U2 and Philosophy: How to Decipher an Atomic Band

U2 and Philosophy: How to Decipher an Atomic Band (Popular Culture and Philosophy #21)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Is it possible to be a committed Christian and a rock superstar? Can political activists make good music? Do hugely successful rock bands really care about AIDS and poverty in Africa, or is it just another image-enhancing schtick? U2 and Philosophy ponders these and other seeming dichotomies in the career of the Irish supergroup. For over two decades, U2 has been one of th...more
Published November 8th 2006 by Open Court

To ask other readers questions about U2 and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about U2 and Philosophy

Christopher Kanas
Been a huge fan of the band since it's inception and love spiritual philosophy so it would seem like this would be a book made in heaven but it falls a bit short of the mark. Not to say I didn't learn something new about U2 or something new in philosophy but the mixture together wasn't as engaging as I imagined it would be.

"I'm always attracted to subjects you can't really get a grip on, like sex or God." -Bono

And that would be a great way to describe this book, it never really flows from one po...more
Samuel
Mar 03, 2009 Samuel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: U2 fans, spiritually curious
This book was hit or miss for me. It is written by a different author each chapter, so some of those resonated with me, others didn't. It definitely gets deep into philosophy, sometimes over my head, but if you're into philosophy, you'll probably really like it. If you're looking for a little bit of a lighter read, try One Step Closer, it's a litte more opinion based, but an easy read.
Johnny D
Is Zarathustra "better than the real thing" Was Judas redeemed? Where are the streets with no name? I love the pop culture and philosophy books, even in their goofier moments and I can't imagine a bono-file's library being complete without this gem
Ben Summerour
As of right now, the book's going fine, but can be very repetetive and not all too great. The author does hold down some pretty solid points, however.
Jeanette Burchaski
This book definitely wouldn't be for everyone.... You have to not only be a huge U2 fan, but also a philosophy geek..... Interesting stuff though.
Tara
I did not agree with his ideas about the meaning of U2 songs.
Pooyan
Pooyan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Neal Cross
Neal Cross marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Luana Barbosa
Luana Barbosa marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Kim Schultz
Kim Schultz marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Jenny Park
Jenny Park marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jun 11, 2013
Giulio Granchelli
Giulio Granchelli marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Hasibuddin Ahmed
Hasibuddin Ahmed is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
How to Read Heidegger Heidegger and Unconcealment: Truth, Language, and History Religion After Metaphysics Heidegger, Coping, and Cognitive Science: Essays in Honor of Hubert L. Dreyfus, Volume 2 Heidegger, Authenticity, and Modernity: Essays in Honor of Hubert L. Dreyfus, Volume 1