Start by marking “Leo the Lop” as Want to Read:
Leo the Lop

Leo the Lop (Serendipity)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,643 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
A lovable flop-eared bunny named Leo the Lop lives in the magical land of Serendipity where its residents share life lessons and memorable morals. In Leo's first adventure, he and the other bunnies learn that no matter what you look like, everyone is normal. Full-color illustrations.
Published January 14th 2002 by Price Stern Sloan (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Leo the Lop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leo the Lop

Natalie Gareau
Nov 22, 2012 Natalie Gareau rated it it was amazing
Leo, the bunny with drooping ears, decides that his ears should point up instead of down. Through his efforts, and the hijinx of the group, he discovers that normal is whatever you are.

The illustrator of Leo the Lop is Robin James. The cover art for the book shows a soft brown bunny closing his eyes to enjoy the smell of a flower. This shows Leo as a kind and thoughtful creature.

The illustrations are in the cartoon style. When each image is looked at, the reader will pay more attention to the ch
Josiah
Feb 17, 2016 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how Stephen Cosgrove has flown under the radar of literary acclaim the way he mostly has since his authorial debut in 1974. His Serendipity stories are as good as any comparable classic one could point to, as perceptive and profound as Aesop's fables of old, but softer and sweeter. Stephen Cosgrove's parables are direct and effective but state their case with winsome mildness, and few of them do it better than Leo the Lop. Countless books for kids address issues of accepting differ ...more
Angela Oliver
The last of my Serendiptiy hardbacks, Leo the Lop is as old as me. Robin James' charming art lends itself especially well to the smooth and soft shapes of bunny rabbits, and the story is a simple delight. In more earthy colours, the tale is told of Leo, one of a very large bunny litter whose ears go down, instead of up. He feels perfectly happy and normal - until the other bunnies begin to notice and start to laugh at him. This leads him into a period of insecurity, and feeling that he not norma ...more
Rachel A.
Jan 01, 2016 Rachel A. rated it it was amazing
This has always been one of my favourite children's books, and upon re-reading it, I remember exactly why. It's an excellent book about being "normal" using Leo's ears as an example. Leo's a rabbit whose ears droop down, while all the other rabbits' ears go straight up. After hearing that they are not normal, both Leo and the other rabbits try to change their ears to fit what they think they "should" look like. The book has an excellent message about self-acceptance (not to mention very cute ill ...more
Jugglerilluminati Ur Mom!
very gud leooo the loop m8
Rosa Cline
Oct 02, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, favorites, 2016, 2017
I am so glad I found these books once again. I remember reading them as a little girl and loving them, actually wearing out the copies my elementary school library had. These books always have cute animals as main characters but always have a moral at the end of the story. My special needs adult son and I loved it and it was just as special as I remembered it nearly 40 years ago.
Alyssa Frank
Oct 30, 2014 Alyssa Frank rated it really liked it
Leo the Lop is about a young rabbit born with droopy ears among all of his brothers and sisters who's ear stood upright. Leo didn't see anything wrong with himself but the other rabbits laughed at him and told him he was not normal. Leo did everything he could to make his ears stand up straight, he exercised and even hung upside down so that his ears might learn which way to fall. While he was hanging, a possum came by and asked what Leo was doing. After Leo told him, the possum told Leo he thou ...more
Angie
Jul 22, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s

Synopsis: "Leo the rabbit whose ears are different from all the other rabbits learns that "normal is whatever you are."

My Review: While Leo the Lop wasn't always my favorite I still enjoyed it when I was a kid and still do! Such a cute little bunny! The illustrations are amazing in this and all the serendipity books, Robin James is fantastic! Leo didn't know any thing was wrong with his ears until the other bunnies finally told him that his floppy ears was what they were laughing at, if only we
Jen
Nov 15, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So what I'm learning in going back and re-reading my Serendipity books is that the creatures of Serendipity Forest are all followers and jerks.

I say this because this is about Leo, whose ears droop where all the other bunnies' point up. So they make fun of him, of course, which is where the jerks part comes in, until he tells them that he's normal. So then they try to make their ears like his, which is the followers bit.

Fortunately there's a possum who thinks all the bunnies are nuts and tells
Erika Gregory
Nov 03, 2012 Erika Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-stories
Leo the Lop is a very heartwarming story. Leo wants nothing more than to be just like all the other rabbits and have his ears point up. However, they dont they fall down and wont stay up by themselves. Leo is sad that the doesnt look the same as all his other friends. This story would show children that while you may look different than others you are still beautiful and desserve to be treated the same. Leo's friends still love him and that is all that is importnat, not the way he looks. This st ...more
Caranna
Jun 26, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
Leo is a bunny with very floppy ears. He feels perfectly happy and content until the other bunnies begin to notice that Leo is different and start to laugh at him. After looking at all of the other bunnies Leo decides that his ears should point up, so he can be like every body else.

