Start by marking “Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings

Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings

What is the mind? Is consciousness a process in the brain? How do our minds represent the world?

Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings is a grand tour of writings on these and other perplexing questions about the nature of the mind. The most comprehensive collection of its kind, the book includes sixty-three selections that range from the classical contri
Paperback, 1st edition, 675 pages
Published July 25th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Mind

Richard Newton
Apr 14, 2014 Richard Newton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I used this book extensively on the Philosophy of Mind module on my philosophy degree. It has a wide range of papers you could spend an age trying to find individually, including many of the classic and often referenced examples from Nagel, Jackson, Putnam, Burge, Lewis, Fodor and Kim - not to forget Chalmers himself. This is not a light read and some of the papers are fairly technical, but not all, and when they are they mostly reward the careful reader with new insights. Chalmers is famous for ...more
Oct 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I went back and read this cover to cover. Some of the articles blew my mind, and I'd give them 12 stars if I could. Others are snoozefests. Depends on what kind of philosophy you like. Either way, I have never written so many notes in the margin of a book in my entire life. And on papers stuck into the binding. And on articles that it lead me to, which are now stuck between its pages. This is a volume of brainchildren, not ironically.
Michael Lundie
Sep 01, 2014 Michael Lundie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I read this compendium of major contributions to philosophy of mind during my undergraduate studies. I found the scope of culled readings sufficiently wide in scope to provide a firm grounding in the dialectical exchange. This was done without expense to the anthology's objective to provide only an introduction, thus the selection is narrow enough in scope to stop short of an exhaustive treatment of its subject area. Highly recommended to those new to philosophy of mind.
Cai Guo
Aug 09, 2015 Cai Guo rated it really liked it
A really wonderful compilation of classical papers in philosophy of mind --- but the subject per se is downright obscure and beyond my comfort zone.
Shireen
Nov 30, 2012 Shireen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, studies
I didn't read the whole book, but I finished all the readings assigned by my tutor for the Philosophy of Mind online course. It's a comprehensive look at the top philosophers' writings on the hard problem of the mind. This is more of an academic book than a straight read, and it'll be a good reference for my continuing studies in this area. My only real beef with it is that it doesn't come in ePub format (or any ebook format).
Worthless Bum
Apr 07, 2009 Worthless Bum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-cat, philosophy
An excellent introduction to the Philosophy of Mind, canvassing all of the major views in that field since Decartes. This is a textbook consisting of papers and excerts from longer works of philosophers.

I have to return this book soon, and will not get the opportunity to finish it, but this is definitely a book to purchase if I don't end up reading the work by most of the philosophers contained therein.
Austin Mann
May 04, 2016 Austin Mann rated it really liked it
This is pretty comprehensive collection of major works in the philosophy of mind with clearly written prefaces to each major section by its author, David Chalmers. It's a valuable resource for people seriously interested in the subject.
Hisham
Sep 05, 2014 Hisham marked it as to-read
Man
I spent around 3 hours on two pages
Just trying to understand what the heck is the writer trying to say

Urrrggg
William Crosby
Oct 17, 2012 William Crosby rated it liked it
Discussion of consciousness. Lots of made-up words, convoluted philosophical arguments and references to zombies and evil fairies.
Kris
Oct 12, 2008 Kris rated it liked it
Ok, not cover to cover, but I read enough of a majority to justify adding it as read.
Desiderio
Nov 30, 2009 Desiderio rated it it was amazing
Grabs all modern and background information beautifuly, and allows one to fully postulate one's own ideas and position.
William
William marked it as to-read
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
grendel
grendel marked it as to-read
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Thanat0sa
Thanat0sa marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Avlane
Avlane rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
David X. Lima
David X. Lima marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Sheldon Mann
Sheldon Mann rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
AlBatool AlAmari
AlBatool AlAmari marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Coiajoafwej
Coiajoafwej marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Sytse
Sytse marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
John
John added it
Sep 11, 2016
konstantin lyons
konstantin lyons marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Lezjon
Lezjon marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
  • Philosophy of Mind
  • The Rediscovery of the Mind (Representation and Mind)
  • Philosophy of Mind: A Contemporary Introduction
  • Sweet Dreams: Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
  • Matter and Consciousness: A Contemporary Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind
  • The Modularity of Mind
  • Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness
  • Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension
  • Epistemology: An Anthology
  • Reason, Truth and History
  • Logical Positivism
  • The Concept of Mind
David J. Chalmers is a philosopher at the Australian National University. Officially: Professor of Philosophy, Director of the Centre for Consciousness, and an ARC Federation Fellow. Works in the philosophy of mind and in related areas of philosophy and cognitive science and is especially interested in consciousness and in philosophical issues about meaning and possibility, in the foundations of c ...more
More about David J. Chalmers...