to see if I'd like it (I did) and then left to read other things. I just finished it. Naturally the title is what attracted me to the book. The author's premise is that talking about theology with a stranger, a "just happens" conversation in a coffee shop, is a common occurrence. I think he's right. People, in spite of the common adage to avoid talking politics and religion, really don't mind talking about God or asking their ...more
Karn Gray
Needs more than one reading

Two things: There is a great deal of detail, which is why more than one reading is recommended. But I think there's an overkill on homosexuality: 3 chapters on this one subject was just too much. Why is the church so obsessed with this one subject?
Samantha Adalia
Jul 05, 2015 Samantha Adalia rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Samantha by: Mags Yap
A brilliant eye-opener, and very helpful and relatable to my worldviews and apologetics especially at this critical time when people are asking questions this book has answers for!
Clive
Sep 13, 2008 Clive added it
So far this book is hysterical. I can't believe how funny this guy is...oh wait, he's serious. Shit my bad.
Rod
Sep 23, 2016 Rod rated it liked it
These are some pretty heavy conversations for Starbucks. But i'm game.

The problem is: who's willing to discuss and learn? Not anybody i'm generally meeting.
John
Jul 13, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetics
I give this book a weak 3 stars. I started out really bad with two chapters of something it seemed Copan could very little about. He opens with an discussion on Ayn Rands egoism, and compares it to individual relativism. This is a strawman, because Ayn Rand has nothing to do with individual relativism(although it's easy to think so), she strongly opposes it. Her philosophy is called Objectivism, because truth is objective, not relative.

There are some allright chapters in there, but most of the a
Carlos Rivera
Good starting point

I gave this book 3 stars, because it started out well as a guide on apologetics for Christians. However, the author slipped in at the end his view on which denomination is "right." He even went as far as throwing a few "theological punches" at other denominations, which turned me off.

He does include a few historical facts on Christianity, which may be useful whenever we get involved in discussions about religion.
Anna Rebecca
May 27, 2011 Anna Rebecca rated it did not like it
I'm not even sure where to begin. I have only ever stopped reading one other book in my life, and that was when I was about ten or eleven years old! This book just wasn't for me. The author's arguments seemed circular at best. I just couldn't get into this book. And it has nothing to do with not agreeing with the subject. Unfortunately, the book's presentation of the facts simply bored me to death!
Jerry Blackerby
Oct 30, 2015 Jerry Blackerby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author says he has enjoyed many hearty discussions at coffee shops, hence the name. The book is very interesting with many of the questions we are asked repeatedly by non-believers and responses for those questions.
Ben
Oct 17, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
I found this book to be strangely inconsistent. At times thought provoking & theologically sound, other times poorly reasoned and theologically questionable. In the end, it made me rethink some key issues (regardless of whether I agreed with Copan), and that's always a good thing
Nick Woodall
Jun 02, 2016 Nick Woodall rated it really liked it
This is a great little primer on apologetics. While it's meant to be a guide to discussing Christianity with non-believers, it gets pretty deep. Consequently, you will have to read it, and then form your arguments much more deftly and cogently.
Mike Norman
Oct 26, 2011 Mike Norman rated it it was ok
Shelves: apologetics
Found it very hard going and well... frankly boring! The arguments did not seem well presented and lacked any real substance which is a real shame. I feel the author missed a golden opportunity to interact with society. 2/10 and that is being generous.
Roger Phillips
Sep 10, 2015 Roger Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good post-modern apologetic

This book addresses questions that are likely to come up in conversations with a post-modern audience. The author does a good job of laying out truths in layman's terms and is gracious rather than argumentative. Good read.
Jeffrey Backlin
Aug 31, 2016 Jeffrey Backlin rated it liked it
Who could say no to apologetics and starbucks? Well, I could say no to starbucks. A good review and helpful intro.
Brad Kittle
Jun 21, 2012 Brad Kittle rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetical
Very good. Very specific on the topics. Good for folks dealing with the particular topics he is bringing up.
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Ronin Ronin
Ronin Ronin rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Karen Mccombe
Karen Mccombe rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2012
James
James rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Cat Hoort
Cat Hoort rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2009
Evan Knies
Evan Knies rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Landon Hauge
Landon Hauge rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2014
Daniel Rodger
Daniel Rodger rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
John Sheehan
John Sheehan rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Kevin Snider
Kevin Snider rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
  • Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith
  • Unspeakable: Facing Up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air
  • Seven Days That Divide The World: The Beginning According To Genesis & Science
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • Hard Questions, Real Answers
  • What's Your Worldview?: An Interactive Approach to Life's Big Questions
  • Jesus the Son of God: A Christological Title Often Overlooked, Sometimes Misunderstood, and Currently Disputed
  • Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship

“Virtually every predominantly Muslim country is either “not free” or “partly free”—with exceptions being Mali and Senegal. Despite the frequently cited Qur’anic passage that says there is “no compulsion in religion,” 0 likes
“President Thomas Jefferson, a Deist who believed Jesus to be merely a powerful moral teacher of reason, cut up and pasted together portions of the four Gospels that reinforced his belief in a naturalized, nonmiraculous, nonauthoritative Jesus. The result was the severely edited Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth Extracted Textually from the Gospels—or, The Jefferson Bible. He believed he could easily extract the “lustre” of the real Jesus “from the dross of his biographers, and as separate from that as the diamond from the dung hill.” Jefferson believed Jesus was “a man, of illegitimate birth, of a benevolent heart, [and an] enthusiastic mind, who set out without pretensions of divinity, ended in believing them, and was punished capitally for sedition by being gibbeted [i.e., crucified] according to Roman law.”1 Jefferson edited Luke 2:40, “And [Jesus] grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom,” omitting “and the grace of God was upon him.” This “Bible” ends with a quite unresurrected Jesus: “There they laid Jesus, and rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.” Deism’s chief motivation for rejecting miracles—along with special revelation—was that they suggested an inept Creator: He didn’t get everything right at the outset; so he needed to tinker with the world, adjusting it as necessary. The biblical picture of miracles, though, shows them to be an indication of a ruling God’s care for and involvement in the world. Indeed, many in modern times have witnessed specific indicators of direct divine action and answers to prayer.2 The Christian faith stands or falls on God’s miraculous activity, particularly in Jesus’ resurrection (1 Corinthians 15). Scripture readily acknowledges the possibility of miracles in nonbiblical religious settings. Some may be demonically inspired,3 but we shouldn’t rule out God’s gracious, miraculous actions in pagan settings—say, the response of the “unknown God” to prayers so that a destructive plague in Athens might be stayed. However, we’ll note below that, unlike many divinely wrought miracles in Scripture, miracle claims in other religions are incidental—not foundational—to the pagan religion’s existence.” 0 likes