Start by marking “Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings

Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings

What is the mind? Is consciousness a process in the brain? How do our minds represent the world?

Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings is a grand tour of writings on these and other perplexing questions about the nature of the mind. The most comprehensive collection of its kind, the book includes sixty-three selections that range from the classical contri
Paperback, 1st edition, 675 pages
Published July 25th 2002 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Mind

Richard Newton
Apr 14, 2014 Richard Newton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I used this book extensively on the Philosophy of Mind module on my philosophy degree. It has a wide range of papers you could spend an age trying to find individually, including many of the classic and often referenced examples from Nagel, Jackson, Putnam, Burge, Lewis, Fodor and Kim - not to forget Chalmers himself. This is not a light read and some of the papers are fairly technical, but not all, and when they are they mostly reward the careful reader with new insights. Chalmers is famous for ...more
Oct 20, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
I went back and read this cover to cover. Some of the articles blew my mind, and I'd give them 12 stars if I could. Others are snoozefests. Depends on what kind of philosophy you like. Either way, I have never written so many notes in the margin of a book in my entire life. And on papers stuck into the binding. And on articles that it lead me to, which are now stuck between its pages. This is a volume of brainchildren, not ironically.
Michael Lundie
Sep 01, 2014 Michael Lundie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I read this compendium of major contributions to philosophy of mind during my undergraduate studies. I found the scope of culled readings sufficiently wide in scope to provide a firm grounding in the dialectical exchange. This was done without expense to the anthology's objective to provide only an introduction, thus the selection is narrow enough in scope to stop short of an exhaustive treatment of its subject area. Highly recommended to those new to philosophy of mind.
Cai Guo
Aug 09, 2015 Cai Guo rated it really liked it
A really wonderful compilation of classical papers in philosophy of mind --- but the subject per se is downright obscure and beyond my comfort zone.
Nov 30, 2012 Shireen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, studies
I didn't read the whole book, but I finished all the readings assigned by my tutor for the Philosophy of Mind online course. It's a comprehensive look at the top philosophers' writings on the hard problem of the mind. This is more of an academic book than a straight read, and it'll be a good reference for my continuing studies in this area. My only real beef with it is that it doesn't come in ePub format (or any ebook format).
Worthless Bum
Apr 07, 2009 Worthless Bum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-cat, philosophy
An excellent introduction to the Philosophy of Mind, canvassing all of the major views in that field since Decartes. This is a textbook consisting of papers and excerts from longer works of philosophers.

I have to return this book soon, and will not get the opportunity to finish it, but this is definitely a book to purchase if I don't end up reading the work by most of the philosophers contained therein.
Austin Mann
May 04, 2016 Austin Mann rated it really liked it
This is pretty comprehensive collection of major works in the philosophy of mind with clearly written prefaces to each major section by its author, David Chalmers. It's a valuable resource for people seriously interested in the subject.
Sep 05, 2014 Hisham marked it as to-read
I spent around 3 hours on two pages
Just trying to understand what the heck is the writer trying to say

William Crosby
Oct 17, 2012 William Crosby rated it liked it
Discussion of consciousness. Lots of made-up words, convoluted philosophical arguments and references to zombies and evil fairies.
Oct 12, 2008 Kris rated it liked it
Ok, not cover to cover, but I read enough of a majority to justify adding it as read.
Nov 30, 2009 Desiderio rated it it was amazing
Grabs all modern and background information beautifuly, and allows one to fully postulate one's own ideas and position.
José Oroño
José Oroño marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Iman Jahandideh
Iman Jahandideh marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Ankine Antaram
Ankine Antaram marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Nemo Perez
Nemo Perez rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Swati marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Ali marked it as to-read
Jana rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Matija Bartol
Matija Bartol marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Luis Brito
Luis Brito marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Ihssan Ib
Ihssan Ib marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Matt marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Emil Allen
Emil Allen marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2016
Ville Kokko
Ville Kokko marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2016
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Ahmed marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Seldias marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Ron Baumann
Ron Baumann rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
  • Philosophy of Mind
  • The Rediscovery of the Mind (Representation and Mind)
  • Philosophy of Mind: A Contemporary Introduction
  • Sweet Dreams: Philosophical Obstacles to a Science of Consciousness
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
  • Matter and Consciousness: A Contemporary Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind
  • The Modularity of Mind
  • Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness
  • Supersizing the Mind: Embodiment, Action, and Cognitive Extension
  • Epistemology: An Anthology
  • Reason, Truth and History
  • Logical Positivism
  • The Concept of Mind
David J. Chalmers is a philosopher at the Australian National University. Officially: Professor of Philosophy, Director of the Centre for Consciousness, and an ARC Federation Fellow. Works in the philosophy of mind and in related areas of philosophy and cognitive science and is especially interested in consciousness and in philosophical issues about meaning and possibility, in the foundations of c ...more
More about David J. Chalmers...