Start by marking “Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth” as Want to Read:
Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth

Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth

An excellent handbook for community activists, planners, teachers, students and policy makers.
Published July 1st 1998 by New Society Publishers (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Our Ecological Footprint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Ecological Footprint

stinaz
The seminal work on ecological footprinting, Our Ecological Footprint is a great starter on the concept and how ecological footprint analysis can help us move towards a more sustainable future. Ecological footprint analysis (EF) "estimates the resource consumption and waste assimilation requirements of a defined human population or economy in terms of a corresponding productive land area" (p9).

While the model explained in the book has a lot of limits, these are acknowledged and ecological footp
Terri Kempton
Mar 07, 2011 Terri Kempton rated it it was amazing
This book should be required reading for everyone on the planet - especially those of us who live beyond sustainability. So clear, so concise, so inspiring!
Marshall
Dec 11, 2010 Marshall rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Environmentalists
This book describes the Ecological Footprint analysis technique, written by its creators. This is the most promising approach to sustainability I've found thus far. It advocates replacing sustainability-as-sacrifice and sustainability-as-moralizing with an empirical approach in which "sustainability" is actually defined and quantified, and our impact on the Earth and environment is measured. This is just a model, and estimates must be used, as it's impossible to know exactly what the human carry ...more
Brent Ranalli
A short, very readable classic in environmental studies.
Brian
Apr 14, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
A reasonably well-written summary of the methodology of estimating ecological impacts on an individual and aggregate basis. The book struggles with being too simple (and simplistic) in places, and to nerdy and technical in others. First appearing nearly 20 years ago, it is somewhat dated in its statistics and other facts and could stand to be updated. However, in terms of raising awareness and providing a hopeful direction for the future we now are living, it is a worthwhile read.
Tia
May 30, 2007 Tia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sadhus
basically, this book tells you what your ecological footprint is, and then describes the ways you can reduce it. Unfortunately it requires a kind of radical shift in lifestyle that few would be willing to adopt. I live in a single house with 9 people, I don't own a car, I don't eat meat, I rarely buy new clothes or new products--and yet if everyone lived my lifestyle, we would still require three or four planets equivalent in size to Earth if everyone lived like me. The book is too disheartening ...more
Maria Soledad
Aug 16, 2016 Maria Soledad rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Jillian
Nov 17, 2009 Jillian rated it liked it
This is a really interesting way of looking at human consumption and the impacts on the environment. It's a little far out with some of the concepts, but overall, it makes you think.
Geetanjali
Aug 07, 2007 Geetanjali rated it it was amazing
A book that people must read to understand how immense the impact often is of their daily action's on the globe. The authors started this a a small graduate school project.
Alex
Jun 10, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: ecology, capitalism
the cartoons are nice. the message is obvious, just read the title and spare yourself the time.
Mateo
Mateo rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Leenah
Leenah rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Javis Kinanja
Javis Kinanja marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Robin Dunbar
Robin Dunbar marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Isa
Isa marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Julia Chanen
Julia Chanen rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Sherri Hart
Sherri Hart marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Alysson
Alysson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Yeshmanthi Ekanayake
Yeshmanthi Ekanayake marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Heitor Remigio
Heitor Remigio marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Lwin Mar
Lwin Mar marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Davic
Davic marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
  • Nowtopia: How Pirate Programmers, Outlaw Bicyclists, and Vacant-Lot Gardeners are Inventing the Future Today!
  • Beyond Growth: The Economics of Sustainable Development
  • Hope Beneath Our Feet: Restoring Our Place in the Natural World
  • Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Mattered
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • The Enemy of Nature: The End of Capitalism or the End of the World?
  • Made to Break: Technology and Obsolescence in America
  • Red Sky at Morning: America and the Crisis of the Global Environment
  • Becoming Native to This Place
  • The Sustainability Revolution: Portrait of a Paradigm Shift
  • Biopiracy: The Plunder of Nature and Knowledge
  • Blue Covenant: The Global Water Crisis and the Coming Battle for the Right to Water
  • Getting A Grip: Clarity, Creativity, and Courage in a World Gone Mad
  • The Tyranny of Oil: The World's Most Powerful Industry--and What We Must Do to Stop It
  • Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology
  • A Green History of the World: The Environment & the Collapse of Great Civilizations
  • The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial Societies
Mathis Wackernagel is a Swiss-born sustainability advocate. He is currently President of Global Footprint Network, an international sustainability think tank with offices in Oakland, California; Brussels, Belgium, and Geneva, Switzerland. The think-tank is a non-profit that focuses on developing and promoting metrics for sustainability.
After earning a degree in mechanical engineering from the Swis
More about Mathis Wackernagel...