Start by marking “Field Guide to the Birds of Australia: A Book of Identification” as Want to Read:
Field Guide to the Birds of Australia: A Book of Identification

Field Guide to the Birds of Australia: A Book of Identification

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A reference guide for the birds of Australia, which contains 20 plates, and a distribution map for each species showing subspecies distribution where appropriate. It contains over 1000 black and white illustrations that illustrate behaviours, flight silhouettes, comparisons between related species and other useful identification pointers.
392 pages
Published October 28th 1993 by Penguin Australia (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Field Guide to the Birds of Australia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field Guide to the Birds of Australia

Terri
I prefer the photographic guides, but this is a good illustrated that I use for secondary id.
Beverly Dowdell
We have the 6th Edition completely revised and it's quite brilliant especially for Graham and myself identifying birds as we see both adult and juvenile markings and with the in flight wing markings and their habitat locations to pinpoint a match.
Bec Kenny
My most referenced book on the shelf.
Emma
Oct 09, 2011 Emma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emma by: Wood family
Shelves: reference
This is a fantastic book, intuitive to use and really easy to find the bird you're looking for. So satisfying to find the name of something! Why is this? I do not know. Anyway - I really recommend this.
Mel
I practically wore this book out during my year and a half in NSW Australia. A great guide to general identification, along with relevant information of interest.
Kit A.
Mar 02, 2011 Kit A. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any level of bird watcher
Shelves: non-fiction
This wonderfully descriptive guide has been a great help to me, a newcomer to Oz, in identifying all the new birds I've come into contact with recently.
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Very informative book on all the birds chirping away around the house.
Home
Nina
Nina added it
Oct 21, 2014
Jason Young
Jason Young marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Sep 03, 2014
Amanda Gayle
Amanda Gayle marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Antony Bellamy
Antony Bellamy marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Jane
Jane added it
Jul 07, 2013
Philbo29
Philbo29 marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2013
The Princeton Field Guide to the Birds of Australia Birdwatching in Australia & New Zealand Winning By Beginning: Transform Your Body with the Isagenix IsaBody Challenge Soil Back to the Future: In Search of an Effective Tourism Planning Model