Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir

Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Compelling and heartrending, this personal memoir chronicles the author's decision not to put her mother, who has Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, in "one of those homes" andrelays the far-reaching consequences this choice has on her entire family. Detailing the challenges of reversing roles and learning to mother one's own mother, this refreshing and entertaining auto...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Kunati Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Mothering Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mothering Mother

Marfita
Jul 31, 2009 Marfita rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People in the same situation who need to be cheered up and reminded how good they have it
Recommended to Marfita by: my now former supervisor (one of many - I'm hard on them)
Each experience with Alzheimer's (or other dementia) is individual and unique, but there are many connecting points for anyone who cares for the elderly. Both of my parents are now gone, but I had a little trouble relating to this book because my experience was so different. O'Dell's mother adopted her when she was a child. Her mother was a preacher who occasionally slapped her around. O'Dell was rebellious as a teen. When O'Dell's husband was transferred out of state and there was no one to car...more
Jerry
Caring for a parent with Alzheimer’s must be devastating. The disintegration of personality, the abusiveness, and the confusion. It calls into question the whole notion of sanity. When Carol O’Dell’s mother adopted her, she insisted that Carol would be taking care of mom when she got old. As the Alzheimer’s set in, so did the promise. As mom becomes more abusive, this commitment feels almost overwhelming.

As the disease advanced, O’Dell became more immersed in her mother’s daily care, but with l...more
Cheryl
A Wonderful, Heartfelt Memoir

Carol O’Dell, author of her debut memoir Mothering Mother, will make you laugh and cry. Her heartfelt chronicle about caring for her dying mother is an emotional tribute to self-sacrifice and a daughter’s unfailing love―an adopted daughter’s love, to be more precise.

Carol’s mother adopted her late in life and raised her in a strict, religious environment. But it perhaps is their faith that kept them all together until the end. Although she has her faults and may see...more
Red Evans
Oct 16, 2007 Red Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Most ages, but those 40 or over most
As our parents age, we age too and those behind us age, each level creating new lasting conflicts between us all. What is amazing is that the love we have for each other somehow survives those conflicts. That isn't to say that they don't leave scars. They do indeed.

It's the caring that is so difficult. Those who need the care resent the fact that they do need the care while those who don't need the care resent those who do. In the middle is where the scarring occurs the most. The care giver is...more
Sheila Good
I started reading this as part of my research. I began with a clinical, detached approach, but half way in I found myself drawn into deep into the emotion of this woman's journey as she not cares for her terminally ill mother, but comes to term with a life time of conflicts and confusion she has felt for her adoptive mother.

It is a powerful and moving story. One, I read for research, related to as a nurse and personally, could see a similar fate in my future.
Christy
This is a must read for anyone who has been a loved ones primary caregiver or is thinking about caring for a loved one. Actually, I think everyone should read it to understand what so many people are going through these days, whether it be caring for ailing parents, siblings or sick children!
Deanne
This is a heartwrenching book but one that should be read if you have had to care for your aging parent. It helps you cope and puts into words all the emotions that go along with it. This woman writes honestly.
Stephy
Oct 10, 2008 Stephy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is a caregiver, or a daughter, or a mother
Back in the 80's, I used several years of my life caring for my mother in her final illness. I've recovered, because this book made me laugh and remember and cry, and it touched my heart.
Lynn
Splendidly written story of the creation of a family and it's natural, poignant ending.

Lynn Hoffman, author of bang BANG
Rosemary
Full of heart--I shared this one with my daughter-in-law.
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Wkd
Wkd added it
May 01, 2013
Karen
Karen added it
Apr 21, 2013
Nique
Nique marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Yvonne Miller
Yvonne Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2012
Prerna Batra
Prerna Batra marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2012
Cristin
Cristin marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012