Start by marking “Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld” as Want to Read:
Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld

Shows about Nothing: Nihilism in Popular Culture from the Exorcist to Seinfeld

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The glamorous portrayal of evil in film and television, frequently denounced as an attack on family values and an incitement to real-life violence, is more complicated and more disturbing than we realize. Exploring the themes and artistry of landmark films and television shows, Thomas Hibbs argues that the demonic antiheroes and seductive comic evil of popular culture are ...more
Published December 1st 2000 by Spence Publishing Company (first published December 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Shows about Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shows about Nothing

Lee
This was a good book. Not exactly what I was hoping for. It provided a great explanation of nihilism and how it's displayed in many types of shows. I would have enjoyed a more movie centric analysis, but it's good to understand some of the major philosophical influences on our society (Nietzsche, Descartes, etc.) I've probably only ever seen a handful of Seinfeld episodes and never had imagined how nihilistic it was. The other complaint I have is that the movies it did discuss, I've never seen ( ...more
Kevin Heldt
This was a great book--and one of the more "different" books I've read. I thought it worked better as a series of insightful movie and TV show reviews, though I do think he made a compelling argument for the trending of our culture towards nihilism.
Don Incognito
A study of nihilism in television and movies--including The Exorcist, Trainspotting, Natural Born Killers, The Silence of the Lambs, Seinfeld, and The Simpsons (ouch). Mentions some of popular nihilism's antecedents in philosophy and literature.
Robert Hubbard
It interesting and I enjoyed it but it was a little hard to read. It felt more like I was reading an essay then a book and in some parts I had to have a dictionary near by to look up words.
Frank Roberts
Excellent critique of our modern popular culture
Jess
Veeeeddy eentaresting.
Lauren Lin
Lauren Lin marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
j to the muthafuckin R
j to the muthafuckin R marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Casey Kiser
Casey Kiser marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2015
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Laura Mahler
Laura Mahler marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Emily Kolacz
Emily Kolacz marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Benjamin Jackson
Benjamin Jackson marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
George Dimitrov
George Dimitrov marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kelcey
Kelcey added it
Oct 27, 2014
Claudia Cordero
Claudia Cordero marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Cellularluminescent
Cellularluminescent marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sean Chick
Sean Chick marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Jason Murray
Jason Murray marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Arts of Darkness: American Noir and the Quest for Redemption Soliloquies Virtue's Splendor: Wisdom, Prudence, and the Human Good Aquinas, Ethics, and Philosophy of Religion: Metaphysics and Practice Dialectic and Narrative In Aquinas: An Interpretation of the Summa Contra Gentiles (Revisions: A Series of Books on Ethics Vol 12)