Start by marking “Stuff” as Want to Read:
Stuff

Stuff

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This digital document is an article from The Futurist, published by World Future Society on March 1, 1998. The length of the article is 2692 words. The page length shown above is based on a typical 300-word page. The article is delivered in HTML format and is available in your Amazon.com Digital Locker immediately after purchase. You can view it with any web browser.

From t
Published January 1st 1997 by Northwest Environment

To ask other readers questions about Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuff

Enerel
Nov 02, 2013 Enerel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Very informative!!! Sustainability class instructor required us to read this little 88 page book. I think everyone in his/her lifetime should read this book and try to be more eco-friendly.
Here's the ebook link: http://file.henrikedstrom.com/cps/SKM...
ene nomiig yalanguya togtvortoi hugjliin tuhai hicheel zaalgaagui mongol humuus unshaad uuriin heregleegee uur untsguus haraad uzeesee, uuriin chin baigald orchind uzuulj bgaa footprint yu bilee geed bodood uzeesei gj bodloo. Yalanguya hugjij bui
Lei Koopmans
STUFF, The Secret Lives of Everyday Things by John C. Ryan Alan Thein Durning

In this book, John explains the secret lives that everyday materials go through before becoming into their complete state. It is based on a typical North American day, and is detailed to the point that there is no single detail that could possibly be missing. He includes things like his morning coffee, his car and bike, and his shoes he wears. He explains how they are manufactured, and every step it took to become the
Winifred
A group of us went out to lunch together and the topic of ordering vegetarian meal came up, and in turn this brought about the California water crisis. A friend brought in this book and introduced me to it, I am blown away that the information is from 1997 yet still holds true. How was I so not informed in my school days and not until recently was educated on the topic of consumption/earth balance/meat industry?

A good read for anyone who is willing to listen and reconsider their lifestyle from
Christa - Ron Paul 2016
This was an interesting book about hoarders and some of the problems they face with getting rid of their things. Barriers in their minds that some people may not realize at all, and others see in themselves. One or two chapters were rather boring, but when she was talking about real stories I found it interesting.
goldread ~
Feb 05, 2008 goldread ~ rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERY ONE
Shelves: a-must, nonfiction
on average, people in the US dispose of 5lbs. of waste every day.
this book breaks down the cycle that we take part in on a daily basis and it is pretty involved.
i can attribute this book in part, to the inspiration that i had to have one week out of every month where i do not purchase any products that have any thing to do with adding to the landfills, even eliminating recycleables; bringing reusable bags every where i go, eating at home, ect. it is quite challenging.
try it out if you like.
Sandy
should be required reading for EVERY child in the 1st World. What we either never bother to think about or bluntly chose not to see this book highlights the hidden effects of EVERY SINGLE THING WE USE IN OUR DAILY LIVES... be it a cup of coffee... or the book itself that tells us all... very powerful and depressing... but STUFF WE GOTTA KNOW, More importantly, STUFF WE HAVE GOT TO OWN UP TO and BE RESPONSIBLE FOR.
Ramona
Awesome little book! Easy read. Very informative! It goes over the resources used in making a specific product (e.g. a t-shirt, a hamburger, a newspaper, coffee, cars, etc), using it, and disposing of it. The information is presented in a fun, easy-to-read manner. I've assigned this as a textbook in a lot of my classes. Students really love it!
Jason Marciak
Ryan and Durning's Stuff is a must read for anyone interested in the full workings of their actions of consumption and production. It opens the mind to the full life of our objects and the effects that ideology of rampant, no holds barred capitalism has on the natural environment and civilization as a whole. An excellent read.
Brian
This book describes a lot about the supply chains of everyday goods and how they impact the environment. Though each chapter ends with suggestions about how to make things better, the overall tone of the book is nevertheless a bit down/depressing. Nevertheless, a decent read.
Tia
Jul 11, 2007 Tia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know where their stuff comes from!
A quick, fun, informative read that gives you a basic idea where all your everyday items come from, how they're made, and how many resources went into making them.
Winston
Good quick read. ya, where does the "stuff" of everyday come from. What is the foot print of my easy livin.
sana
Very cool book. Drives the point home that we live in a global world. It's a short and easy read
Lafcadio
May 03, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Liam
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Dan
All of the specifics about the stuff you sort of already knew. Made me think harder about my shoes.
Noel Pranoto
to live simple, as simplest as you can. that's modern human being should be.
Boobarella
This is definitely a book everyone should read.
Jung
Oct 12, 2008 Jung rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: environmentalists, policy makers, consumers
Somewhat depressing and pretty fascinating.
Ming
imformative, but very discouraging
Aubrey
Informative, depressing.
Denise
Fascinating little book.
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Gavin Scanlon
Gavin Scanlon marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Cheryl Ratcliff
Cheryl Ratcliff marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Andi Bohs
Andi Bohs marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Nicholas Clark
Nicholas Clark marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Brian
Brian added it
Feb 26, 2015
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists
  • Break Through: From the Death of Environmentalism to the Politics of Possibility
  • The Post-Corporate World: Life After Capitalism
  • Natural Capitalism
  • Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
  • The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems
  • A Simpler Way
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature
  • Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences
  • Blue Gold: The Fight to Stop the Corporate Theft of the World's Water
  • Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • The End of Work
  • Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things
  • The Overworked American: The Unexpected Decline Of Leisure
  • Mindstorms: Children, Computers, And Powerful Ideas
  • The Impossible Will Take a Little While: Perseverance and Hope in Troubled Times
Seven Wonders: Everyday Things for a Healthier Planet State of the Northwest, Revised 2000 Edition (New Report, 9) Over Our Heads: A Local Look At Global Climate (New Report, No. 6) Hazardous Handouts: Northwest Environment Watch Reports Life Support: Conserving Biological Diversity