Start by marking “101 Things You Should Know How to Do” as Want to Read:
101 Things You Should Know How to Do

101 Things You Should Know How to Do

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Shouldn’t life come with an instruction manual? Now it does. Here’s a how-to guide to 101 things that everyone should know—but many of us don’t! The tips range from the domestic, such as how to unclog a backed-up sink and chop an onion without tears, to the outdoorsy, such as how to pitch a tent and build a blazing campfire. Readers will learn how to get a barber-quality s ...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Sterling (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things You Should Know How to Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things You Should Know How to Do

Janet
Dec 26, 2009 Janet rated it it was ok
This book can be divided into three sections— “Activities you need prior know-how and tools to accomplish,” (like I really have a hacksaw and the ability to cut glass to certain measurements in order to know how to frame a picture myself) “Activities that have been over thought until the directions read like an engineering textbook” (Do we really need three pages on how to mop a floor?) and “Activities that are so simple I can’t believe you have to give people directions on how to do them” (Real ...more
Morgan
Feb 22, 2014 Morgan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nice design and I appreciate that power napping is among the 101 things I should know how to do. Many of the values in this book, however, perpetuate outdated sexist ideas and stuff that can make people feel bad about their bodies and themselves. Flip through it, add some things to your bucket list and garner tips for decluttering your home, and put it back on the shelf.
Joey
Feb 19, 2009 Joey rated it liked it
I loved the title of this book that is why I snagged it off the discount shelf at Barnes and Noble. And it is a pretty good book, there are some nifty things in it I did not know how to do, that said, I needed more illustrations. I cannot tie a windsor knot from read instructions. I really need pictures to walk me thru. But this book would be great for that someone setting out on their own for the first time.
Seanmallory
Jan 02, 2011 Seanmallory rated it liked it
Very handy end-table book to have. Learn how to do all kinds of things. Just having the knowledge of how to do this stuff is handy in its own right. Some things will make you look macho. Some things will make you look sensitive and creative. If you memorize all 101 things in this book, you're sure to get laid. That's all I'm trying to say.

Also, if you just want to know how to do stuff... it'll suffice.
Marjorie Elwood
Sep 10, 2009 Marjorie Elwood rated it did not like it
Strangely enough, this book is somewhat misogynistic in attitude. Not much here that I thought "necessary" to know (I mean, I like chess and all, but I wouldn't consider it essential....). Nonetheless, there were a few tips, such as "how to paint a room" and "how to taste wine", that were of use.
Sb
Dec 02, 2012 Sb rated it liked it
Completely simple read and one that is probably useful for most people to read. Many of the things in this book I already knew, but there were plenty that I didn't. Many little tidbits of knowledge that are useful in everyday circumstances and as hobbies.
Sharlene
Jan 17, 2012 Sharlene rated it liked it
A few good how-tos for the whole family... Although I will still lose at chess and won't appreciate the art of chopping an onion without crying
Michael Hinsley
May 16, 2010 Michael Hinsley rated it liked it
This one got me on 'The Hospital Fold". I think I learned that one at around 8 years of age. This was genuinely amusing.
Steven
May 14, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summary of some useful information. Worth a borrow from your library, as it is a fast read.
Jen
Aug 09, 2009 Jen rated it liked it
everything
Reyhan
Reyhan marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Selcuk Dogan
Selcuk Dogan marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kirk
Kirk marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Utkarsh
Utkarsh marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Destiny
Destiny rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2016
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Mariah
Mariah marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Virginia Giles
Virginia Giles marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
ezgi
ezgi added it
May 18, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Leshea Upchurch
Leshea Upchurch marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Amanda Rostami
Amanda Rostami marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Will Smith
Will Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Cliff Wallace
Cliff Wallace marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Julius Wright
Julius Wright marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Ashley
Ashley added it
Dec 04, 2015
Joe McConniel
Joe McConniel marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More about Michael Powell...