Start by marking “Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Pojman's PHILOSOPHY OF RELIGION offers a comprehensive sampling of newly emerging scholarship and also includes many essays that traditionally have proved successful in p[hilosophy of religion classrooms. The editor's lucid introductions preface articles by such important contemporary writers as Alvin Plantinga, Richard Swinburne, Robert Merrihew Adams, William Alston, Gar ...more
Published November 19th 2004 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Philosophy of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Philosophy of Religion

Martin Lau
religion has as much value to modern life as Kanye West
Tiffany
Jun 25, 2007 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in religious studies
This book does a great job of presenting both sides of religious arguments such as "Does God exist?" "Why is there evil if God exists?" "What are the attributes of God?" etc. Full of articles, essays, and lectures. I really enjoyed reading the book - it was informative, easy to read, and had good evidence for both sides of the arguments.
Danielle
Read for TRELIG467 (Philosophy of Religion) at UW Tacoma.

This was a great text for introducing students to different areas of the analytical philosophy of religion. My biggest complaint is that so many of the articles were extremely old for an edition that was published so recently.
Peter
Made some very strong cases for his views on religion. His alternative for belief (i.e. hope) is a very interesting idea and perhaps a better alternative than atheism for those that cannot find themselves believing. Makes a generous defence of religion as an aid to ethics.
Darryl
This was a great collection of essays. It was the text for my philosophy of religion class at BYU (a fantastic class.) It acted as a sort of taster for each of the authors of the different essays, so I think it's a great jumping off point for the subject.
Tylor Lovins
Terrible book. Pojman would have us ignore the many important advances Wittgensteinians have made in the philosophy of religion, really never acknowledging them. He would keep us at astrology when we can study astronomy.
Michael
Very accessible, but analytically rigorous. The reader should probably work through this book with a group, or at least a teacher. Subjects start getting a little exhaustive in Ch.4 with the Ontological arguments.
Rob Durham
An a excellent compilation of arguments and counter-arguments over some of the most subjects in philosophy of religion.
Jeff
One of two books being used in my Advanced Seminar.
Adrien Green
This guy is starting to collect dust on my shelf. I pick it up from time-to-time, but I'm convinced I'll never finish it. So here's my review. I bought Pojman's anthology because it's flat-out the most content-rich, well-balanced presentation on the subject of the existence of God, or lack thereof. Pojman includes compelling arguments for both sides. This is a thinking person's read. Since it's an anthology, it's easy to jump around, as Pojman has arranged the works in a very logical manner.
Willian Costa
Willian Costa marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Subash Chandra
Subash Chandra marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Siti Norlailah
Siti Norlailah marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Danny
Danny added it
Oct 06, 2014
Caliban227
Caliban227 marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Daniel Christie
Daniel Christie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Cat_ski
Cat_ski marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Alexis
Alexis added it
Aug 30, 2014
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Tina Fusco
Tina Fusco marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Philosophy of Religion
  • A Kierkegaard Anthology
  • Sociology: A Down-To-Earth Approach
  • Does God Exist? An Answer for Today
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy
  • The Essential Writings
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • The Enlightened Mind: An Anthology of Sacred Prose
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
  • Deschooling Our Lives
  • The Sculptor in the Sky
  • Enlightenment Ain't What It's Cracked Up to Be: A Journey of Discovery, Snow and Jazz in the Soul
  • 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Science
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy: From Thales to Aristotle
  • Spiritual Sayings Gibran
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
Ethics: Discovering Right and Wrong Classics of Philosophy Philosophy: The Quest for Truth The Moral Life: An Introductory Reader In Ethics And Literature The Theory of Knowledge: Classic and Contemporary Readings