Start by marking “Western Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Western Philosophy

Western Philosophy

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
From ancient Greece to the leading philosophers of today, Western Philosophy: An Anthology provides the most comprehensive and authoritative survey of the Western philosophical tradition.

In 100 substantial and carefully chosen extracts, the volume covers all the main branches of philosophy - theory of knowledge and metaphysics, philosophy of mind, religion and science, mor

Published November 14th 1996 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Western Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Western Philosophy

James
Jun 24, 2007 James rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Budding philosophers
Shelves: recently-read
This is a textbook containing primarily edited, condensed, and referenced pieces of philosophy. While it does not do proper justice to any particular philosopher, it is very good at introducing one to the basic questions of philosophy in general and how the great thinkers of history approached them. The book pays particular attention to Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume, Locke, and Neitzsche.
Karina
This was my textbook for Intro to Philosophy 100. We didn't go through all of it, but it was a good introduction. Of course, I wouldn't get half the stuff on my own if it wasn't for the teacher. I still remember Augustine's explanation about how God's foreknowledge of all our actions does not negate free will (a subject of my second exam paper, in part).
Karena
Just got it to read a few essays (Plato, Nietzsche). Worth it.
Rosie
I found it a little difficult to understand why some philosophers were chosen in certain areas and why others were not. Since I withdrew from the OU course I had bought this for I decided to donate my copy to my local library as a reference book so that others could benefit from it rather than keeping it on my shelf at home where it would only have gathered dust (and potentially notes in the margins where I disagreed!)
Emily
Very concise and accessible commentary on various works of Western Philosophy. A great book for further reading into your studies.
Julia Kay
This anthology has made me cry on numerous occasions, and likes to make me feel thick as thick.
Jon
Aug 01, 2011 Jon added it
didn't read all of this one, for some reason it had no discussion of kris kross, what's the deal
Simon
Simon added it
Feb 26, 2015
Emma
Emma added it
Feb 25, 2015
Terry Cook
Terry Cook marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Caleb Spindler
Caleb Spindler marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Hudson
Hudson marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Chase Voorhees
Chase Voorhees marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Zohaib
Zohaib added it
Jan 08, 2015
Vitali
Vitali marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Kenton Smith
Kenton Smith is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Amit
Amit is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Cambridge Companion to Descartes The Rationalists: History of Western Philosophy 4 Descartes On the Meaning of Life Why Believe?