Start by marking “Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Pojman's PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION offers a comprehensive sampling of newly emerging scholarship and also includes many essays that traditionally have proved successful in p[hilosophy of religion classrooms. The editor's lucid introductions preface articles by such important contemporary writers as Alvin Plantinga, Richard Swinburne, Robert Merrihew Adams, William Alston, Gar ...more
Published November 19th 2004 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Religion

Martin Lau
religion has as much value to modern life as Kanye West
Tiffany
Jun 25, 2007 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in religious studies
This book does a great job of presenting both sides of religious arguments such as "Does God exist?" "Why is there evil if God exists?" "What are the attributes of God?" etc. Full of articles, essays, and lectures. I really enjoyed reading the book - it was informative, easy to read, and had good evidence for both sides of the arguments.
Danielle
Read for TRELIG467 (Philosophy of Religion) at UW Tacoma.

This was a great text for introducing students to different areas of the analytical philosophy of religion. My biggest complaint is that so many of the articles were extremely old for an edition that was published so recently.
sr
Made some very strong cases for his views on religion. His alternative for belief (i.e. hope) is a very interesting idea and perhaps a better alternative than atheism for those that cannot find themselves believing. Makes a generous defence of religion as an aid to ethics.
Darryl
This was a great collection of essays. It was the text for my philosophy of religion class at BYU (a fantastic class.) It acted as a sort of taster for each of the authors of the different essays, so I think it's a great jumping off point for the subject.
Tylor Lovins
Terrible book. Pojman would have us ignore the many important advances Wittgensteinians have made in the philosophy of religion, really never acknowledging them. He would keep us at astrology when we can study astronomy.
Michael
Very accessible, but analytically rigorous. The reader should probably work through this book with a group, or at least a teacher. Subjects start getting a little exhaustive in Ch.4 with the Ontological arguments.
Rob Durham
An a excellent compilation of arguments and counter-arguments over some of the most subjects in philosophy of religion.
Jeff
One of two books being used in my Advanced Seminar.
Adrien Green
This guy is starting to collect dust on my shelf. I pick it up from time-to-time, but I'm convinced I'll never finish it. So here's my review. I bought Pojman's anthology because it's flat-out the most content-rich, well-balanced presentation on the subject of the existence of God, or lack thereof. Pojman includes compelling arguments for both sides. This is a thinking person's read. Since it's an anthology, it's easy to jump around, as Pojman has arranged the works in a very logical manner.
Cam Lam
Cam Lam marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Feb 08, 2015
Masesa Mweendalubi
Masesa Mweendalubi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Roxana
Roxana marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Patrick Thompson
Patrick Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • The Essential Writings
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • Sociology: A Down-To-Earth Approach
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy
  • Philosophy of Religion
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Epistemology: An Anthology
  • Fifty Key Contemporary Thinkers: From Structuralism to Postmodernity
  • The Enlightened Mind: An Anthology of Sacred Prose
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
  • A Force More Powerful: A Century of Non-Violent Conflict
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Spiritual Sayings Gibran
  • God and Other Minds: Study of the Rational Justification of Belief in God (Cornell Paperbacks)
  • 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Science
  • Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
  • Deschooling Our Lives
Ethics: Discovering Right and Wrong Classics of Philosophy Philosophy: The Quest for Truth The Theory of Knowledge: Classic and Contemporary Readings The Moral Life: An Introductory Reader In Ethics And Literature