Leo tries all kinds of things to make his ears stand up. As he is hanging upside down with a possum, in an attempt to be normal - that little possum makes a very profound statement:

"...normal is whatever you are!"

We
Julia Brumfield
Sep 01, 2014 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book, serendipity
A wonderful start to a collection of stories with Leo the Lop as the main character. Children will fall in love with this cute bunny who seems to have so many problems with wanting to fit the crowd or to be someone else while in this first adventure of his he and his fellow bunnies finds the pretty wise lesson of "what is normal?".

The collection of cute bunnies along with slightly poetic and simple writing will fascinate kids to the magic of the bunny known as Leo.
"KayFey"
Apr 05, 2013 "KayFey" rated it really liked it
I learned what a Lop rabbit was before the rest of my class. Wonderful, inspiring illustrations and well-written stories. I tried to collect them. They used to be available in a store in the Skylake Mall during the mid-1980s. My 5th-grade classroom also had them in our class library. Wonderful memories.
Susan
Aug 06, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
This was always one of my favourite Serendipity books when I was a child. I still enjoy it as an adult. The 'normal is what you are' message is a good one. The illustrations are lovely. Overall a wonderful read.
Alita
Aug 01, 2007 Alita rated it really liked it
Did you love the Serendipity books when you were a kid? If not, you missed some truly lovely little books. Go now -- git! -- to the bookstore and show that special kid in your life some Stephen Cosgrove magic.
Ilana
Jan 26, 2016 Ilana rated it it was amazing
This series of books is the most wonderfully illustrated, sweetest series available for children. Each book is beautiful, the animals are so sweetly drawn and each book teaches a wonderful lesson. I still have all of my original copies from my childhood (the 90s).
LeeAnn G
Jan 11, 2011 LeeAnn G rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first books my mom ever got me. I stil have it and the book satchel it came with. Then when I came into adulthood I started collecting them. I truly love this series of Serendipity.
laura
Mar 27, 2007 laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
The Leo the Lop series and the other Serendipity books are so beautifully illustrated and have such cute little "lessons" that they may well have inspired my life-long love of reading. Those, and the little golden books, of course. ;)
Lynnea
Apr 08, 2009 Lynnea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, fiction
I found this book in my classroom and read it to my class today, since it's about a bunny and Easter is coming up. It was a very good lesson in how people (okay, I guess rabbits) are different and "normal is whatever you are." I just really liked this book! :)
Lacy
Dec 26, 2015 Lacy rated it liked it
I remember reading Serendipity when I was a child. It was my sister's book, so I thought it was really special. This book is part of the "Serendipity" series. Leo and the other rabbits discover that everyone is "normal."
Seth Lebaron
Dec 03, 2012 Seth Lebaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-and-discuss
This story allows readers to see how it feels to be made fun of for peoples differences. I would use this book to open up a dicussion on bullying or just to talk to students about how it is ok to be different because none of us are the same.
Beth
Jul 26, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
The kids chose 5 stars because they learned that no matter what you look like they're all still normal!
Ashley
Jan 21, 2011 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Check out my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing for my thoughts and memories of the Serendipity series!
Jill
Dec 08, 2007 Jill rated it it was amazing
i can't even describe how much i love this book or how many times, as a child, i poured over the illustrations.
Shelby Rollenhagen
This book is great for children. I have never read anything by Stephen Cosgrove that wasn't entertaining for children while also presenting them with valuable lessons.
Mikana
Sep 02, 2015 Mikana rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a beautiful story to share with your young ones, that offers more than just pretty pictures, then this is the story to share with your loved ones.
Toyah
Apr 17, 2014 Toyah rated it it was amazing
This was mentioned to me by my partner and I loved it. A cute story about being different, being "normal" and celebrating uniqueness. Great illustrations too!
Feb 28, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
I Think That It Was An Awesome Book!!!
I Hope You Guys Also Like It!!

Sincerely!!!
Jul 20, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it
Children's story, discusses differences and that "being normal" is just being yourself and not trying to be like everyone else.
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any child.
Recommended to Dee by: School librarian.
A great story about being different, and how differences make us special, even if others don't understand. These books have such great messages for kids.
  • Buford the Little Bighorn
  • The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money
  • Dinner Time
  • Froggy Plays in the Band
  • The Market Square Dog

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé
  • Crickle-Crack (Serendipity)
  • Dragolin

“The rabbits though and thought. "If we're normal and Leo is normal, then normal is whatever you are!” 14 likes